Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

Note: Anytime you go to the top of Mt. Washington bring WARM cloths. It may not be all that high but it is never summer up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 738 times
The autoroad is so awesome! At 6200+ feet it's the tallest peak in all of the northeast. Driving your own car is the way to go. We went up last fall and the weather was so awesome we went back the very next day. Day 2 the weather was crazy so we got to see the best of the best and the worst.The walks and hikes you can take above the trees are amazing. Even if your not much of a hiker the trails are easy if you stay close to the road. We loved the views along the road more than the view at the top. The top was packed with tourists and you look out and down on everything. The views on the road itself are much more impressive. We really had no interest in the cog as it's stinky, smoggy and cost 3x as much as driving our own car. What cost about $45 for the 4 of us in the car would have been over $250 on the cog. No way! When the cog arrived at the top it dumped off like 200 people. It was awful. We headed back down to where there was barely anyone.

As far as safety the road gets steep in places and tight in others. Most of the road is paved so not sure what the comment above was all about. We were more concerned with other drivers to be honest. On the way down just drop your automatic into 2nd gear, or even first to go slower and you barely need to touch the brakes. The pull offs are really for the older cars way back in the day. New cars should have no problem whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and drive and spend the day up there. It's amazing!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM

822 posts, read 851,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinlifeNH View Post
The autoroad is so awesome! At 6200+ feet it's the tallest peak in all of the northeast. Driving your own car is the way to go. We went up last fall and the weather was so awesome we went back the very next day. Day 2 the weather was crazy so we got to see the best of the best and the worst.The walks and hikes you can take above the trees are amazing. Even if your not much of a hiker the trails are easy if you stay close to the road. We loved the views along the road more than the view at the top. The top was packed with tourists and you look out and down on everything. The views on the road itself are much more impressive. We really had no interest in the cog as it's stinky, smoggy and cost 3x as much as driving our own car. What cost about $45 for the 4 of us in the car would have been over $250 on the cog. No way! When the cog arrived at the top it dumped off like 200 people. It was awful. We headed back down to where there was barely anyone.

As far as safety the road gets steep in places and tight in others. Most of the road is paved so not sure what the comment above was all about. We were more concerned with other drivers to be honest. On the way down just drop your automatic into 2nd gear, or even first to go slower and you barely need to touch the brakes. The pull offs are really for the older cars way back in the day. New cars should have no problem whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and drive and spend the day up there. It's amazing!

yeah .. one reason I want to drive is so I can take my time and do some hiking around the mountain, another is to save money, so def not interested in the cog. Im a pretty adventurous person, looking forward to the thrill of driving up a mountain

Old 01-21-2016, 02:49 PM

822 posts, read 851,597 times
Im planning on camping at Lost River Campground. Has anyone been there?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM

8,453 posts, read 4,502,573 times
I have hiked up to the summit multiple times as well as gone up in the back bed of a pickup truck. Driving up didn't seem bad unless there was 2 way traffic and you had to move to the side. Driver must concentrate the entire trip and can't really enjoy it much. Warned about damaging your brakes. Might be a better option to go up in one of the vans or by the cog railway.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinlifeNH View Post

Actually it's only the first one in the morning that is a "stinky" steam engine. All the others are environmentally friendly bio-diesel. But yes, it does cost. I still think it's awesome

Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,534,603 times
The cog is something I want to do, it is another trip entirely

Old 02-02-2016, 12:57 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times
Here is a video of aerial drone footage of Mt. Washington:

http://www.mediawing.com/portfolio_p...-from-the-air/

Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 18,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Here, preview it yourself - this is descending from the summit at sunrise:

Notice the lovely sun dog/rainbow at 40 seconds in.

I like to turn off the sound and listen to some nice music while I watch - it's hypnotizing.
Beautiful video! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to drive this, but seeing your video, I don't think I'll take my car - it seems like it would be pretty taxing on my 4 cylinder. lol

Old 02-02-2016, 03:34 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,534,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowe027 View Post
Beautiful video! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to drive this, but seeing your video, I don't think I'll take my car - it seems like it would be pretty taxing on my 4 cylinder. lol
if a Harley Sportster can do it , your car can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire