U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,249,140 times

Advertisements

I got engaged in October and we would like to elope to New England in 2009 ,as it is one of our favourite places on earth.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for wonderful places to Wed, ideally a really pretty village or town which would look stunning in October, with a really good and very special restaurant for a wedding lunch/dinner and Inn to stay in.

I am starting to get ideas from Friends and on the Net but would appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,495,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I got engaged in October and we would like to elope to New England in 2009 ,as it is one of our favourite places on earth.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for wonderful places to Wed, ideally a really pretty village or town which would look stunning in October, with a really good and very special restaurant for a wedding lunch/dinner and Inn to stay in.

I am starting to get ideas from Friends and on the Net but would appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your help.
We were married here in NH in September of 2006. We were living in Littleton and just wanted a small ceremony with a Justice of the Peace. It was just the two of us and hubby's daughter and her family who live the closest. We were married at the gazebo down by the river that runs through town (which I can never spell! <g>).

We didn't have to worry about a place to stay - we were married in the morning, had lunch at Miller's, then went for a horse-drawn carriage ride at the Mt. Washington Hotel, then back home.

I think it will depend on what you're looking for - it was not the first marriage for either of us, so we just did the simplest thing for us. In Littleton, there is Thayer's Inn, The Italian Oasis and even the Eastgate Motel has a very nice dining room with a pretty gazebo and fountain in the center of it.

This probably won't help you much, but it's what we did ... and we were lucky with the weather since we were outside!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,992,094 times
We were married at the Cathedral of the Pines in Rindge, NH. We were married in October 1994 and it was peak foliage with a beautiful view of Mt. Monadnock. In addition to the Mountain, there are several gardens for picture taking, etc.

Cathedral of the Pines (http://www.cathedralofthepines.org/weddings-at-cathedral-of-the-pines.html - broken link)

When we got married, right next store-within walking distance was a B and B. We also held our reception there. My husband and I slept there and family members were scattered throughout Rindge, Jaffrey and Keene at other hotels and B&Bs. We only had about 25 people at our wedding because at the time we lived in New Jersey not New Hampshire-so we did not need large accomodations. We lucked out because we had a sunny day and it was 70 degrees in October. The weekend prior it rained and they had to hold a few weddings inside the indoor chapel.

We had the rehersal dinner at the Woodbound Inn in Rindge. Several family members stayed there. Some in rooms and some in cabins on the lake. My parents stayed in a cabin and my dad was fishing like an hour before my wedding. I honestly do not remember how the food was as it was over 13 years ago. The inn and cabins are not luxury they are more rustic.

Good luck and congradulations.

Nicole

Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much to both of you. Both your weddings sound beautiful. It will be very low key as we are both "escaping" our families but of course like all Brides I still want it to be very chic, elegant and special nonetheless.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,495,689 times
Quote:
Thank you so much to both of you. Both your weddings sound beautiful. It will be very low key as we are both "escaping" our families but of course like all Brides I still want it to be very chic, elegant and special nonetheless.
Will it just be the two of you, or will you have some family/friends as well? That might also make a difference in where to have your wedding.

Since most of our family and friends were still in NY and couldn't get up here, we had a "second wedding" three weeks later at hubby's parents' in their backyard with a tent - we had the mayor of a small town "marry" us again with the friends and family around and then had a "BBQ reception" in the backyard........of course now everyone is confused as to when our anniversary is!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Will it just be the two of you, or will you have some family/friends as well? That might also make a difference in where to have your wedding.

Since most of our family and friends were still in NY and couldn't get up here, we had a "second wedding" three weeks later at hubby's parents' in their backyard with a tent - we had the mayor of a small town "marry" us again with the friends and family around and then had a "BBQ reception" in the backyard........of course now everyone is confused as to when our anniversary is!
I think it probably will be the two of us plus a couple of friends.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 AM

2,376 posts, read 1,656,407 times
Smile Hello Mooseketeer!

Congratulations! New England in the Fall is the perfect time of year for a wedding.

A great place in the White Mountains is Stonehurst Manor. There is a gazebo in the back with beautiful views. They have rooms to stay in & a dining room that serves breakfast & dinner. North Conway Lodging Jackson NH New Hampshire Hotels Pet Friendly Rooms Resort Hotel Accommodations Weddings Condo Rentals

Also, did you see this past thread? Wedding Venue Suggestions????

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,008,942 times
How exciting! Congrats!

Here is a link to the incredible place where I got married: Crestwood: Weddings (http://www.crestwood-e.com/wed/index.html - broken link) You really should read the website thoroughly & ck out the pics.
We didn't elope, but wanted an intimate (30-something people invited) but elegantly tasteful wedding in a New England location that was beautiful. Crestwood is off the beaten path, the grounds are private(and very new england!!), you share them with no other event, and the service and amenities are second to none. Incredible views, you can get married outdoors, or not. Good taste and classic style abound. Definitely worth checking out.

Best of luck to you, wherever you end up

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 19,137 times
Default nice place in Southern NH

My wife and I married in May of this past year and we live in Southern NH. There is a small Chapel in Hudson NH called the alvirne chapel. We had a nice ceremony and a JP do the service. It has old world charm.

Alvirne Chapel

Just to add my parents where married there over 25 years ago and it was just as pretty.

Good luck with your wedding!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 16,754 times
Default Where to get married in NH?

Newington, NH Town Chruch. Oldest working church in the nation.

Quote:

Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire