Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

Next year, I plan on moving my family to NH for around two years of schooling, and intend to stay if all goes well. The school I am attending has branches in Hooksett, Nashua and Portsmouth. I need help deciding which of these cities best fits my situation.

Basic Info
- I am married w/ small children.
- I will have around $1500-$1700 per month to dedicate towards rent (purchasing will not be an option during this time).
- I am open to living in adjacent towns, but would like to be no further than 20 minutes away.

Anything I should know about these places before I decide? What should I be aware of?

Thank you for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Have you been to these towns before? They are all pretty different. I am not sure what the rental market is in Portsmouth, but it's probably more $ than Hookset or Nashua. Of the 3, I would probably guess that Nashua has the most amount of rental properties. Manchester is right next to Hoosket - so there's a lot of rental options there as well, but with kids, I am not sure how the schools are in Manchester.

I would personally choose Porstmouth, with Nashua being a 2nd choice. Good luck to you.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
There are plenty of rental properties on the outskirts of Hooksett that fit your range
near enough to Manchester without putting you in the city

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Have you been to these towns before? They are all pretty different. I am not sure what the rental market is in Portsmouth, but it's probably more $ than Hookset or Nashua. Of the 3, I would probably guess that Nashua has the most amount of rental properties. Manchester is right next to Hoosket - so there's a lot of rental options there as well, but with kids, I am not sure how the schools are in Manchester.

I would personally choose Porstmouth, with Nashua being a 2nd choice. Good luck to you.

No, I've only driven through southern NH. I've only ever actually stayed in Franconia. I'm just trying to get a 'snapshot' or general idea of each of these cities.

It's interesting that you say Portsmouth may be more expensive, because my housing stipend would actually be about 200 less if I move there ($1600 for Portsmouth area, $1800 around Manchester and Nashua). If it's actually a case where I'd be making less for housing but paying more, that would be a huge red flag for Portsmouth.

Thanks for the response!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
There are plenty of rental properties on the outskirts of Hooksett that fit your range
near enough to Manchester without putting you in the city
I'll be checking, thank you!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 AM

557 posts, read 605,932 times
I'm a little biased, but I would look at living in Concord. It's just big enough that everything you'll need is close by, but doesn't have any of the "big city" issues that Nashua and Manchester have. The downtown is very walkable with lots of cool shops and restaurants. Not sure where your school is in Hooksett (SNHU maybe?) but it is an easy ride down 93. Rent will be a lot cheaper than the Portsmouth area.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire