Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Why would anybody want to live somewhere where they can say they honestly hate 10 things about anyway? Try living down here a while and you'll take just about anything up there with grattitude.
Welp guess I'm qualified to say already did, and I seem to be more fond of down there.. Lived in Naples for 24 years. Moved away cause I thought god this is all there is? I wanted snow , and cold, and mountains and no beach.. I certainly got it alll. And found out didn't like it as much as I though so I'm relocatin back to Fla.

Also with the summer heat mentioned above I def thing that the seacoast of NH has a beautiful summer! However I've found that out there in the landlocked area (never lived in a landlocked place so I wasn't aware of this ) But evidently we don't get an ocean breeze so we get haze, and like a dead thick stale heat that is comparable I would say to the south heat, if not worse because there's no breeze or afternoon thunderstorm to break it up!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Gotta smile reading all the 10s. Now I don't feel so bad leaving NH, having all those reminders of what it's like.

'Course, if someone started a list of top 10 things they love about NH, then I might be a bit remorseful again.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Gotta smile reading all the 10s. Now I don't feel so bad leaving NH, having all those reminders of what it's like.

'Course, if someone started a list of top 10 things they love about NH, then I might be a bit remorseful again.
hey for every bad that can be a good.. Right now my list of things I'm disliking is growing larger but I still have a VERY large list of things I still like, and those things I think will keep me coming back to visit for years to come. But I dont feel bad about leaving NH.. its just not made for some and others its what they've always been looking for and found

Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
1. That I'm not there.
2. That my next house is there and I don't know it yet.
3. That it's getting snow and I'm getting rain.
4. That I'm not there.
5. That they have skiing and I don't.
6. That I'm not there.
7. That it's not Massachusetts.
8. That I'm not there.
9. That they have mountains and I don't.
10 That I'm not there......yet.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
1. That I'm not there.
2. That my next house is there and I don't know it yet.
3. That it's getting snow and I'm getting rain.
4. That I'm not there.
5. That they have skiing and I don't.
6. That I'm not there.
8. That I'm not there.
9. That they have mountains and I don't.
10 That I'm not there......yet.
Hey! that's cheating. No fair repeating yourself.

(I AM glad it's not Massachusetts -- yet)

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
But I dont feel bad about leaving NH.. its just not made for some and others its what they've always been looking for and found
Tara - What you did took guts - moving from Florida to NH. You tried it, you found out it wasn't for you - there's nothing wrong with that. The main thing is you tried it - you probably will never experience the - "Gee, what would have happened if I had gone to NH (or whatever state).....would things have been better syndrome" - It didn't work out for you, but you were brave enough to have your "dream" and follow through with it and that says a lot! IMO it's much better to try something and if it doesn't work out, admit it wasn't all that you thought it was and "start over." It's a heck of a lot better than staying somewhere you are unhappy, life's too short for that.

It was also a learning experience for you - should you feel the "itch" to relocate again, you know you like snow in small amounts and you don't want bitterly cold weather, you like being in a more "citified" area as opposed to small towns and, should you decide to move from Florida again, it gives you "benchmarks" on what to look for....and what to look for in a landlord in a new area!

Even though the move to NH didn't work out as you hoped it would, you still should be proud of yourself and your hubby for "taking the chance" - a lot of people never do and then look back and wonder.......

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Clarification: I meant that in a good way. I "hate" NH because it's better than my state of Massachusetts.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Hate is a strong word. There are a lot of things I miss that NH does not have here-however I moved here knowing NH is different than NJ-in both good ways and bad ways. I would never try nor expect those things to change. I don't like people who do that.

Here are things that I really dislike about NH:

1. People up here think that if they are turning left that they have the right of way. Sorry YOU DO NOT. This happens so much. If I am going straight or right- I have the right of way. I will mention this happens less here in Laconia than it did in Concord.

2. Out current govenor, legislature and house reps. Maybe now hate is appropriate. I do not like the fact that people voted for their local state rep because of Iraq. That does not make sense. It is one thing to vote in a federal election that way-but your local house rep? He/She has a lot to do with Iraq Oh that gets my goat. Look at all the nanny programs that have been introduce and/or passed since this happened. We did not get to vote on civil unions it was signed in secret. The Dems did not run on that-gee I wonder why. I am not saying I am for or against but something so contriversial-the dems and Govenor idiot should have run on that. That is unethical and slimy. Our taxes have gone up-whether people believe it or not. Gov Photo-op signs in a budget with an increase of 17.5% last year and now he has the nerve to get on tv yesterday and say we are in a budget crisis and now we are supposed to praise this idiot for being "tough". Now he is putting a freeze on spending-oh how big of him! I hope people are intelligent to see this for what it is-gosh this gets me so mad! Oh i forgot-he flew around in a helicopter after the floods so he is a wondeful govenor.

3. Carol Shea-Porter- I dislike her so much she gets her own line.

4. People who move here for a bigger house, etc. who bring their tax and spend ideas and their nanny state mentality with them.

5. People who move to a town with no Walmart and other stores and other things and then "expect" all these things to be built there to accomodate them.

6. The only other thing I do not like is the rudeness and people who give you looks for no reason. I know some people here disagree with me. If I hold the door for someone I am not saying I need a thank you but don't look at me like I have three heads for doing something nice. Also , it would be nice if you hold the door for me. I must mention that the people are 300% better here in Laconia than in Concord so maybe that was a Concord thing-who knows.

Nicole

Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM

259 posts, read 1,323,743 times
[SIZE=2]The biggy: Incorrect pronunciation of old English place names!!!!! Look, it's Berwick as in BEAR - ICK not BURR - WHICK!! (technically, the Maine guys got that wrong I suppose). DURR - AM not DUH - HAM. Same for Windham.

Clearly, we have to mock pretty much the entirety of New England for these verbal abominations. The worst part of it is that New Englanders actually believe their pronunciation is correct! My theory is that the frugality of New Englanders crept into their pronunciations......therefore, you only get to use 3 syllables to pronounce 4 syllable words. However, why the "a" became "er" and the "er" became "a" still defies any attempt at explanation.

. People up here think that if they are turning left that they have the right of way. Sorry YOU DO NOT. This happens so much. If I am going straight or right- I have the right of way. I will mention this happens less here in Laconia than it did in Concord.
So true..........and other variations of the bad driving theme are.......... Then, in smaller towns, you get the folks that come to a dead stop while moving straight through an intersection in order to be neighborly and allow the left turner to proceed in front of them. Seriously lethal bad driving habit as well. Then, those who like to hit the gas pedal hard to beat you off the line only to slow down below the speed limit once they get in front of you when the lanes narrow down.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Why would anybody want to live somewhere where they can say they honestly hate 10 things about anyway?

I suspect we can blame this on the arcane notion of needing a paycheck. I admit to clearly being bribed to live in less than perfect locales during my lifetime.

My own NH/NE pet peeve.............the absence of the season known elsewhere as "spring"........you know, sunshine and temps in the high 50's/low 60's for about a 45 day run?[/SIZE]

Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
spring? isn't that something in my mattress? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire