U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times

Advertisements

What are the 10 things you most hate about living in New Hampshire? The weather? The rain? The cost of living? What is it you hate most about NH?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 259,132 times
Oh boy, I'll go first... but I feel bad about doing it.. these are in no particular order

1) SNOW! Liked it at first but now its old, its dirty, its slippery, you can't drive when it snows, you get wet and cold and its heavy to shovel!
2) Unless you like winter sports there is NOTHING to do at all in the winter its either too cold or snowing too hard to go anywhere .
3) Taxes per child for sending your kids to a school they're not districted for. Thats just ludicris and shameful
4) Cost of living is high! Gas is outragous!! Electric company charges a $50 fee for just using the electric on top of your bill
5) No cellphone coverage anywhere
6) No radio stations (in keene at least) we get 3 that actually come in, the rest go in and out as you drive around town
7)Finally found out why my road is never cleared its becasue roads are plowed in shifts instead of just constantly clearing them when needed eg 5am then again at 12 pm then again at 5 pm.. (Keene again) so roads can be dangerous to drive between shifts
8) NO lights on the highways, they're extreamly dangerous to drive with very sharp turns, drop offs, only one lane to go each way with no divider in the middle, no animal guards so moose and deer can fly out in front of you, not to mention the skunks and porcipines sp?(they also have this prob with the animals in the neighborhoods we just had a pack of cyotes in a western Keene neighborhood the other day that required it to be on lockdown and bring all pets and kids in)
9) very limited shopping we have NO mall and the nearest is an hour away along with no culture what so ever
10)Housing is cheap but old. Its charming to have an old new englander but not when you have pump $40,000 in upgrades into it. And the taxes on the house are outragous along with extra taxes like view taxes if you can see a mountain or lake or pond etc.

I have more but those are my main ones for the moment that I've really had time to discover the longer I've lived here.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 01-23-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,497,250 times
I can't honestly say I "hate" anything about New Hampshire.

However, we live up north so I'm not really "fond" of the cold winters, but I am getting used to them <g>. And although this year has been cold, it's also been cold where we came from! We've had less snow so far than southern areas of the state, but if it's going to be cold, then I want snow to go with it!

I wish there was a better way to get from here to where family members are via an interstate rather than the "scenic route" - while it's pretty, it makes for a long drive.

I wish our area had more than one grocery store, but a co-op is in the works, so hopefully that will provide some alternatives to the one "big" store.

That's about it for what I dislike - I think it will depend on personalities and which part of NH people are in. For example, like Tara, I'm not a winter sport person (I'm such a klutz I'd probably break my neck if I tired to ski!), but I enjoy going to the little shops and talking to people there, and the local library. I enjoy the parades and town festivities that seem to be held on a regular basis. I'm not a mall person, so not having malls near us isn't a biggie.

Our electric is actually cheaper than where we relocated from, as are our taxes on our home. We have no problem with cell coverage - occasional "dead spots" but for the most part our phones work well, once we switched our carrier. We have a radio station right in town and get other stations from surrounding areas as well. I feel our roads are very well maintained, not like what Tara spoke of. Where Tara is sounds like where we used to live.

So, again, I think you have to take into account the likes and dislikes of individuals as well as where they are in NH. I know that I would not be as happy in the southern parts of the state, as it reminds me too much of where we used to live and had I wanted that, I would have stayed there <g>.

We have never been at a loss for entertainment - we have a movie theater, there are others close by if we want to see a movie that's not playing right in town. We have found entertainment, mostly by word of mouth - hubby is a musician among other things, and we have found places to hear live music and for him to play and have met a nice bunch of people through the "music scene."

I also think it depends on what you are used to, whether you have a lot of dislikes or not. We were used to a lot of the things that are up here - our biggest "shock" was a much smaller town, which was a pleasant shock <g>. We were used to animals like deer, skunks, coyotes - we were not used to moose or bears, although the area we relocated from had a bear wandering around town this past year - I guess we left too early!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,303,002 times
I hate it when some people let their dogs run loose. We do have a statewide leash law.

I hate it when people don't immediately repair their septics when broken.

I hate it when smoke from everybody's wood stoves burn my eyes and make it hard to breathe if I'm outdoors.

I really hate it when the neighbor burns his poison ivy.

I hate it when the dog runs into a porcupine, and the dog's on a chain.

I hate it when the mail brings only bills.

I hate it when the JW's come a'knockin' to enlighten me.

I hate it when I'm called a geezer. LOL especially when skiing.

I hate it when people complain about snow.

I hate it when people complain about the heat.

is that 10?????? I hate it when I don't have 10.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM

53 posts, read 136,441 times
Default and the list goes on....

We hate it so much we are moving away.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 259,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
I can't honestly say I "hate" anything about New Hampshire.

However, we live up north so I'm not really "fond" of the cold winters, but I am getting used to them <g>. And although this year has been cold, it's also been cold where we came from! We've had less snow so far than southern areas of the state, but if it's going to be cold, then I want snow to go with it!

I wish there was a better way to get from here to where family members are via an interstate rather than the "scenic route" - while it's pretty, it makes for a long drive.

I wish our area had more than one grocery store, but a co-op is in the works, so hopefully that will provide some alternatives to the one "big" store.

That's about it for what I dislike - I think it will depend on personalities and which part of NH people are in. For example, like Tara, I'm not a winter sport person (I'm such a klutz I'd probably break my neck if I tired to ski!), but I enjoy going to the little shops and talking to people there, and the local library. I enjoy the parades and town festivities that seem to be held on a regular basis. I'm not a mall person, so not having malls near us isn't a biggie.

Our electric is actually cheaper than where we relocated from, as are our taxes on our home. We have no problem with cell coverage - occasional "dead spots" but for the most part our phones work well, once we switched our carrier. We have a radio station right in town and get other stations from surrounding areas as well. I feel our roads are very well maintained, not like what Tara spoke of. Where Tara is sounds like where we used to live.

So, again, I think you have to take into account the likes and dislikes of individuals as well as where they are in NH. I know that I would not be as happy in the southern parts of the state, as it reminds me too much of where we used to live and had I wanted that, I would have stayed there <g>.

We have never been at a loss for entertainment - we have a movie theater, there are others close by if we want to see a movie that's not playing right in town. We have found entertainment, mostly by word of mouth - hubby is a musician among other things, and we have found places to hear live music and for him to play and have met a nice bunch of people through the "music scene."

I also think it depends on what you are used to, whether you have a lot of dislikes or not. We were used to a lot of the things that are up here - our biggest "shock" was a much smaller town, which was a pleasant shock <g>. We were used to animals like deer, skunks, coyotes - we were not used to moose or bears, although the area we relocated from had a bear wandering around town this past year - I guess we left too early!
Thats why I put (Keene) next to things specific to where I am cause I realize what is going on where I am might not be somewhere else.. Depends on where in NH you are

Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,683,781 times
1. Road markings (center line mostly) that don't reflect your headlights at night, in fog or rain/snow. Come on NH DOT, reflective road paint and cats eyes have been around for decades.

2. Too many Wal-marts.

3. No Trader Joes.

4. Bad Dunkins (the ones that serve 2-day old donuts).

5. Slavish devotion to the Red Sox and Patriots. Common NH, it's not like they've won anything recently! ;-)

6. Car registration is a bit steep.

7. Not enough decent Chinese or Indian food (and take out is expensive too). I am a curryholic.

8. Too many Pizza places. Heck, if you like pizza, forget NYC - come to NH! But if you want delivery pizza - forgeddabahtitt!

9. Oil prices.

10. The biggy: Incorrect pronunciation of old English place names!!!!! Look, it's Berwick as in BEAR - ICK not BURR - WHICK!! (technically, the Maine guys got that wrong I suppose). DURR - AM not DUH - HAM. Same for Windham.

11. On a roll now. People in stores and on the phone STILL not able to understand my English accent or pronounce my name. I thought it was just California with all the native Spanish speakers, but oh no! It's like they can't hear anything but a Yankee twang (I speak with an Americanized neutral Brit accent - not full-on Cockney or Yorkshire). I still have to ask the wife to order take-out, still have to phonetically sound my name (that's M for Mike , C for Charlie, E, W A for Apple N for November). And people, MC at the front of a name is the same as MAC as in Mack truck. It's Scottish for heaven's sake, not Indonesian (MAH-CEE-WAN????).

As you can see. I totally hate the place.

(PS: stop the hate! Really - I'm kidding on the Pats & Sox. Well, the Pats for sure.)

Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Thats why I put (Keene) next to things specific to where I am cause I realize what is going on where I am might not be somewhere else.. Depends on where in NH you are
I know Tara - I'm still amazed at the differences in various areas! Heck, even going from one town to another up here, there's quite a difference. I guess that's what makes New Hampshire....well, New Hampshire! It seems each community has its own "personality" so to speak.....

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I hate it when the dog runs into a porcupine, and the dog's on a chain.

I hate it when people complain about the heat.
We haven't experienced any porcupines, yet, but our dog did get "perfumed" by a skunk (that also happened in NY - obviously she didn't learn her lesson the first time!)

Heat? What heat?? One of the things I love about being up here is the summer - it doesn't get really hot, very little humidity and we always seem to have a breeze!

Again, guess it depends on what part of the state you're in! <g>

Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,705,090 times
Why would anybody want to live somewhere where they can say they honestly hate 10 things about anyway? Try living down here a while and you'll take just about anything up there with grattitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire