Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 12,174 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband is likely being transferred to Westford, MA. We currently live in NY. It has been suggested that we possibly look at living in NH. I would like to be as far South as we could be in NH. So I suppose close to border of MA.

We are looking to settle in an area that is NOT URBAN at all. We like busy, built up suburb community where everything you need is a short drive away (home depot, Target, grocery stores, lots of restaurants, things for the kids to do, parks, dance school, sports activities. Where we live now, nothing is more than 5 minutes away.

Of course good schools are important.

Can someone suggest any towns to look at?

Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Question Why New Hampshire? Have you considered Westford?

How long of a commute to Westford is acceptable? If strip malls are not 5 minutes away, is 15 or 20 a reasonable drive?

While nearly all of NH " is NOT URBAN at all", it may be too far to the other extreme. How do you feel about gravel roads and getting stuck behind farm equipment? Are you okay with deer, porcupines and foxes in your garden, and coyote, bobcat, and fisher as threats to small pets? Will you write letters to the editor complaining about hunters in the woods every spring and fall, and year-round gunfire at 10AM on Saturday mornings?

Massachusetts is full of busy, built-up suburban communities. If your husband is going to be working in MA and paying MA income tax, you might want to at least consider suburban towns on the MA side of the border unless there is something unique about New Hampshire that you like.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
In all fairness, all of NH, is not that way. Nashua is a small city that feels more like a collection of small towns. apart from schools it will have everything else you're looking for. Schools at the elementary levels in most desired areas are fine (South Nashua has two, north Nashua has one, central Nashua has at least two nice elementary schools, maybe a third decent one). However, many have differing views at the middle and high school level. Keep in mind outside of Nashua is not most people's idea of suburban. It's not rural country, but lots are spread out and neighborhoods aren't walkable; people tend to want their own little private space. Honestly, NH is not a state that favors "built-up suburban development;" and there is much outcry whenever new homes are built on any swath of woodland.

MA has more developed suburbs, but aren't a continuous sprawl, either, there are pockets of small cities and surrounding towns that would have what you're looking for. And there are also small towns that have limited development. I would suggest the MA forum and looking directly at Westford itself, or Chelmsford, depending on your budget. They would have the schools and shopping close by if not in town.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Welcome to CityData

Going by your name, can I assume that you're coming to MA/NH from Long Island? It's going to be difficult to find what you are accustomed to in NH, even in our small cities like Nashua, which geographically makes the most sense, being right off the highway and 'easy' access to Westford. Salem would also have all of the restaurants, Target, groceries, etc. but access to Westford would be not be as direct as Nashua.

Nashua just makes the most sense for you, with plenty of shopping: stripmalls, chain stores, restaurants, etc. in the Spitbrook/Exit 1 area of Nashua, and the elementary school in this area is highly rated.

Other than Nashua, the closest towns to the MA/NH border with access to Westford area are Pelham, Hudson, Hollis. None of these would have the type of amenities that you asked about though. These are suburban towns. There will be a grocery store and some shopping (a walmart in Hudson and some stripmalls along 3A), but (except for Salem) would have to drive to get to other stores and many restaurants.

Now, with that said, I think that you may actually be better off considering Westford, or Chelmsford. Depending on your budget and housing expectations, perhaps Burlington. Consider that MA income taxes will be paid to Massachusetts no matter which state you decide on, combined with the (generally) higher tax rate in NH (particularly in the smaller towns that don't have the commercial base to offset expenses), and it's a double whammy. It's an easy drive if you'd like to do some tax-free shopping in Nashua or Salem, but on a daily basis, I think you'd be better off living closer to work. There are ooodles of commuters heading down Route 3 every morning (and back up every afternoon) to consider-the goodle drive estimate 30 or so minutes will greatly increase during commuter hours, particularly if there is any rain, ice or snow.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Welcome to CityData

Other than Nashua, the closest towns to the MA/NH border with access to Westford area are Pelham, Hudson, Hollis. None of these would have the type of amenities that you asked about though. These are suburban towns.
Even "suburban" may be misleading for people who live in places with more modern or dense suburbs. Yes, they're suburban in the sense of abutting the, ahem, "big city."

But "semi-rural" may be even more apt for someone coming from an area that's more dense. Hollis NH is not Hackensack. It's under 8,000 people spread out over 30 square miles, 1/3 the density of Westchester.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 70,975 times
Be prepared for culture shock, both good or bad.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Wink Rural southern New Hampshire isn't that different from rural northern New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Even "suburban" may be misleading for people who live in places with more modern or dense suburbs. Yes, they're suburban in the sense of abutting the, ahem, "big city." But "semi-rural" may be even more apt for someone coming from an area that's more dense. Hollis NH is not Hackensack. It's under 8,000 people spread out over 30 square miles, 1/3 the density of Westchester.
I'd say Hollis and Bedford, NH are both fair examples of "Exurbs". If they had more Herefords and fewer Lexuses, they'd be fully rural.

Quote:
It's not rural country, but lots are spread out and neighborhoods aren't walkable; people tend to want their own little private space. Honestly, NH is not a state that favors "built-up suburban development;" and there is much outcry whenever new homes are built on any swath of woodland.
And that's why I live on the cold side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilnca View Post
Be prepared for culture shock, both good or bad.
I tried to lay the groundwork for culture shock in my post.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I suggest living as close to the job as feasible to minimize time wasted commuting. Then enjoy living in MA and vacationing in NH.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM

176 posts, read 298,857 times
Nashua is the closest we have to what you're looking for, but you may want to look in eastern Mass as well, there are some nice communities there that would give you a short commute, nice schools, and wouldn't mean you get hit with MA income tax and NH property taxes. Waltham is nice, or more rural on the other side are Ayer and Groton. Nh would have Nashua, some parts of Bedford, and outer parts of Manchester. Problem is that you run into commute issues going along major highways, where most of the buildup is.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:29 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times
Haven't read the other comments so sorry if I am echoing what they said

I would suggest Hudson, Windham, Litchfield, Londonderry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire