Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times

Advertisements

As a potential retiree to the Concord area, I am concerned about taxi service and other forms of public transportation in my later years if and when I can no longer drive. I did some research, and I know there are taxi services, but I was wondering how far taxi drivers will go outside of Concord (i.e., how much of a radius they cover).

I would also like to know what people do for public transportation when they live more than 25 miles or so from relatively large towns (Concord, Nashua, Portsmouth, and the greater Manchester area).

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Any public transportation is limited in NH. Cabs will take you anywhere, but they are expensive. If some kind of public transportation is important to you.... most of NH is not the place to retire IMO. A rural place sort of close by that has solid public transportation is Brattleboro VT. The Amherst MA area also has good public transit. Good luck

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Try https://www.uber.com/ and https://www.lyft.com/

Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post Zero Lyft, minimal Uber

Pretty such neither Uber nor Lyft covers Concord as of 8/2015. Actually, I don't think Lyft is anywhere in NH, and Uber covers just a subset of NH cities, basically surrounding Manchester and Nashua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Any public transportation is limited in NH. Cabs will take you anywhere, but they are expensive. If some kind of public transportation is important to you.... most of NH is not the place to retire IMO.
Exactly. The flipside of low taxes is little or no social safety net.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Pretty such neither Uber nor Lyft covers Concord as of 8/2015. Actually, I don't think Lyft is anywhere in NH, and Uber covers just a subset of NH cities, basically surrounding Manchester and Nashua.

If you plan on using public transportation in a rural, or semi-rural state, it can be a problematic. Cabs can cost you a fortune if you need them on a regular basis. Some areas do have basic coverage & if you don't travel too much it's ok, but even that coverage is often limited.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-27-2015 at 11:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

You may be right, but I have however successfully taken Uber from Manchester to my house in Bow, and the uber driver continued to West Concord near the hospital to drop my friend off.

It wasn't a cheap fair however.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Any public transportation is limited in NH. Cabs will take you anywhere, but they are expensive. If some kind of public transportation is important to you.... most of NH is not the place to retire IMO. A rural place sort of close by that has solid public transportation is Brattleboro VT. The Amherst MA area also has good public transit. Good luck
Thanks to you and to all who have replied so far!

As I am 62 and my husband is 59, and we are now physically active and in very good health (knock wood!), I am just looking ahead 20 or 25 years, when that might not be the case. Although most people in my husband's family usually die in their 60's, the people in my family usually live until their early 90's and are "good" until 88 or so, and then deterioration is rapid. (This has been the case in three out of four of my grandparents.) So, going with the odds, it is very possible that I might be on my own for 20 years -- but, of course, so could my husband! In any case, one or both of us would probably just need transportation one day a week to go grocery shopping, to the bank, etc. Ideally, a one-day-a-week home health aide who would also provide that driving service would be the way to go, I think.

Any thoughts, pro or con, about the above plan?

P.S. We will not have any expenses except for taxes, insurance, home maintenance, food, utilities, and incidentals (like clothing, gifts, and haircuts), so a once-a-week taxi or home health aide (or someone performing the duties of such) would not be out of the question for us.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am just looking ahead 20 or 25 years, when that might not be the case.
Cars, or cars for hire, will surely be fully autonomous within 20 years.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Cars, or cars for hire, will surely be fully autonomous within 20 years.
Will You Ever Be Able To Afford A Self-Driving Car? | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE

Well, that is the hope, anyway!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thanks to you and to all who have replied so far!

As I am 62 and my husband is 59, and we are now physically active and in very good health (knock wood!), I am just looking ahead 20 or 25 years, when that might not be the case. Although most people in my husband's family usually die in their 60's, the people in my family usually live until their early 90's and are "good" until 88 or so, and then deterioration is rapid. (This has been the case in three out of four of my grandparents.) So, going with the odds, it is very possible that I might be on my own for 20 years -- but, of course, so could my husband! In any case, one or both of us would probably just need transportation one day a week to go grocery shopping, to the bank, etc. Ideally, a one-day-a-week home health aide who would also provide that driving service would be the way to go, I think.

Any thoughts, pro or con, about the above plan?

P.S. We will not have any expenses except for taxes, insurance, home maintenance, food, utilities, and incidentals (like clothing, gifts, and haircuts), so a once-a-week taxi or home health aide (or someone performing the duties of such) would not be out of the question for us.
As long as you don't need to be out & about all the time you should be fine. Lol, who knows what will be going on in 25 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire