Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,534,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
so, you're ok with a generation of little softies who shouldn't be burdened with other people's faith and culture? That's very healthy and open minded.

You're over complicating a very simple thing. It's a Christmas tree and a school's policy towards it. Not a nativity scene, not a statue of Mary, not a giant cross, not a star of David.
Ah that's today's society sadly.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
This thread gives quite a picture of New Hampshire.

So you think Christmas is a universal holiday? You don't know that Jewish people, for instance, celebrate their holiest of holy days in October? One size fits all? Not in the land of e-pluribus-unum.
I'm Jewish, and I am well aware that Christmas is not universally celebrated. But Christians are the vast majority in this country, and every state including NH.

I wouldn't dream of being offended by a Christmas tree. What a crock. This whole argument is a crock. NO ONE is offended.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:25 AM

238 posts, read 314,557 times
Quote:
I wouldn't dream of being offended by a Christmas tree. What a crock. This whole argument is a crock. NO ONE is offended.
But, but, but the fear and outrage machine must be fed! We must be constantly informed of the "others" that are destroying our way of life! Whether or not there are any "others" is immaterial. We must continually fear and loath "them" or else we might change the channel. ;-)

Old 12-05-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
But, but, but the fear and outrage machine must be fed! We must be constantly informed of the "others" that are destroying our way of life! Whether or not there are any "others" is immaterial. We must continually fear and loath "them" or else we might change the channel. ;-)
The very fact that it was removed indicates there are "others" as some of these replies also show, that is what the supposed "policy" is all about remember/

Old 12-05-2015, 07:14 AM

Just as an aside folks.. there is no constitutional law that forbids the word Christmas or forbidding a school district from allowing the word Christmas from being used in a flyer..no rules of law would have been violated. The Superintendent, new to the district acted on his own despite the same flyer being posted in years prior without incident , so I guess the one that was truly offended was him, which of course amounts to what I said earlier..PC stupidity.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,838,511 times
"The school superintendent in Marlborough, New Hampshire issued a Yuletide edict to the local American Legion post: you can’t call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

John Fletcher, the commander of the local American Legion post, said he was banned from using the word “Christmas” to promote the town’s upcoming Christmas tree lighting."

WTF?

Old 12-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
"The school superintendent in Marlborough, New Hampshire issued a Yuletide edict to the local American Legion post: you can’t call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

John Fletcher, the commander of the local American Legion post, said he was banned from using the word “Christmas” to promote the town’s upcoming Christmas tree lighting."

WTF?
The superintendent is probably related to this poor misguided soul.Borough councilwoman quits over the word 'Christmas' in tree lighting ceremony

Old 12-05-2015, 12:27 PM

639 posts, read 577,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Nobody is saying Jewish or other religions have to celebrate it. But why do Christian holidays need to be sanitized when mentioned? On my school calendar, it says: September 14 Rosh Hashanah - No school. September 24 Yom Kippur - No school. It does not say "September Holiday - No school". But Christmas and Easter now get watered down into "Winter Break" or "Spring Break" like they don't exist.

Acknowledging certain things exist is not the same as forcing it on others. Neither is offering an invite. I'm betting this flier did not say "Attend or you receive a failing grade".

@DC at the Ridge: When I was in elementary school (many, many years ago), I had a friend who was raised Jehovah's Witness. Whenever there was a class party, she had to go to the library. Several of us would bring the cookies or cake or whatever it was we had to her. She was always so happy to get that and would never have wanted the parties stopped for everyone else. Being in the library with cake and cookies and friends visiting still beat no celebration at all and doing math.

I also remember in 7th grade our school had its first Jewish student and on her holidays, she taught us what and how they celebrated and we had parties for that. The entire school put on a Hanukkuh festival in the cafeteria and we all learned a lot and had a great time.

Now, grown adults are less mature than school age children. If they can't have/don't want something, nobody else can or should have it either. Accept a holiday cheer message with the intent it was given, which is general good will, even if you are mistakenly given the wrong holiday greeting. Honestly people, grow up.
Exactly

Old 12-05-2015, 12:38 PM

989 posts, read 1,873,345 times
A guide to understanding today's Democratic Party

Diversity - Failure to assimilate, or selective segregation.

Multiculturalism - Cultural enrichment through national suicide.

Progressiveness - Progress through perversity.

Tolerance - Welcoming your adversaries with open arms and unlimited welfare.

Political correctness - Fools trying to convince each other of their moral superiority through the absurd misuse of our language.(Racism, phobias, haters, ad nauseum).

Liberalism - The philosophy of self-loathing, grasping, sniveling brats and their career victims.

Far-right - Any position toward the political center from Marx-Engels.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:00 PM

536 posts, read 842,069 times
As I said, lots of info here about the level of political discourse in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire