Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM

215 posts, read 583,715 times

Advertisements

I make a pretty tasty dandelion soup. I got it from Yankee Magazine years ago. It's basically a Portugese kale soup but I've changed things a little.
Ingredients:
6 medium size potatoes ( I use Idaho )
2lbs. of Chourico sausage
1 onion
4 tbl. spoons of chopped garlic ( the pre-bottled stuff)
8 cups of water
2 bunches of dandelions or any green leafy veggie ,kale,spinach,beet greens,collard greens.

In a good size pot drizzle a little olive in the bottom and saute the onion and garlic.
Add the water, while water is heating up cut up the potatoes to about 1/4" slices.
When the potatoes are all cut up put them in the pot. While the potatoes are cooking ,fry the sausages until done. When they are done cut them into 1/4" slices.
Add sausages to pot. Take the dandelion(no stems)and chop them all up.Ten minutes after the sausage go in put the dandelions in. Ten minutes after that you ready to eat.Add salt and pepper to taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 AM

238 posts, read 823,681 times
Maybe it's just me but I've never heard of a whoopie pie. Is that specific to New England I assume? Sounds good. I'll have to try it sometime.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,539,775 times
Wink The mothership has landed! Whoopie!!

WooHoo...guess who has Fluff in the house...um, wait that doesn't sound right! My connections came through. Actually, they informed me that a certain grocery store carries Fluff sometimes. LOL, this whole time it's been on a shelf less than two miles from my house. Of course the jar my connections supplied me with was used for fluffernutters. I bought a new jar today (I'm still in shock that I was able to do this). Can you imagine being so giddy over a jar of marshmallow creme? I didn't need a bag...I bet the cashier thought I was being environmentally friendly...well normally that'd be the case, but this time it's 'cuz I just wanted to admire my purchase, lol. I held it in one hand & in the other I held my son's hand...we skipped to the car and sang, "we have Fluff, we have Fluff!"

Guess who's making Whoopie Pies for Easter??

southernjewishgal, Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.... It is a New England treat. I found an interesting article on the history of the Whoopie Pie too Whoopie Pie, Whoopie Pie History and Recipe

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggaBoo2 View Post
WooHoo...guess who has Fluff in the house...um, wait that doesn't sound right! My connections came through. Actually, they informed me that a certain grocery store carries Fluff sometimes. LOL, this whole time it's been on a shelf less than two miles from my house. Of course the jar my connections supplied me with was used for fluffernutters. I bought a new jar today (I'm still in shock that I was able to do this). Can you imagine being so giddy over a jar of marshmallow creme? I didn't need a bag...I bet the cashier thought I was being environmentally friendly...well normally that'd be the case, but this time it's 'cuz I just wanted to admire my purchase, lol. I held it in one hand & in the other I held my son's hand...we skipped to the car and sang, "we have Fluff, we have Fluff!"

southernjewishgal, Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.... It is a New England treat. I found an interesting article on the history of the Whoopie Pie too Whoopie Pie, Whoopie Pie History and Recipe
Haha Boo, I am glad you finally got your "Fluff". I have 4 jars in my cabinet, you never know when the mood is going to strike for some spicy pumpkin whoopie pies. You will have to let me know how yours turn out on Easter. Thanks for the link with the story on whoopie pies too.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Fluff is made in Lynn, Massachusetts. Local food makes good!!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I'm glad you got your Fluff, Boo. We never liked Marshmallow Creme when we were in Misery (Missouri) but that's all there was. WE got care packages every once in a while and Fluff was always included. Too bad lobster wasn't included more often... ANYWAY, I was wondering what you mean by frankfurter buns... and how they differ from regular hot dog buns. I never knew there was a difference LOL.

One thing that (if you like hot dogs) you need to try out here is a steamed Essem natural casing hot dog. Nothing like it! I might eat 2 hot dogs a year, but when I do have one, it's gotta be an Essem.
Y'essem, it's Essem!

Quote:
We even brought the frankfurter buns back without squishing it. We haven't found any of those here in Cali. We tried slicing the regular hot dog buns, but it's just not the same.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:

Boo - Happy to hear you got your fluff! I can just picture you and your son skipping in the parking lot!

Hubby loves Wheatena and we could not find it anywhere up here. When we asked about it in the stores, they looked at us like we had 3 heads or something. We'd have relatives send us some from NY and when we visited, we'd stop and get some, then we ran out...Hubby going through Wheatena withdrawal was not a pretty site - I finally ordered a case of it via the internet so he can always get his "fix."

Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm glad you got your Fluff, Boo. We never liked Marshmallow Creme when we were in Misery (Missouri) but that's all there was. WE got care packages every once in a while and Fluff was always included. Too bad lobster wasn't included more often... ANYWAY, I was wondering what you mean by frankfurter buns... and how they differ from regular hot dog buns. I never knew there was a difference LOL.

One thing that (if you like hot dogs) you need to try out here is a steamed Essem natural casing hot dog. Nothing like it! I might eat 2 hot dogs a year, but when I do have one, it's gotta be an Essem.
Y'essem, it's Essem!
It seems frankfurter buns & hot dog buns are interchangeable, but I think they are two different things. The New England frankfurter bun is also used for lobster rolls. I would take a lobsta roll over a dog anytime! But sometimes a good hot dog hits the spot...I'll have to try an Essem.

Anyway...I found a really good example of a frankfurter bun...but it's on someone's blog & I don't think I can link it to CD. It's the flat sided buns split at the top that you butter & pan fry. A hot dog bun has rounded top, flat bottom (with crust) & split on the side...usually they are steamed. Does this make sense?

Found another example & I think it's ok to link this...since it's a recipe: Recipes : The World-Famous Maine Lobster Roll : Food Network

This is a regular hot dog bun: Hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the New England style buns taste much better...no matter how you slice a regular hot dog bun and even if it's fried in butter...it still just doesn't cut the mustard!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
I make a pretty tasty dandelion soup. I got it from Yankee Magazine years ago. It's basically a Portugese kale soup but I've changed things a little.
Ingredients:
6 medium size potatoes ( I use Idaho )
2lbs. of Chourico sausage
1 onion
4 tbl. spoons of chopped garlic ( the pre-bottled stuff)
8 cups of water
2 bunches of dandelions or any green leafy veggie ,kale,spinach,beet greens,collard greens.

In a good size pot drizzle a little olive in the bottom and saute the onion and garlic.
Add the water, while water is heating up cut up the potatoes to about 1/4" slices.
When the potatoes are all cut up put them in the pot. While the potatoes are cooking ,fry the sausages until done. When they are done cut them into 1/4" slices.
Add sausages to pot. Take the dandelion(no stems)and chop them all up.Ten minutes after the sausage go in put the dandelions in. Ten minutes after that you ready to eat.Add salt and pepper to taste.
Colebrook - This sounds good, but would probably have to use spinach instead of dandelions for hubby<g>. Do you make dandelion wine? The last time I had that was back in high school when a classmate and his family would make it, but would never say HOW they made it! Must have been a "family secret" of some short <g>

Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Fluff is made in Lynn, Massachusetts. Local food makes good!!
And if you're not lucky enough to live in New England...or have a store near you to skip to then you can also buy it via the internet. There is also raspberry & strawberry Fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Haha Boo, I am glad you finally got your "Fluff". I have 4 jars in my cabinet, you never know when the mood is going to strike for some spicy pumpkin whoopie pies. You will have to let me know how yours turn out on Easter. Thanks for the link with the story on whoopie pies too.
Four Jars! TeeHeeHee. Original Fluff is sold by the case online...can you imagine 48 oz of Fluff delivered right to your door!

Your spicy pumpkin ones sound so yummy! I will give a full report on my whoopie pie baking experience, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Boo - Happy to hear you got your fluff! I can just picture you and your son skipping in the parking lot!

Hubby loves Wheatena and we could not find it anywhere up here. When we asked about it in the stores, they looked at us like we had 3 heads or something. We'd have relatives send us some from NY and when we visited, we'd stop and get some, then we ran out...Hubby going through Wheatena withdrawal was not a pretty site - I finally ordered a case of it via the internet so he can always get his "fix."
I'd be cranky too if someone cut back on my fiber intake. Good thing for the internet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire