Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,496 times

Advertisements

I didn't read the article, but I wonder if it is based on total sales for the state. A lot of people jump the border from MA to buy booze.

I definitely do my share to help our state earn that prestigious award...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - you bought a copy of Maxim and actually read something? Were you sober? Joking.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
i cant find a link but it's in the feb issue of maxim page 28 i used to live in denver the drunkest city in america and the motto was "drink till you drop" do you guys have a motto heres the link to maxim maybe one of you can find it www.maxim.com

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
BOSTON (CBS4) ― In a not-so-flattering study, Forbes.com has ranked America's Drunkest Cities. Boston and Providence have cracked the top ten.

The top city is known as "The Nation's Watering Hole", Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Forbes said it surveyed 35 cities across the country and each was ranked in five areas: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism.

They defined "drinker" as someone who's had at least one alcoholic beverage in the last month; "heavy drinker" as men who have more than two drinks a day and women who have more than one a day; and "binge drinker" as someone who has 5 or more drinks on one occasion.

Minneapolis-St. Paul was second in the poll, Columbus, Ohio was third, Boston was fourth and Austin, Texas came in fifth.

Providence tied with Philadelphia for ninth on the list.

wbztv.com - Forbes: Boston One Of America's Drunkest Cities (broken link)

of course, the Forbes study was a couple of years ago.

What it is...

Opinion and commentary, garnished with a sprig of cynicism, served with a heaping side order of sarcasm, and washed down with a tall glass of common sense, by a gun-toting political refugee from the People's Progressive Republic of Massachusetts, currently residing in New Hampshire and doing what he can to keep the Granite State beautiful and free.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I would has guessed Wisconsin was the most drunken state in the union.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
the article says that the people of NH drink 40 gallons of alcohol a year sounds like a party to me

Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM

259 posts, read 1,323,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7014 View Post
I didn't read the article, but I wonder if it is based on total sales for the state. A lot of people jump the border from MA to buy booze.
I think you're on to something with this suggestion. Consider all the weekend sales volume to Mass-ites passing by the Concord toll store and then divide it by the measly population of NH. I suspect you get a pretty hefty per capita number.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
They did a survey recently; New Englanders DO have a high rate of alcohol consumption- as do other states along the eastern megalopolis- California is very high as well, in L.A & San Francisco.

Here in CT- wine is the top drink, Vodka follows second- from martini's to mixed drinks.
Boutique breweries are very popular here also.

Yes, we like our elixirs! I like wine, and Vodka or a gin martini- up, BIG... C H E E R S
Where's the party?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7014 View Post

I definitely do my share to help our state earn that prestigious award...

Better yet, the Maine troopers could have another stakeout at the Portsmouth liquor store...

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

238 posts, read 823,681 times
Very interesting that New Englanders have a high alcohol consumption rate. Learn something new every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire