Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,331 times

Advertisements

Over the summer I moved from Milford to Brookline. I am 15 years old and I went to Milford High for my freshman year, and now I'm a sophomore going to Hollis-Brookline High School.

The truth is; I am really not doing well in this school as well as I did in Milford. In Milford I was a honors student and involved in extra-curricular activities involving the school. The staff in that school soon became familiar with me, and loved me. I was very involved in the school community and the town community itself. I thrived in that district.

I know that HB is one of the best schools in the state, but this school does not suit me at all. The education is quite different than at Milford (mind you I've been going to Milford for 5 years). My classes now are all screwed up because they don't match up with my class schedule I had at Milford. My U.S History class is too easy, my guidance counselor refuses to put me in a higher level class because they're not offering honors classes to sophomores this year. We're required to take a basic writing class at HB in order to graduate but I've already took an English class at Milford that taught us the basics of writing. My French III class uses a different book than at the one at Milford as well making it harder for me because I'm not on the same level as the rest of my class (and I don't want to drop down to French II).

Also HB doesn't offer the same classes I took at Milford, like voice workshop and creative writing. It also doesnt have a marching band (I was in marching band at Milford). On top of that I've been diagnosed with depression back in December of 2013. I didn't take any medication because my parents didn't allow me to. It has been coming back to me over this summer and has gotten worse since I've been going to this school.

My parents absolutely can not afford to pay tuition which is $14k per student at Milford. I've thinking about writing to the superintendent or getting some legal aid to hear my case. Does anyone have any solutions?

TL;DR I'm having a hard time at Hollis-Brookline High School and I want to transfer back to Milford. Can I do this legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,371,273 times
Sorry to hear about your problems adapting to your new environment, but I doubt there's anything you can do about it except take it as a life lesson to make you stronger and more resilient. I don't think the taxpayers of Milford want to pay for you to attend their school without your family paying their local property taxes to Milford. Nobody rides for free.

I served 20 years in the military, and my son was in 3 different schools in 4 years. He was a lot younger and it was easier for him to adapt, but I did not want to keep doing that as he got older (middle school). That's why I'm back home in NH now. But I've seen kids also thrive and be stronger for moving every few years. It prepares you for the real world and helps you adapt to changing situations, skills which will be valuable to you as an adult. Someday you're going to move on from high school and everything will be different. This change of high school will help you prepare for life's eventualities. Embrace it and do the best you can...

Old 09-06-2015, 03:13 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,878,004 times
Man up or Woman up.
Make the best of every day.
Join as many clubs and after school activities that you can.
You will make friends much quicker that way.
If they offer shop classes (may be called Tech Ed now) take them.
Wood shop, metal shop, automotive shop, etc. Take them all. Those skills will be with you the rest of your life.
Speak with any local police officer and ask if the town has Junior Police or Police Cadets (for youth) and join up.
Do some volunteer activities at the local hospital or library.
Find out and join any Civil Air Patrol if available in your area.
Get involved. You will be surprised at how quickly you will be accepted and enjoyed.

Last edited by unit731; 09-06-2015 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling (again)

Old 09-06-2015, 04:24 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,382,168 times
OP = "I've already took an English class"

Perhaps you could use more time in English class

The above posters provided good advice. IMO your parents are correct in not desiring medication for your depression - have you ever read about the potential side effects? It's tough to adapt to a new environment, but there are some actions you can take to make it easier - in the subjects that you feel you have mastered, offer to tutor a classmate who is struggling; in the subjects in which you are struggling, seek help from the teacher or get a tutor.

Once you address the important issue - education, then address the rest. Is there any kind of band at your school? Sign up! If there is no band - then lobby the school to start one - even a small band can be fun and will keep you busy and the process of creating something will beat your depression back.

OP = "I've thinking about writing to the superintendent or getting some legal aid to hear my case."

Again, English class (or maybe just proofread). Legal aid? For what? You don't seem to be a disabled student in need of an IEP. Work through your issues yourself and you'll feel much better for having grown through them.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
OP = "I've already took an English class"

Perhaps you could use more time in English class

The above posters provided good advice. IMO your parents are correct in not desiring medication for your depression - have you ever read about the potential side effects? It's tough to adapt to a new environment, but there are some actions you can take to make it easier - in the subjects that you feel you have mastered, offer to tutor a classmate who is struggling; in the subjects in which you are struggling, seek help from the teacher or get a tutor.

Once you address the important issue - education, then address the rest. Is there any kind of band at your school? Sign up! If there is no band - then lobby the school to start one - even a small band can be fun and will keep you busy and the process of creating something will beat your depression back.

OP = "I've thinking about writing to the superintendent or getting some legal aid to hear my case."

Again, English class (or maybe just proofread). Legal aid? For what? You don't seem to be a disabled student in need of an IEP. Work through your issues yourself and you'll feel much better for having grown through them.

Good luck.
Yeah I guess you're right, and so were the posters above too. I'm just really upset that I had to leave a school that I loved so much. Switching schools has been very emotional for me but it's a process that I'll just have to deal with. By the way, those were just typos.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 AM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,025,663 times
Why did your family have to move? The only way to get back into the Milford HS is for your parents to move your family back to Milford. No Milford residency = no Milford HS for you.

Try harder to make your new high school work out for you. Otherwise, how will you ever handle college or a workplace? Life is all about dealing with compromises gracefully.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,172,106 times
I just looked at your school calendar - it seems you've only been in school for two days so far. Let me know if I'm wrong. Two days is way too soon to throw in the towel - you need to give it a lot more time. Talk to your French teacher right away and let them know about the difference in books and your feeling you aren't sufficiently prepared from your Milford classes and see if they can suggest ways to help.

As far as being well-known in the community at Milford, that certainly didn't happen your first week of school. It will take time to do the same at Hollis - if you get involved, you can have a similar, and maybe even better experience at your new school. You may make the best friends of your life so far.

If they don't have a creating writing course, see if there is another writing course, perhaps journalism or poetry (I have no clue if they offer things like that in high school, it's been a while ), or perhaps they have a writing club. I also searched for online creative writing courses, but most appeared to require a substantial fee. Here is a link that shows universities that offer free creative writing courses - you would have to read it to see if you can take them if you're a high school student: 10 Universities Offering Free Writing Courses Online

The hard one is marching band, though. I wasn't in one (I was in boring orchestra - I would have looked quite silly marching with a cello), but I had close friends that were in drill team that always went along with the band (also no clue if they still have those), and they had such a great time. To me, not having a marching band is similar to not having some type of sports - it really leaves a gap for a lot of students, and is not something that can be easily replicated by another activity, especially if you have already experienced it for a year. I really feel for you on that one. But you could try to replace it something else, a sport, or perhaps theater, which might appeal to your creative writing part of your psyche. You could also try looking into The Hollis Town Band, which is for students and adults, and could also eventually help you get a scholarship if you want one: "In addition to providing the opportunity for local students to perform in a band, the Hollis Town Band also sponsors the Schellenberg-Twichell-Jeynes Memorial Scholarship, given in the spring to deserving band members entering college or attending music camps. The scholarship is named in memory of longtime members and supporters of the band." The Hollis Town Band

You still have lots of time, and, with adjustment of expectations and willingness to branch out and try things you might not have thought about before, you might find this school experience will become much better than you consider it to be now.

I have suffered from depression on and off since before I was 10 years old, and I will be 60 very soon. High school was particularly awful for me. They didn't medicate children in those days, so depressed people were on their own. As an adult, I have been on nearly every depression medication there is, and I can tell you that only one ever helped me, and that was Prozac. But it had it's own side effects that were difficult to deal with, and which would have been very difficult as a teenager. I am not one to say tough it out, because depression is a deadly disease, but even without medication, it would probably be a good idea to see some type of a therapist. If your parents refuse, then speak to your school psychologist about it. Try to remember that some of what you are feeling is situational - new school, new students, and way out of your comfort zone from last year. Give it time - you will get more comfortable as time goes on. But talk to somebody about your depression if you can.

I wish you the best, happiest high school experience anyone can have.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,878,004 times
Thank you for your input.
But long before anyone starts medicating this kid lets review what happens in other places at other times.
Military kids move around a lot.
Parents get new jobs all of the time and have to move.
So this is nothing new.
All of this takes time and patience to adjust to a new school.

He/she has had plenty of suggestions. Give the kid a little time.
Let's hold off on the medication a tad longer.
This kid could be class president if he/she applies a little effort.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,172,106 times
I wasn't recommending medication, but I can see the way I wrote that might not have been clear. I was recommending that he/she see a therapist, not get on medication. OP wrote, in part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedconfuseddreams View Post
On top of that I've been diagnosed with depression back in December of 2013 . . . It has been coming back to me over this summer and has gotten worse since I've been going to this school.
The depression started long before OP switched schools, so therapy or at least some type of medical monitoring of the depression would probably be helpful.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:11 AM

37 posts, read 50,014 times
OP, I had a similar experience when I was in high school, so maybe I can provide some insight. During my freshman and sophomore years at School A, I was an honor student, active in our academic and social clubs, the teachers liked me, yadda yadda.

Then, I had to transfer school because of a move, and began to fail miserably. The teaching style at School B just did not work for my learning style, at all. Even the way French was taught was so different that I became really lost.

I transferred to School B with a 3.80 GPA, and graduated with barely 2.0, and it wasn't because I was lazy, but because I was so lost. In two years, my dream of attending university after high school was reduced to nil. Eventually, I did manage to earn my Bachelor, by attending community college first and then transferring, but it took many, many years; longer than it should have taken anybody.

If I could go back in time, I would have talked to my new teachers about my concerns. I would have explained to them HOW I was taught at my previous school, not to get them to change their methods, but to give them an idea of why I was struggling, you know? Instead, I kept quiet because I was so shy. Speak up, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Accept your reality as it is, and do something about it. Believe it or not, your teachers do want you to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: