Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 AM

1,745 posts, read 879,049 times

Advertisements

Hey bler144 - ever party in the "haunted house" - I think it's on Rt 108 heading toward Dover??

I grew up in Exeter and back then, the public school system wasn't the greatest but they've built a new school and it seems nice. Nice sports fields, etc. but I can't say much about the educational system. It does include all the surrounding towns (Stratham, Newfields, East Kingston and Kensington I think). The town has grown a lot since I was there.

My son gratuated Portsmouth High in 2010 and got a good education. Honors Program, AP classes, etc. Great athletics and the kids were all really supportive of each other.

Having said that, like most of the Seacoast area and lots of areas in Maine, there is a major drug problem in the area now that wasn't so bad when my son was there (heroin, mostly).

Can't speak for the primary schools in Portsmouth since we were in Rye and schools there run through 8th grade then they go to Portsmouth High.

Given the choice, I would still like in Rye with the kids and send them to Portsmouth High rather than living in Portsmouth. Rye is a very safe town for kids and most walk or bike to school and the beach in the warm weather with no problems.

Summer traffic in Portsmouth can be a mess with Market Square Day and all the other events closing down streets down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,739 times
My three kids (one UNH grad, 2 in college) love Portsmouth. The middle school and high school are great. We lived in walking distance to downtown and yes, a smaller place then we could get further out but for us it was about the quality of life and school district more than the large home. It can be hard to find a home for rent in Portsmouth but they are out there. The commute to UNH is easy. Between Portsmouth and Hampton, I'd easily say Portsmouth. You always feel like you are on vacation it's such a great place to live.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:03 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
My main gripes about Portsmouth:
A. It can get congested/crowded during summer and dead in winter.
B. The downtown core is not really geared to residents.. No hardware stores, pharmacies.. Most of the storefront is geared towards tourusts and bars/restaurants..
iMO only

Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
My main gripes about Portsmouth:
A. It can get congested/crowded during summer and dead in winter.
B. The downtown core is not really geared to residents.. No hardware stores, pharmacies.. Most of the storefront is geared towards tourusts and bars/restaurants..
iMO only
It's tough to have a downtown hardware store when you have a Home Depot in town. You can't possibly do enough business to pay the rent. This is the case anywhere in the country. I never found it to be a hardship to have to go up Islington Street or to strip mall hell on Woodbury Street to get to a pharmacy. You're already going that way to the grocery store.

The only annoying time in Portsmouth is Motorcycle Week in Laconia. That high a density of straight pipe Harleys is a bit much.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 AM

84 posts, read 99,914 times
Downtown Portsmouth is not dead in the winter. The restaurants, etc., are all still full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire