Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,894,319 times

Advertisements

Whoo Hoo!! It's Whoopie Pies!!! I think they look GREAT (hmmm it must be getting close to midnight here in NH!!) And if I remember right when I posted the recipe I may have mentioned to use light corn syrup, but completely forgot to say anything about the crisco HEY as long as they're yummy, it's all good, right? So what if they're a little yellow.... on a side note, I went to make some last weekend, and it's been so long since I've baked that my crisco was kind of yellow and yucky smelling. I need to replace when I shop tomorrow... Good for you Boo, enjoy every last one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,894,319 times
Default Maple Snow Candy

OK, here we are, the end of March, the middle of maple syrup season, and a snow day to boot! I think it's a day to make some snow candy

Here what we do:

First, either put your cookie sheet or 9x13 baking dish in the freezer or outside. Snow melts fast when it hits a room-temp pan.

1/2 stick butter (yes, real butter. This is candy, not health food)
1 cup REAL maple syrup (not Vermont Maid, etc)
popsicle sticks (or toothpicks, etc)

Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn down to low, but keep the mixture boiling for about 6 or 7 minutes. Too short is better than too long. Take it off the heat source, and let it cool for about 2 minutes--while you're waiting, go collect the snow into those chilled pans. Drizzle the syrup over the snow in strands, and pick it up with the popsicle sticks or toothpicks, rolling the candy onto the stick. Depending on how long you've cooked the syrup for, you could have chewy or crunchy candy. This is the perfect activity for a snow day like today!!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,170,022 times
Talking Hello Valerie!! Thank You!!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT POST!!

I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP I USE IT FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING!!!

Thank you for this idea!! YUMMY!!!

Take care VALERIE!!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
OK, here we are, the end of March, the middle of maple syrup season, and a snow day to boot! I think it's a day to make some snow candy

Here what we do:

First, either put your cookie sheet or 9x13 baking dish in the freezer or outside. Snow melts fast when it hits a room-temp pan.

1/2 stick butter (yes, real butter. This is candy, not health food)
1 cup REAL maple syrup (not Vermont Maid, etc)
popsicle sticks (or toothpicks, etc)

Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn down to low, but keep the mixture boiling for about 6 or 7 minutes. Too short is better than too long. Take it off the heat source, and let it cool for about 2 minutes--while you're waiting, go collect the snow into those chilled pans. Drizzle the syrup over the snow in strands, and pick it up with the popsicle sticks or toothpicks, rolling the candy onto the stick. Depending on how long you've cooked the syrup for, you could have chewy or crunchy candy. This is the perfect activity for a snow day like today!!

Last edited by countrylv22; 03-31-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: GREAT RECIPE!!YUMMY!!!:0) LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!:0)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:59 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,937,499 times
Boo, the whoopie pies look great. I'd eat one.

Val the maple candy sounds yummy.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,635,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP I USE IT FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING!!!
How about acorn squash, cut in half seeds cleaned out, put halves in baking pan facing up, fill with maple syrup and bake for 45 min at 350. Yum.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,170,022 times
Talking Hello "BRYFRY"!! THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH "BRYFRY" YUMMY!!

GREAT & EASY IDEA for acorn squash!!

I appreciate the TIP, I love MAPLE SYRUP on a lot of things, its GREAT!

And hey, its NATURAL! LOL! LOL! So, its healthy!! LOL!

Take care "BRYFRY",

Have a great day everyone!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
How about acorn squash, cut in half seeds cleaned out, put halves in baking pan facing up, fill with maple syrup and bake for 45 min at 350. Yum.

Last edited by countrylv22; 04-04-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: SMILE EVERYONE & IT COMES BACK TO YOU!:0) IT WORKS! :0)HAVE A GREAT DAY! :0)

Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
Check out the Apple Pie contest at Mack's Apple in Londonderry when the crop is in.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,937,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check out the Apple Pie contest at Mack's Apple in Londonderry when the crop is in.

My favorite is Apple Crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,416 times
Default Ok since we can't get the pumpkin whoopie pie recipie...how about

Pumpkin Cookies

(again veryyyyyyyyy healthy (hehehe) very good and moist cookies!)

Oven 350

1. 2 c sugar
2. 2 c shortening
3. 1 can pumpkin (or use your own) 16 oz.
4. 2 eggs (beaten)
5. 2 tsp vanilla
6. 4 c flour
7. 2 tsp baking powder
8. 1 tsp baking soda
9. 1 tsp salt (I don't put this in myself)
10. 2 tsp cinnamon
11. 1/2 tsp allspice

Cream together sugar and shortening (1&2). Dump in pumpkin and mix. add in beaten eggs, mix. Add in vanilla, mix. Add in rest of ingredients and mix.

Drop on to cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes in 350 oven. Makes several dozen cookies - yummmmmmy! and they don't taste sweet like some cookies.

Enjoy!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,952,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Here is one of my classics- and I'll stick to something at least relatively healthy...Malaysian mango chicken! Yum...

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 Breasts)
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
3 green onions
2 mangoes
2/3 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons soya sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
4 teaspoons curry paste
4 teaspoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
1/4 cup cashews

Stuntman! Wow, I tried out your recipe and it was too good! Actually I did change it only a tiny bit, Instead of 4 teaspoons of curry paste, I did 2 teaspoons and also 2 teaspoons of hot red pepper chili paste. I also used the rice vinegar as well. It really was fantastic!! I am thinking of trying it with bread crumbs next! Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire