Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to move?
I would move to New Hampshire if I could (I'm white) 4 28.57%
I live in New Hampshire and I wouldn't ever live anywhere else (I'm white) 6 42.86%
I can't stand New Hampshire and I want to get out of here! (I'm white) 0 0%
I can't stand New Hampshire and I want to move to North Carolina (I'm white) 0 0%
I would move to North Carolina if I could (I'm white) 2 14.29%
other (write your answer in a post) 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yup. Seriously.

It's more that I prefer white intellectual people culture to urban city culture. Traditional Asian culture is very sexist, as are many traditional ethnic cultures. And black and Hispanic culture is very macho. I've been a tom boy all of my life and some of my best friends have been white guys, all of them perfect gentlemen. With other cultures, the men seem to either treat me as a lesser person or persist in trying to get into my pants. I also don't want to hear about their attempted exploits with other women. So yes, I would greatly prefer to be around white people where the men treat me as an equal and they believe in marriage and not producing out of wedlock children.

And before you accuse me of negative stereotyping, I am only going by my own personal experiences.
My post was directed at the OP. As for you, I guess head for the Dartmouth area. Intellectuals and mostly white.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yup. Seriously.

It's more that I prefer white intellectual people culture to urban city culture. Traditional Asian culture is very sexist, as are many traditional ethnic cultures. And black and Hispanic culture is very macho. I've been a tom boy all of my life and some of my best friends have been white guys, all of them perfect gentlemen. With other cultures, the men seem to either treat me as a lesser person or persist in trying to get into my pants. I also don't want to hear about their attempted exploits with other women. So yes, I would greatly prefer to be around white people where the men treat me as an equal and they believe in marriage and not producing out of wedlock children.

And before you accuse me of negative stereotyping, I am only going by my own personal experiences.

I am more used to white people for sure, but, the black friends etc I have are very nice. I take it on a cas by case basis. We are getting off topic here, just throwing that in.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I am more used to white people for sure, but, the black friends etc I have are very nice. I take it on a case by case basis. We are getting off topic here, just throwing that in.
I understand. I do have a decent number of good multiracial and multiracial friends, but they have embraced the non-ghetto lifestyle and speaking patterns. I really see it as a cultural issue, not a skin colour one.

But back to the original topic. Even though NC has much lower property taxes, they do collect income tax and sales tax. And as I understand it, with the most recent tax reform, those of lower income have to pay a little more income tax now. Also, NC is less friendly to seniors in regards to deducting medical expenses.

North Carolina Enacts Major Tax Reform Legislation - CBIZ

Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 AM
miu

Here is a better explanation of the recent NC tax changes.

Impact of NC income tax overhaul hits taxpayers | The Charlotte Observer

Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM

469 posts, read 576,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
So you just want to be around white people? Seriously?
Is that a problem? Perhaps this individual hasn't had good experiences with minorities. People are free to choose to live around whoever they want, just because they prefer to be around one group or another doesn't make them a bad person IMO.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM
miu

I say vive la différence!!! I think that it's awesome that all 50 states in America are unique and different in feel. What's the point of having 50 different states if everyone of them were identical in their population and lifestyle?

Think about it. Especially those of you who love diversity... if we were all completely intermingled like a bag of M&M's... eventually we'd all be the same and all brown-skinned with black hair from the dominant genes. We'd have no authentic Chinese, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican or other ethnic restaurants. Having pockets of homogeneous cultures preserves their unique identities.

And it is human nature to feel most comfortable around those who embrace the same moral values.

Anyway, for those who love living in diverse neighborhoods, Massachusetts is nearby and a better fit for you.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Is that a problem? Perhaps this individual hasn't had good experiences with minorities. People are free to choose to live around whoever they want, just because they prefer to be around one group or another doesn't make them a bad person IMO.
Don't join the military, then. Lots of diversity and people from all walks of life. I enjoyed everyone's different experiences and people got along just fine. Of course, not as much of a criminal element from any racial background in the military, so maybe not comparing apples to apples.

I was more taken aback by the OP's broad generalizations about non-white people.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Don't join the military, then. Lots of diversity and people from all walks of life. I enjoyed everyone's different experiences and people got along just fine. Of course, not as much of a criminal element from any racial background in the military, so maybe not comparing apples to apples.

I was more taken aback by the OP's broad generalizations about non-white people.
Well... the thing is, the military gives structure and strict discipline to the rank and file. And good teamwork is a must. Sort of like good parenting. But in the outside world where every can do their own "thing"... there will be frictions and clashes and no authority figures to keen everyone playing by the rules and nicely together. Even without a criminal element, people from very different backgrounds might have problems co-existing peacefully. Look at what happens between groups from different religions? They all consider themselves "good people" but what they do in the name of their god can be very harmful to those outside their religion.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,212 times
I tried NC, just like everyone else who leaves the Northeast. I absolutely hated it. The endless, stifling summers (5-6 months of ~90 and humid), the bugs the snakes OK so it's not like I've never seen lots of different bugs before moving there, or the occasional snake, but did you know that NC has more snakes per capita than any state in the US? yea, well now you do. It's so bad that there are many North Carolinian's who absolutely adore and want black snakes on their property because they eat the poisonous ones.

Aside from the heat index and slithery creepy crawlies, NC just didn't feel like home. Culture, etc - it was very foreign and I couldn't adapt. That was not something I could live with. So, I tried. Now I am in NH and absolutely LOVE it.

Good luck to you.

ETA: I am not sure what "race issues" in NC you're referring to. Maybe you're thinking of the shooting in SC?

Last edited by Northeastah; 08-13-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 12:39 PM
miu

Where in NC did you live? Their summers should be better than FL ones, in regards to the heat and humidity. Right now, she's looking at a place in Franklin, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire