Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Tires tires tires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Even if it has 4WD, snow tires will be much better for an inexperienced snow driver.

Traction control doesn't work as one might think it would in snow. I generally keep mine turned off in the slippery stuff (2011 Charger RWD on all seasons). It will actually prevent wheelspin, which you may need to get moving. You apply gas, computer detects wheelspin and removes power, you go nowhere.
I can't stand traction control either. I need to figure out how to turn it off on my car. Probably just a button I need to find.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:54 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Even if it has 4WD, snow tires will be much better for an inexperienced snow driver.

Traction control doesn't work as one might think it would in snow. I generally keep mine turned off in the slippery stuff (2011 Charger RWD on all seasons). It will actually prevent wheelspin, which you may need to get moving. You apply gas, computer detects wheelspin and removes power, you go nowhere.
So my guess might be right then, in regards to the OP's car twice not moving at all when she applied the gas in the slippery conditions.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
You are clearly inexperienced and timid driving on snow. Forget technique - that take times and practice.

You should put snow tires on your car. You leave them on until the end of March (put them on in Nov) You can order them from any tire place but I prefer tirerack (they will come mounted on rims). Take them to a gas station and they will put them on. They will last several seasons.

Problem solved.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:19 PM

639 posts, read 579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You are clearly inexperienced and timid driving on snow. Forget technique - that take times and practice.

You should put snow tires on your car. You leave them on until the end of March (put them on in Nov) You can order them from any tire place but I prefer tirerack (they will come mounted on rims). Take them to a gas station and they will put them on. They will last several seasons.

Problem solved.
I think the OP clearly stated that they were inexperienced and timid driving on snow.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:44 PM

196 posts, read 276,016 times
No matter how much I've driven in the snow - there was snow in MD - I still get nervous.

I will say that NH drivers are much more patient and nicer when you go slow. Well, for the most part. In MD there were just a$$holes!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM

37 posts, read 50,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
No matter how much I've driven in the snow - there was snow in MD - I still get nervous.

I will say that NH drivers are much more patient and nicer when you go slow. Well, for the most part. In MD there were just a$$holes!
Very true! I was so relieved and grateful that nobody honked or cursed at me last night.

Again, thank you, everybody, for your advice and kind words.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Yes. Please be careful and go only as fast as you are comfortable going. However, keep an eye on your rear view mirror. If you see that there are others behind you wanting to go faster, then pull over when you can to let them pass. Share the roads.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:51 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
TIRES, TIRES, TIRES! They do make all the difference. Not a fan of the RAV4, I drive a Subaru, but dedicated winter set of tire will make it handle much better. I wager you have all season tires on now and they might not have a large amount of tread if they are older.
Subaru are the BEST snow cars out there!! In Alaska I never once got stuck in my little Subaru, while I did some sliding around, it always seemed not scary as my other vehicles. I miss that car.

I agree tires do make a difference, so much that you will feel it when you change them. Also Op, I remember when I first drove in snow it was so scary and I felt really helpless. Just remember to air pump your brakes and do not hit them hard, I pretend I am gonna press them when I feel the urge to stop suddenly, but only lightly brake then when feel ok then full brake. This helped me a lot. Also if you need to get to work you really need to leave earlier until you start to feel comfortable. It is very stressful when trying to hurry to work and it gets slippery outside. Also stay away as much from other cars, but not sure where you are and if a busy area. When I drove in a city, I went super slow and if people were riding my tail I just pulled over and took my time. So not worth that stress.

You will get the hang of it, it will just take time. Is better for you to use your husband only in emergency like if you get stuck as he seems to not be of help, which is common with those we are closest to. My mom was a nightmare when she taught me to drive. I think it is better to go alone or with someone you just met to practice, as they will be less judgmental and more patient.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
You'll get used to it. After you get good tires, just keep practicing. Drive slowly, don't apply the brakes (let the car slow down on its own instead if you can), don't turn the wheel except very gradually, don't try to accelerate. Just keep a slow and steady pace. Look far ahead of you to see what conditions you are approaching, like a hill or a curve so you can get ready. Always remember that even if the road looks clear, there can still be ice and often there is ice under a thin coating of snow. AND--take if from me even on a sunny day when the snow has melted, there can be ice in the wooded areas where the sun hasn't been able to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire