Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,659,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman4017 View Post
"Heating "operating cost" cost ($ per million BTU) for air source heat pump is lower than propane or oil." What exactly are you talking about when you say air source heat pump?
Most people would say "mini split" or just "heat pump". I specified "air source heat pump" as compared to geothermal (aka "ground source heat pump"). The most common example of an "air source heat pump" is the standard air conditioning compressor, a "heat pump" is able to move heat both directions.

Quote:
Can you seriously use Diesel fuel? Just pour it in the tank? That sounds like the kind of thing one person would say and 10 others would say he was crazy. Not that I would know.
Yes, seriously. It's the straight dope.

Diesel is identical to heating oil, except they add a dye to heating oil to keep you from running your truck on it, and gas stations add ~25 cents/gallon in tax to "road diesel". There are a few service stations that sell "off road diesel" without the tax, but with a different colored dye added. Until a few years ago there was a minor difference between the two fuels, but now most home heating oil is at least Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD), and some states mandate the use of ULSD for both heating oil and diesel fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 PM

78 posts, read 92,084 times
Valerie,

I did have a buyers agent! Two in fact! One here and one in Mass where I was looking at first! In fact, I went to great pains to make sure I was as educated as possible about the home buying process and that I understood as much as I could about the area since I was coming from out of state. I did everything I was supposed to - did the research, compared lenders, spent some time in the area (and on this forum), talked to people at the schools, had an agent, got an inspection...but I still got screwed from both ends it feels like. My agent did talk a little about the pros and cons of different systems, but in the end I came away from the whole thing feeling like I didn't really trust him.

The whole closing process was, according to everyone I told about it including several realtor friends and a lawyer, the most convoluted, honked up process that they had ever heard of! Mostly because of the seller, to be fair.

Plus there were extreme time constraints in order to be here before school started for kids, and you probably know as well as I what the inventory in the area was like this summer.

Seriously, the tale of this home purchase is just insane (and way beyond the scope of this thread). The seller is in fact now living in a trailer 15 feet from my house and apparently may just hang out there indefinitely (he owns the lot next door) or he may now build a house there. But he's using our electricity, has part of the house utilities still in his name, and I went out the other day and he was painting a shed that is on MY property! A shed that still has all HIS crap in it! It is beyond screwed up, but it's too much to explain here. It's like a bad 80's comedy. But starting off having to replace the entire heating system a month in is really adding fuel to the fire here!

Sorry for the tangent. ;-)

Old 10-10-2015, 08:09 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,161,040 times
Bringing a lawsuit against the home inspector is not worth the time, effort or money. You should file a complaint instead with the NH Attorney General's consumer protection office, See link below.

Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau | NH Department of Justice

I also suggest looking into wood pellet stoves or even coal stoves as a temporary measure. Many New Englanders have supplemental wood heating and some have only wood heating.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 PM

78 posts, read 92,084 times
Yeah, I know a lawsuit is stupid, but I just hate, HATE getting bent over by people that and not being able to do anything about it. I'm going to contact them on Monday, since I discovered the testing discrepancy this weekend. Of course, I talked to the previous homeowner about the oil situation and asked about who he used and if they had ever said anything to him (I was told he used Palmer too). He replied that he only used Palmer for propane, he used another company for oil, and they went out of business this year. Naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire