Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 AM

48 posts, read 79,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You'd really want to look at the specific routes/destinations you'd want. I believe this is the current list of direct destinations out of Manch: https://www.flymanchester.com/airlines
It's definitely nice to fly out of Manchester if possible, although for the flights we've wanted to take, I haven't noticed fares being any cheaper than Logan (often they were more expensive, although this can be partially offset by cheaper parking or cab fare).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 AM

196 posts, read 275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMcBuggin View Post
@GregW - Glad to hear that the superfund site is of no major concern. I know there are ~1300 around the US so it's not like they are a rare thing, but we wanted to get a bit more information to understand if there are any additional risks. The commute bus stations are a nice perk so this will definitely go into our considerations. Thank you!

@blessedme - Appreciate your insight, but we aren't overly concerned about the property taxes. We realize they are high, but it won't be any worse than where we are coming from. California has a lower property tax percentage, but when an ~1100 square foot home with a sidewalk square for land goes for $920,000 (not an exaggeration, a house around the corner from us really sold for this) you realize that the property taxes are going to be high. Take into account that the local sales tax is 8.75% and the high state income tax, and overall we will be better off in NH than we are currently here (plus the houses/land are much nicer in NH)! Also, having kids there is a good chance we take advantage of what the high schools offer so it's nice to hear about what the town has to offer. Thanks.
All righty then....

Just remember, in NH there is no law that precludes town to raise taxes as much as they want. In addition, they also can re-access your home, which will raise your taxes.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 7,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You'd really want to look at the specific routes/destinations you'd want. I believe this is the current list of direct destinations out of Manch: https://www.flymanchester.com/airlines
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikachu View Post
It's definitely nice to fly out of Manchester if possible, although for the flights we've wanted to take, I haven't noticed fares being any cheaper than Logan (often they were more expensive, although this can be partially offset by cheaper parking or cab fare).
Thanks for the details. This sounds about what I expected and will likely depend on the destination. Doesn't look like a whole lot of direct flights in/out of Manchester but it seems direct flights are getting harder and harder to come by for a reasonable price anyway. Having two options relatively close is nice though.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
All righty then....

Just remember, in NH there is no law that precludes town to raise taxes as much as they want. In addition, they also can re-access your home, which will raise your taxes.
Good to know and please don't take my previous response as ungrateful. We will definitely take this information into consideration. How often do homes get reassessed in Windham? I didn't think home reassessment was all that uncommon but the frequency likely varies wildly...

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM

196 posts, read 275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMcBuggin View Post
Good to know and please don't take my previous response as ungrateful. We will definitely take this information into consideration. How often do homes get reassessed in Windham? I didn't think home reassessment was all that uncommon but the frequency likely varies wildly...

Thanks!
Oh I wasn't upset or anything, it's just if you are not worried about taxes, then it's all moot.

Theoretically, the assessment is done every 5 years, but we've lived here 4 and I think we are on our 3rd assessment. The first time we asked for it, the second time the assessor just assumed that we fixed a few things in the house even though we didn't. Now there is a town wide assessment that is done by an outside company. But since our assessor quit last Dec and I don't think we have a new one yet.....who knows what will be happening....

Also, our HS made national news when it banned dodgeball bc it was "content sport" or something, but then it wants to build a 2M foodball field. So, I don't consider them too bright there....

However!! I think our town govt is pretty good and conservative as far as spending goes

Old 07-16-2015, 11:20 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Weather in SE NH won't be any worse than Upstate NY or Boston so you should be good there.

Manchester Airport is excellent and I only use Logan if I absolutely have to to get a flight I want or need. I guess it depends on where you plan to fly to the most.

Cali home prices and taxes are crazy so I think anything in NH is going to look good as long as you are bringing that Cali-income level job with you.

Good luck in your move! I have a lot of friends in SE NH and most seem to really love it there.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Weather in SE NH won't be any worse than Upstate NY or Boston so you should be good there.

Manchester Airport is excellent and I only use Logan if I absolutely have to to get a flight I want or need. I guess it depends on where you plan to fly to the most.

Cali home prices and taxes are crazy so I think anything in NH is going to look good as long as you are bringing that Cali-income level job with you.

Good luck in your move! I have a lot of friends in SE NH and most seem to really love it there.

Thanks! I am glad it seems most that have moved there love it. We believe we will too based on our research but it's nice to get additional information from people in the know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
Also, our HS made national news when it banned dodgeball bc it was "content sport" or something, but then it wants to build a 2M foodball field. So, I don't consider them too bright there....

However!! I think our town govt is pretty good and conservative as far as spending goes
I like the sound of the town government even if the banning of dodgeball but wanting a 2 Million dollar football field is a bit hypocritical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire