Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
He said he shopped their once a month and mentioned groceries and Canadian Tire.
Yes he did.
And everyone states the same. Why? What a waste of time. What can you get there that you can't get at nearby Shaws?

Eventually, a neighbor was curious. Had some free time. And came along.

At the first grocery store at the first aisle he stated "Wow". Can I put this in your cart?
Then another item. Can I put this in your cart?

The 3rd item - went to get own cart.

If you have never shopped in a grocery store in any foreign country then you don't have a clue.

No, it is not every day shopping. For milk and orange juice. It's all of the other stuff.

I visit all 3 grocery stores in Magog and about an hour at Canadian Tire.

If you have never done it then you will never ever get it. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes he did.
And everyone states the same. Why? What a waste of time. What can you get there that you can't get at nearby Shaws?

At the first grocery store at the first aisle he stated "Wow". Can I put this in your cart?

If you have never shopped in a grocery store in any foreign country then you don't have a clue.

No, it is not every day shopping. For milk and orange juice. It's all of the other stuff.

Why? Isn't there a lot of tax also? I have shopped in foreign grocery stores when I'm on vacation, but, I wouldn't choose to drive two or three hours and pay taxes cross customs when I can do the same thing 15 minutes away. I have a lot better things to do, but, to each his own thing.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Why? Isn't there a lot of tax also? I have shopped in foreign grocery stores when I'm on vacation, but, I wouldn't choose to drive two or three hours and pay taxes cross customs when I can do the same thing 15 minutes away. I have a lot better things to do, but, to each his own thing.
I'm with stormy on this one, because I HAVE been in grocery stores in Canada (I have family up there so I've been through more than a couple of times) and I honestly don't get it. "All the other stuff" isn't a whole lot different than what you can find here other than having some French on the packaging, or getting slightly different versions/brands than available here (less Hersey, more Cadbury).

The most ironic thing is that my Aunt and Uncle, who live just east of Rivière-du-Loup QC, do as much grocery shopping as possible when they come visit the states.

I've always seen it as a "grass is greener" sort of thing.

Whatever, I was asking an honest question, and got "you will never get it" as an answer so obviously you don't want to discuss it. Fair enough. If you find a reason to go to Canada monthly for secret special stuff then more power to you.

I just don't want the OP to get the impression that we are so remote up here that he needs to travel to Canada for shopping. Because he doesn't, not by a long shot.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:

The most ironic thing is that my Aunt and Uncle, who live just east of Rivière-du-Loup QC, do as much grocery shopping as possible when they come visit the states.

I've always seen it as a "grass is greener" sort of thing.
The original poster asked about the area. Something to do. This is one potential item. That's it.

There is not secret agenda. No secret 'stash'. Just shopping.

And interesting, if everything is the same then why do aunt and uncle go the other way. Same exact reason I go there. Different stuff. It's that simple.

Lebanon and Hanover can be quite quiet compared to the big city. This is just something to do.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I may be offered a job at Dartmouth College. Based on my observation, however, that place is extremely remote.
I wonder what are good places to live in, and how people feel about this area.

I live near Boston now and I understand it will be a big change.

Coming from the city/suburbs - Lebanon Hanover could potentially be a culture shock.
If you don't have other friends in area then you may have to make new friends.

Other then taking a trip up Route 91 to Magog/Sherbrooke for some shopping you can.

Take night classes at the Hartford (VT) vocational high school.
I took cabinet making course - and made a real nice cabinet that I still use today.
I took small engine repair.
But there are many night school courses in a wide variety of subjects.

Join a place of worship. Get involved.
Join any civic organization. Such as the local Lions Club.

Whatever town you settle in - go to town hall and place your name on any list for volunteers.
Most towns have volunteer committees - usually a bunch of them. Get involved with the town.

There are also many clubs such as a local snowmobile club. The New Hampshire Civic Air Patrol. And on and on.

Do some volunteer work at the local hospital. Either Dartmouth Hitchcock or VA Hospital in White River Junction. When I volunteered I did 4 hours per week one day per week.

Get involved and you will have fun and meet people.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
A few points:

Boston is less than 2 hours from the Connecticut River at West Lebanon, NH. Dartmouth Coach runs frequent bus service to South Station and Logan Airport if you don't want to drive. West Lebanon has an adequate string of big box stores. The grocery stores (Shaws & Price Chopper) are marginal but the co-op by the hospital is good. It's been covered but Dartmouth-Hitchcock is an excellent medical facility. With Dartmouth College, there is always a lot going on culturally.

If you ski/snowboard, you can be parked at the Skyeship gondola at Killington with 40 minutes drive time starting from West Lebanon, NH. You're not going to find that in Boston. There are endless summer outdoor activities. Everybody has a kayak rack on their car roof. Hiking. Endless places to go swimming. Fly fishing.

It's been covered but you want snow tires. AWD is optional unless you have a steep hill/driveway to deal with.

Way off-topic but... Winter wheels with snow tires on a Subaru doesn't survive the cost analysis. I have a 2015 Outback and have run the numbers. Subaru has an annoying tire pressure monitoring system where you have to reprogram the car with the new serial numbers every time you swap wheels. By the time you factor in the cost of winter wheels, a set of 4 TPMS, and getting somebody to reprogram the car or buying the electronic tool to do it yourself, it's cheaper to have winter & summer tires mounted & balanced on the stock rims every 6 months and you always have properly balanced tires. That's at $12.50/tire for mount+balance or $100/year. Walmart is $12.00/tire nationwide. The cheapest I've found the TPMS sensors are $47 each. Steel wheels at Tire Rack are $67 plus shipping.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Agreed. Before TPMS, I always had my snows on their own steel wheels. Swap them in the driveway, easy peasy.

Once TPMS became standard, I started just having the tires swapped off the rims. If you shop around, it's pretty cheap. I've been buying tires at Town Fair Tire lately and they do the snow/summer swap for nothing if you buy the tires there.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Agreed. Before TPMS, I always had my snows on their own steel wheels. Swap them in the driveway, easy peasy.

Once TPMS became standard, I started just having the tires swapped off the rims. If you shop around, it's pretty cheap. I've been buying tires at Town Fair Tire lately and they do the snow/summer swap for nothing if you buy the tires there.
Can't you just drive without a set of TPMS' in the snow tires? I've been through 4 winters with my Explorer just looking at the light and no issues.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM

You can, I choose not to. Not to mention that some cars will ramp up ABS and Traction Control intervention when it senses a low tire.

It's just easier to swap em, and free in my case.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A few points:

Subaru has an annoying tire pressure monitoring system where you have to reprogram the car with the new serial numbers every time you swap wheels. By the time you factor in the cost of winter wheels, a set of 4 TPMS, and getting somebody to reprogram the car or buying the electronic tool to do it yourself, it's cheaper to have winter & summer tires mounted & balanced on the stock rims every 6 months and you always have properly balanced tires. That's at $12.50/tire for mount+balance or $100/year. Walmart is $12.00/tire nationwide. The cheapest I've found the TPMS sensors are $47 each. Steel wheels at Tire Rack are $67 plus shipping.
Or you can get some black electrical tape and cover up the idiot light. That works as long as your inspection is due during the spring/summer/fall. That's what I do on my car when I swap the stock wheel/tires out for snows on steel rims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire