Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:19 PM

282 posts, read 236,231 times

Advertisements

Checking out some of the things I want where I move to, I keep coming to New Hampshire and loving the sound of it.
And then I look up some things and found two issues that bother me.
Seat belt laws. The only state that doesn't enforce adults to wear seat belts. Is it common to drive without seat belts anyway?
I hear Libertarians are a big part of the state. Is the state generally so strong right wing leaning or just a louder minority?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Checking out some of the things I want where I move to, I keep coming to New Hampshire and loving the sound of it.
And then I look up some things and found two issues that bother me.
Seat belt laws. The only state that doesn't enforce adults to wear seat belts. Is it common to drive without seat belts anyway?
I hear Libertarians are a big part of the state. Is the state generally so strong right wing leaning or just a louder minority?
A little quiz for you- What is more fascist and 'right wing leaning"?? Being forced with threat of harassment or fine to do something such as wear a seat belt or a helmet or be given a choice as a responsible adult to make a conscious decision to do something that may or may not be in your best interest?

Answer? When you think for yourself the answers may become clearer

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 07-25-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
What's stopping you from wearing your seatbelt? You still have a choice.

If you don't like Libertarians, you will not like NH.

Live Free or Die.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 PM

LexWest: I guess that answers that. Thank you.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:53 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
If it makes you any happier.. we ban cell phones. But as to your question and comments..what is so right wing or libertarian about freedom to make a personal safety choice? Vt and NH are about the same in size VT has both a helmet and seat belt law, and a higher insurance rate to go along with them. NH works best with minimum nannyism from big brother, and that works best for left and right wing alike.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:22 PM

The thing is if I wanted to have Libertarian ideas, I'd go to Texas where they actually call them Republicans.

You seem hung up about the seat belt thing. It was a curiosity, not related to Libertarians. But I did notice that New Hampshire has the second highest rate of unrestrained fatalities in car accidents (second to Montana, just barely). It was something that caught my eye with NH being an enigma where the 49 other states have laws in place.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Sounds like this is not the place for you. Good luck in your search

Old 07-25-2015, 10:56 PM

Thanks. Definitely bugs me a lot too. New Hampshire sounds perfect for what I want, except for the extreme political views. I was hoping to hear about how wide spread these ideals were. Coming on here probably isn't the best way to gauge that, but maybe it'll work out in the end.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:38 AM

191 posts, read 213,503 times
What extreme political views do you mean?

I have always seen New Hampshire and New Hampshireites (sp?) as being just about the most non-judgmental, "live and let live" people I have run across. As long as you don't cause them pain, they will return the favor.

Personally, I think seat belt and helmet laws are less a "civil rights" type of issue and more of a "pocketbook" type of thing; when you end up in the hospital because you weren't buckled up, AND you can't pay, the rest of us pay for you.

That means, to me at least, that I (society) should have some say in when you wear your belt or helmet.

If I could figure out how to keep the costs out of the public treasury, I'd have no trouble with people not wearing their belt; it's their life if they want to waste it. That makes me disagree with New Hampshire on this issue.

Last edited by Skip OK; 07-26-2015 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Thanks. Definitely bugs me a lot too. New Hampshire sounds perfect for what I want, except for the extreme political views. I was hoping to hear about how wide spread these ideals were. Coming on here probably isn't the best way to gauge that, but maybe it'll work out in the end.

Like many states New Hampshire is split down the middle more or less.
New Hampshire has a Republican controlled House and Senate.
New Hampshire has a Democrat governor.
New Hampshire has one Democrat senator and one Republican senator.

Yes, there are segments of Libertarianism and parts of the Free State Movement.
Most are just regular folks that go to work just as other states.
New Hampshire does appear to have a higher percentage of retirees - as no income tax and no sales tax.

The New Hampshire legislature is one of the largest in the country. Neither members of the Senate or House of Representatives is paid a salary. So not so much professional politicians. Although all get paid mileage and other expenses. Just no salary.

New Hampshire has chosen to make seat belts and helmets a choice for those above age 17. But as mentioned before New Hampshire now has the most stringent driving cell phone restrictions in the country.

New Hampshire has the worst problem with heroin addiction of all of the states. So this is a serious problem mostly for the young but of course everyone. New Hampshire has chosen prison sentences over rehabilitation for those caught. This could change as the heroin problem is addressed over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire