Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 PM

84 posts, read 555,161 times

Advertisements

I currently live near Madison, WI and in about a year from now, I will be getting done with college.

I've always had the notion of living in a fairly big sized cities (Denver, Chicago, New York or Milwaukee were always near the top of my list) but recently I have thought that maybe a decent sized city, like Madison, where I live now would be nice too.

I'm curious as to what kind of jobs there are in Manchester. I will be graduating with a degree in Marketing, so I would be looking to get into that field. I love sports, so any type of marketing related work with a sports team or something would be amazing if possible. Is there much marketing related work in Manchester or is it hard to come by?

How is the weather out there? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of summer, but I love Fall and Winter much more. What kind of winters do you get? Call me crazy, but I enjoy cold temperatures and snow!

What do apartments near the downtown area cost? It doesn't need to be anything extremely luxurious, but I want a fairly nice one bedroom apartment.

Nightlife and entertainment, how is it? I'm not a big partier, but I would like to network and to maybe meet some women and other people.

Bugs, especially spiders, how are they? I absolutely hate spiders, primarily when they are in my living area. If they are outside, I can deal with them, but once they come inside, I freak out. Any shape, any size, I can't stand them. Do you guys have any problems with them?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,102,572 times
as a rule, spiders aren't a problem....not to say, they don't exist, but they do prefer the outdoors.

There are quite a few new sports teams in Manchester. A brand new basketball team that uses SNHU as home base. The Manchester Monarchs, hockey. there is also an indoor football team as well as a fairly new baseball stadium.

apartments for a single person range in price from $600 without utilities/heat to 800/900 with utilities and heat.

find a room mate and go for a two bedroom!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM

259 posts, read 1,320,011 times
I would not rate Manchester as a superior opportunity for employment (NH loses more of its college grads than it retains), but there is some and it seems to be getting incrementally better. So, do not make relocation plans without having a job lined up.

Manchester does have a young professionals group that has its own website and you might be able to do a little email networking with them in advance, both for job prospecting leads as well as some initial contacts.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,809 times
As for living in the city itself, stay away from downtown try to get a place on the outskirts of the city, or surrounding towns, Bedford, Hooksett. Plenty of sports teams within the city itself for you to get a job and the local radio stations do a lot of work with them. Nightlife is excellent, I've always enjoyed going out when I lived there but there are some shady places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire