Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The other morning on my way to work I saw a cop sitting in the center of town. I quickly looked down at my speed and I was doing the speed limit so I had nothing to worry about. As I passed him I see him pull out behind me and throw his lights on, I had no idea why I was being pulled over. He said it looked like I was talking on my phone based on me resting my head on my hand. I assured him I was not on my phone, as it was 5:30am and I don't have anyone to talk to at that time and I even asked if he wanted to check my phone just to verify. He declined and stated he believed me. He was super nice and I give him credit for looking out but to assume I was on my phone?

I was hoping many towns would slack off on the cell phone usage offense as to prove that it wasn't an issue to begin with but I guess its the complete opposite. I dont worry much about it though because I don't use it while driving but goes to show you its just another money maker, I mean its not like I was swerving or anything. I see people all day long not using their blinkers while turning or merging, to me that's more of an offense than using a cell phone, I cant recall ever seeing someone get pulled over for it though. I guess its pick and choose as to what offense they want to pull you over for. I know for a fact with all the driving I do that I could generate more revenue by ticketing drivers that don't use their blinker vs cell phone usage.

Your example is why it is a stupid law. The cop that stopped you may have been nice but it will lead to more abuse of power by police, mire infringement on the right to travel and more excuses for fishing expeditions..sadly the supporters of the law are too blind to see that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:01 PM

238 posts, read 315,114 times
This video asks the question, "How far would you drive with your eyes closed on the highway?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-VW-gjqDy4

People who text on the highway travel on average the length of a football field without looking at the road at all. Crazy!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
This video asks the question, "How far would you drive with your eyes closed on the highway?"

People who text on the highway travel on average the length of a football field without looking at the road at all. Crazy!

That is crazy! My SO is very guilty of this and I'm always telling him to STOP NOW!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:19 PM

14 posts, read 29,767 times
Default Biker with cell phone

Yesterday I saw a guy on a Harley-Davidson talking on a cell phone, going about 50. Wonder how he heard anything.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post

No one is debating whether texting while driving is stupid.. it is, so is banning cell phone use as a means to stop people from texting.. those that text will continue law or no law.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
No one is debating whether texting while driving is stupid.. it is, so is banning cell phone use as a means to stop people from texting.. those that text will continue law or no law.
Yeah, but, no reason for either one so we can all deal with it like adults and not complain. It is just a cell phone. Clearly Mr. Crazy you remember a time when you survived with no cell phone so I'm sure you will be fine. If you have an emergency simply pull over and proceed to use said phone....EZ as pie

Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Yeah, but, no reason for either one so we can all deal with it like adults and not complain. It is just a cell phone. Clearly Mr. Crazy you remember a time when you survived with no cell phone so I'm sure you will be fine. If you have an emergency simply pull over and proceed to use said phone....EZ as pie
We can deal with it like adults and allow us to choose. Texting I agree should be banned but not talking on a cell phone. I remember a time when there wasn't any cell phones and then they invented hard wired car phones so you could talk on the go. Would have suggested a ban on those as well? Again, talking on a cell phone is no different than holding your morning coffee and talking to your passengers or singing along to a song on the radio.

Your suggestion is to pull over if you need to use it. I find this to be far more dangerous, I see people everyday darting off the side of the road to use the phone. Some of them look like there is an emergency when all they need to use is the phone. Others don't even pull off the road all the way. I find people pulling off the side of the road for no reason to be far more distracting than cell phone usage.

I for one barely use my phone when im not in the car so not using it while driving isn't really a big deal to me. Its the fact that they took this freedom away...whats next? As for my scenario of "looking" like I was on my phone I purposely place my hand in the same position while driving through that town ever since I got pulled over to see if it happens again. Meanwhile my phone is off and not in reach.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 AM

238 posts, read 315,114 times
Another video of distracted driving. Not just texting but all teenagers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2xDvaOOeM

Apologies if you've seen this before. It made the rounds earlier this year.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by stormynh
Yeah, but, no reason for either one so we can all deal with it like adults and not complain. It is just a cell phone. Clearly Mr. Crazy you remember a time when you survived with no cell phone so I'm sure you will be fine. If you have an emergency simply pull over and proceed to use said phone....EZ as pie.

A rather lousy argument..we can do without the internet too.. you want to forced to give up your access to the net or be restricted on when you can use it because some folks commit crimes with it?

Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Originally Posted by stormynh
Yeah, but, no reason for either one so we can all deal with it like adults and not complain. It is just a cell phone. Clearly Mr. Crazy you remember a time when you survived with no cell phone so I'm sure you will be fine. If you have an emergency simply pull over and proceed to use said phone....EZ as pie.

A rather lousy argument..we can do without the internet too.. you want to forced to give up your access to the net or be restricted on when you can use it because some folks commit crimes with it?

Despite your best efforts I'm simply not that upset by the law, but, by all means continue to let it wreck your days and months ahead!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire