Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times

Advertisements

Nicole - Won't be long now and you'll have survived the "keeping the secret"! <g> I hope you have great weather and a great time and I hope your hubby is very surprised!

We spent the weekend visiting my son and his family in NYS. Good lord was it HOT! We couldn't believe it. It was my granddaughter's 4th b'day and they had the party outside - at the peak of the afternoon, it was 83 degrees. That "just ain't right"! We had a good time anyway.

For those who had asked about allergies (I think there was someone on this forum who mentioned them somewhere) - I always had an allergy problem in NY. This weekend was no exception. I started sneezing filling up within an hour of being there - it was so nice to get back to the motel room with the a/c!

We had a lot of fun, saw quite a few people we hadn't seen since we moved up here. Of course being with the grandbabies was nice too Even got to speak with my son's dad (aka my ex-husband) - even that was enjoyable!

Bryfry - if you're reading this - I had asked if you knew the one family from Millerton who had the farm and were related to my ex - don't know if you remember or not....anyway - they are now living in Wells, Maine, which was a big surprise. Evidently they are in the process of selling the farm in NY...another dairy farm gone....or soon to be gone.

We had a good time, but I WISH there was a better way to get from here to Saratoga - The majority of the trip is on Route 4 through VT and then NY - it would take much less time if we didn't have to go Route 4 - while it's nice to see the little towns, it's a pain to have to drive 35 mph through all of them

Yesterday it was exactly 2 years since we moved to NH - hubby and I both thought it was funny, coming back home the same date we packed up and headed north on the "anniversary" of our move. That's a very convoluted sentence and if you understand it - good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
Default Is it lilac season yet??? pussywillows???

I soooo miss the lilacs and the pussywillows - does anyone know if they are blooming yet? Can you do some pictures?

Oh and if anyone has some of ladyslippers that would be awesome. My grandparents had a house that had acres of woods and the ladyslippers were wild and plentiful there -- along with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries. It was always a delicious treat to go to the "farm" every weekend.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
the pussywillows have gone by for the most part - they are starting to leaf out.

the lilacs are not blooming yet, no leaves yet - when they do, I'll post pictures.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
We also have the biggest "jack in the pulpits" I've ever seen. I used to see lady slippers all the time, but I haven't seen one in years. They were a protected plant.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
We also have the biggest "jack in the pulpits" I've ever seen. I used to see lady slippers all the time, but I haven't seen one in years. They were a protected plant.
Oh I'd love to see those pics too...we had 1 lonely jack in the pulpit grow by the Cocheco River on my grandparents property. Last I knew lady slippers are still protected - not sure if they still are...guess ill go look that up on wiki.

thanks for posting pictures in the future of the lilacs - I will certainly enjoy them

Old 04-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Interesting on wiki that it doesn't talk about the lady slipper being protected ever. but it did say this:

The Pink Lady's Slipper, (Cypripedium acaule), is the official state wildflower of New Hampshire.

I didn't know that!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Happy 2 year Anniversary Dare. It sounds like you all had a really nice weekend. Anything over the 80s' is too hot for me. I am so not looking forward to the summer out here.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Happy 2 year Anniversary Dare. It sounds like you all had a really nice weekend. Anything over the 80s' is too hot for me. I am so not looking forward to the summer out here.
Thanks Suzet - We did have a nice weekend in spite of the "heat" Today was perfect - hit the lower 70's.....I can't stand the heat - I can't imagine living in Cali or other warm areas. Although, if it's not and not humid, it's not *too* bad - humidity does me in big-time!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Bryfry - if you're reading this - I had asked if you knew the one family from Millerton who had the farm and were related to my ex - don't know if you remember or not....anyway - they are now living in Wells, Maine, which was a big surprise. Evidently they are in the process of selling the farm in NY...another dairy farm gone....or soon to be gone.
I can't remember the name, but my parents were friendly with the people who owned the big place on Rt 22 just after the Rt 199 split, right ouside of town. They had a huge farm stand, etc. They also were the ones to get hit by the small tornado back in the mid 70's and lost a silo and a barn. We lived in town at the top of Dutchess Ave. We were close to Kelly's farm on Rudd Pond Road. I used to work there as a kid stacking hay and driving the tractors. My dad had a welding business on the side and knew all the farmers in the area. He was always fixing stuff for them. In exchange, we would get free milk for the family and hay for our animals. It's a crying shame that there is no more dairy industry there anymore. It was the life-blood of the community at one point. Half the boys in my class were in the Future Farmers of America. I learned to drive farm machinery way before I ever got a licence to drive. Sad. Really sad.

Anywho, I have to get back to the sleeping family. They are all wiped out from the drive and running around yesterday in Concord. We had an awesome meal at the Barley House, and then we did some shopping. We're going for icecream tonight at the Moose on main st. I'm getting some great pictures to show you all. I'll post them next Monday. We are going to the Planetarium today, and then do some driving to Weare and check out some houses. We'll hit Manchester tomorrow for some other fun stuff at the SEE museum. I wanted to go to the Canterbury Shaker Village, but alas, they are closed. They don't open until May 10th. Rats. Well, ta-ta for now!!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
I can't remember the name, but my parents were friendly with the people who owned the big place on Rt 22 just after the Rt 199 split, right ouside of town. They had a huge farm stand, etc. They also were the ones to get hit by the small tornado back in the mid 70's and lost a silo and a barn. We lived in town at the top of Dutchess Ave. We were close to Kelly's farm on Rudd Pond Road. I used to work there as a kid stacking hay and driving the tractors. My dad had a welding business on the side and knew all the farmers in the area. He was always fixing stuff for them. In exchange, we would get free milk for the family and hay for our animals. It's a crying shame that there is no more dairy industry there anymore. It was the life-blood of the community at one point. Half the boys in my class were in the Future Farmers of America. I learned to drive farm machinery way before I ever got a licence to drive. Sad. Really sad.

Anywho, I have to get back to the sleeping family. They are all wiped out from the drive and running around yesterday in Concord. We had an awesome meal at the Barley House, and then we did some shopping. We're going for icecream tonight at the Moose on main st. I'm getting some great pictures to show you all. I'll post them next Monday. We are going to the Planetarium today, and then do some driving to Weare and check out some houses. We'll hit Manchester tomorrow for some other fun stuff at the SEE museum. I wanted to go to the Canterbury Shaker Village, but alas, they are closed. They don't open until May 10th. Rats. Well, ta-ta for now!!
Bryfry - I believe that's probably the same family. A lot of the guys I went to school with were in the FFA as well, and it is a shame to see the farms, dairy and others going away.

Sounds like you're having a really good time in NH! Enjoy your vacation....then take another week to vacation from your vacation!

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire