Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

Keene is a lovely college town. I've only been twice but I liked it a lot! tons of great restaurants, a vibe, etc.

that being said, it's 2 hours to Boston. I don't know if that's a factor for you or not. It's also pretty isolated, IMO. the town itself is vibrant when school is in session. But neighboring towns are not.

again, JMO

and BTW, you are so right about NH being beautiful!! it's not only beautiful here but so CLEAN! The air, the water in the lakes, I've never seen anything like it anywhere before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 AM

84 posts, read 99,820 times
What is your budget and what kind of housing are you looking for?

Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Stated time and time again here.
Rent for the first year before purchasing.

There is story after story after story here of people buying a nice home in the wrong area or a buying a home that does not sell when needed. And taking a major loss when selling.

But it is your money so go for it.
^^^ THIS
This goes for anywhere ,not just NH .

Do not EVER think your money is being wasted on rent, I get SO MANY PERKS from renting . I owned my own farm over 25 years and have been out nearly ten and Ill never own again. Still have my horses though and more time to train them.

Its not as sound an investment as you think especially if you think you MIGHT move in a year or two , renting is the best economical thing you could do for your self and the kids .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
not in NH. I have been mostly unsuccessful using this feature here. Google earth yes, but not street view. Not unless it's a main road.
I was even unsuccessful using that a couple of years back in Portland, Oregon of all places looking for a theater showing a film we wanted to see and ended up in an upscale residential neighborhood nowhere near it . LOL by the time we found it all showings were over and we were so exhausted we went home and passed out !

Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
"I am reading loud and clear that I should look into renting;"

BUT . . . . .

Don't like landlords . . . . and on and on. So full steam ahead and going to buy something no matter what.

Google maps is fine for looking. Then you could actually make a short visit. AND still get a nice home in the wrong area. Way too many variables that potentially apply.

I don't have the link to the post here where the lady/man posted about buying a nice home - then 2 years later they needed to sell - and they were completely upside down on mortgage. Losing about $40,000 in the process. That posting is here someplace.

There are two areas of my town that have a variety of homes and all would be considered nice. Nice rural areas. Nice town. Nice schools. But each area is known by the locals as the "ghettos". The local selling real estate agent isn't going to use this word to describe these areas. And on the surface these areas look virtually perfect New Hampshire neighborhoods/streets/area.

Back to the word used by many here: RENT.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default Sometimes (e.g. when you have 3 dobermans) renting isn't a viable option

There are legitimate reasons not to rent; I didn't rent when I moved to New Hampshire, but I had friends and a job (and an office) in the area, and flew out many times before I made an offer on a house.

Aside from Google Maps, I made a lot of use of the Bing Maps "Bird's Eye View" as well as topo and FEMA flood maps. Also searched local police blotter, etc. to get a feel for the problem areas.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 4,721 times
Renting in NH has been interesting.
We've rented privately and in a complex in NH.

Try to go month to month ASAP in case you find yourself in a bad situation. Many apartments here are privately rented bits of houses that are cut up into apartments. They are NOT soundproof or smoking proof.

People tend to smoke A LOT in NH compared to other states I have lived in. It seems very common to smell your fellow tenants smoke and even in places with nonsmoking leases you are bound to have issues. We have had problems with drugs as well in each place we rented, from the other tenants smoking pot to being arrested for dealing.

Go on the local police sites where you may live to see the crime in the area. With 2 little girls don't take the idea that NH is safe for granted.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
I sure wish I had rented for a couple of years when I first moved to New Hampshire. I really didn't give myself enough time to settle in and decide where I wanted to be. Also, I didn't consider heating sources and other stuff seriously enough. I finally sold my first NH house, but I took a 70K loss on it just to move to where I wanted to be. I knew within a couple of years that I wasn't where I wanted to be, and then spent the next 7 years pining away looking online at real estate in my desired location. I finally had to bite the bullet and take the loss, rather than sit in a place I didn't want to be for another 10 years in the hope that the RE market might turn around enough to minimize my loss. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to rent for a little while. If you end up in a bad landlord situation, you can move in a year. If you are upside down in a house, you could very well be stuck for years.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
There are legitimate reasons not to rent; I didn't rent when I moved to New Hampshire, but I had friends and a job (and an office) in the area, and flew out many times before I made an offer on a house.

Aside from Google Maps, I made a lot of use of the Bing Maps "Bird's Eye View" as well as topo and FEMA flood maps. Also searched local police blotter, etc. to get a feel for the problem areas.
Three Dobermans! That is awesome. ..love them.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Meredith is a great choice.Small town feel but close to shopping and the interstate.
I'm not in real estate but would definitely use a broker that knows the area so that you don't get stuck next to landfill or commercial operation.
Meredith is primarily a tourist town but schools are ok and lots of families your age.Lots of outside activities for the kids with the lakes and mountains.
Lived there most of my life....be glad to help if you need any info.
You didn't say if you plan to work or not but might be wise to check the job market before you move.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Sorry to keep beating this drum but there's a reason everyone is saying this... rent first, if only to figure out if you like the town.

Properties in NH (like most areas of the US) aren't appreciating at a rate that will allow you to profit in just a few years of ownership (not when you figure in your added costs like property taxes and such) so be careful. Flipping houses was a pre-2008 meltdown thing when property values were rising like crazy.

I've owned my home for 15 years and I'm actually looking forward to being a renter again when we eventually relocate a few years down the road. Taking proper care of a house and property in the north country is a lot of work. Heating systems, snow removal, weathering and damage upkeep, landscaping, etc. Property taxes can be high, and selling can take forever unless you are willing to take a bath.

If you decide on the Upper Valley area, do a search of the forums for that term (or "Dartmouth") and you'll find lots of posts. I love this area and have lived here since the late 80's. It has a lot to offer. Not too rural, not too built up. Great mix of small towns that, collectively, offer a myriad of choices for things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire