Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 07:55 PM

121 posts, read 563,076 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions about Hanover? Schools, people, atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 128,598 times
Default Hanover is nice

I visited Hanover this summer. A very nice small town. Excellent schools, and a better cultural environment than you would expect in a town of only 11,000 people due to Dartmouth College. The only downside is that housing is expensive there. Much more expensive than the nearby towns of Lebanon or Lyme.

One site with info is:

http://www.hanoverchamber.org/

Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 AM

Thanks for your reply.

With three kids education is important to us. Lyme actually has a better elementary school than Hanover just looking at the stats. I wonder about sending our kids to such a small school though. If one teacher leaves you are toast. Hanover seems to have a better balance of size and achievement at the middle and high school, but that is a few years out for us.

Wondering if anyone has lived in the area and finds it easy to meet and get to know other young families.

Cheers.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Thanks for your reply.

With three kids education is important to us. Lyme actually has a better elementary school than Hanover just looking at the stats. I wonder about sending our kids to such a small school though. If one teacher leaves you are toast. Hanover seems to have a better balance of size and achievement at the middle and high school, but that is a few years out for us.

Wondering if anyone has lived in the area and finds it easy to meet and get to know other young families.

Cheers.
I have a friend who told me when I was looking for a house to stay out of the lyme area. he informed me its nice on the outside but once your in it does a 180. I must say it seems like a nice town to me but he did live there where as I did not. every now and then when I visit him there are other ppl from there saying they want to move from that town. don't know the full story could just be them but just thought I'd let you know.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info, nhyrnut.

What exactly is it that your friend doesn't like? Are the people not friendly?

Have you heard similar things about Hanover? I would suspect that with Dartmouth that there is a larger turnover of people in Hanover so it is more open to newcomers.

The question I have is, does Hanover have a sense of community?

Cheers.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Him and his friends in Lyme mainly complain about the ppl there. just their attatudes and work ethic in genral. Well that and they know all about you lol, but that comes from small town life so any small town will have that issue. As far as hanover the few times I have been there it seemed to have a good sence of community. Yes being a colledge town gives it a high turnover but that is just students the true locals are very nice and seem to have a good aura about them. not hippie type that usually found in colledge town but not overly conservative as well. it is a nice town and once they know you are not a seasonal person you will find rents cheaper as long as they know you will be there year round.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:24 AM

nhyrnut, well that's good to hear about Hanover.

We are thinking about moving there if I can get into Vermont Law School. Everything I have read and seen about Hanover has been positive. Trying to figure out if there is some downside that I haven't considered, except the high housing costs of course, but it is looking more and more like you get what you pay for: good to great schools, clean & safe community, some culture & convenience, and a sense of place.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 128,598 times
Default Norwich

Norwich, Vermont might be a good choice for you as well. It shares the same middle and high school as Hanover, and the elementary school there is very good. The housing prices are less than Hanover, and the people really nice. Great local microbrewery as well. The downside being that you then have to pay VT income tax. It really depends on income. Above a certain threshold it would make sence to live in Hanover.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:53 PM

Was2Be,

Thanks for your message. Yes, that's the issue: Income Tax. We actually break even living in Hanover because while our property taxes will be higher than they are where we live now, the lack of an income tax makes us break even.

Norwich has the better elementary school versus Hanover I think, but the state income tax make it more expensive to live there overall. I've looked at the real estate and it doesn't appear much cheaper in Norwich than in Hanover, but I'll look again.

Does anyone know anything about the people, atmosphere, and sense of community in Norwich? I'll try the Vermont message board too.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire