U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 AM

599 posts, read 1,585,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'd say NH kids are like anywhere else, but I'd say they do tend to be more active than the kids I saw when I lived in Ohio. Sports/music/theater/whatever. Bullying does happen, like anywhere, though in a smaller community it cuts both ways - easier to monitor/intervene, but harder to avoid a problem if it persists.

The advantage of being in a small school is that even if you're not particularly good at something, you're likely to have a decent shot of being on a team/club if you want to.

You can see it on a map, but Bedford is immediately adjacent to the SW end of Manch. Commute time would be pretty dependent on where you lived in Bedford, and where you were going in Manch. Amherst, and just beyond that Milford, would be the next towns to the SW.

Bow is to the North (suburb of Concord 15ish min away on I-93), and Hollis further south. Occurs to me my analysis was a bit flawed yesterday, as the thing that makes Bow/Hollis less desirable to you isn't likely to be raw population, but rather density. Both are around 100 ppl/mi^2. Newmarket (a bit too far east to consider), has the type of downtown you describe, despite being around the same size as Bow/Hollis. The reason being density - people in those towns really like their space.

Newmarket is a more compact 600/mi^2, which is more on par with Concord/Exeter/Milford. Derry is 900.

Since I don't know where you live in the Portland metro, I don't necessarily have the perfect comp at hand, but for example Beaverton is 4800/mi^2, Portland city is 4400, Camas 1400.

Here in Oregon and our experience in California in regards to bullying is that a blind eye is turned. I know back in PA there would be heavy parental involvement and correction. Out west it is different at least for us. Our daughter now is struggling due to all this bullying. Alot of kids aren't heavily involved in things like back east which has an impact.

Thanks for the town information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,578,217 times
One of the nice things about living in southern NH is that it is just an hour to Boston - Red Sox, museums, the North End, events... yet, skiing is 1/2 an hour away, the mountains are nearby and it is 45 minutes to the beach... It is a great place to raise a family. We have three daughters who all went through the Amherst school system, K - 12. Bullying would be thought of as un-cool by most of the kids and not tolerated by the school system.

You'll probably be surprised by how much more house you can get in NH than in the LA or SF areas in CA... Check out the online listings for houses in Hollis, Amherst, and Bedford... realtor.com is a good site...

Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 AM

It will be nice to live close to Boston. How far is Amherst and Hollis from Manchester? I was looking at homes and the prices are good and am wondering why are a lot of homes on the market for so long? I'm use to seeing homes go in hours and a few days and way over asking price. I need some realtor suggestions. I use Redfin a lot.

The hard part will be choosing where to live and start as we really don't want to move around a lot.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,379,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
It will be nice to live close to Boston. How far is Amherst and Hollis from Manchester? I was looking at homes and the prices are good and am wondering why are a lot of homes on the market for so long? I'm use to seeing homes go in hours and a few days and way over asking price. I need some realtor suggestions. I use Redfin a lot.

The hard part will be choosing where to live and start as we really don't want to move around a lot.

Both Amherst & Hollis are about 30 minutes +/- to Manchester, depending on whether one uses the Everett Turnpike (try to avoid during commute times), or Route 101. Traffic lights and businesses in the business district will slow you down, and there can be backups approaching the intersection of 101/114, but overall it's not a bad ride at all.

It's hard to compare the real estate market here to what's happenging out west! I have 2 relo clients coming in from California--both houses sold within just HOURS on the market (one never officially made it to the market, but had a pre-listing offer). A seller-client here in NH is relocating back to Colorado, and the market there is incredibly competitive as well. New construction is booming, and any new homes being listed are usually under agreement almost immediately.

Here in NH, the market is much more seasonal, but it's been an incredibly busy February and March. Single family homes priced under 300k (generally capes, splits, etc) are going under agreement very quickly, with full or over asking prices, and we are seeing many of the higher-priced homes (larger contemporary or colonial homes, with upgrades and in the half-million+ range) are closing as cash transactions. Last year there wasn't nearly enough homes on the market to supply the demand, and that pent-up buyer demand has homes getting serious offers very early in the season. The unofficial 'start' to the spring market is early April, and as busy as things are now, I'm wondering what's going to happen as things start to green up...

Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 PM

2,439 posts, read 1,972,495 times
^^ Generally, you don't see a lot of listings in the Winter around here. I've noticed a sudden uptick though. The mild Winter and all the recent nice and warm weather has got people motivated to start listing. A TH in my neighborhood that is the exact layout as mine sold in one day last week. Things are picking up.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 PM

73 posts, read 112,225 times
Hopkinton's school districts are consistently ranked in the state's top 5. Hopkinton is about 30 minutes from Manchester and roughly 10 from Concord (the state capitol). Downtown Hopkinton is quaint and tiny, but Contoocook is a village within Hopkinton with the kind of downtown you seem to be looking for. It has some great cafes, a library, boutique shopping, a grocery store, and a few casual restaurants. It's quaint and walkable. Definitely check it out.

You might also like Amherst, which also has a cute downtown (not sure about cafes, shops, etc.) and good schools.

Bedford, Windham and Bow are also known for having great schools, but neither has much of a downtown to speak of. Bedford has a lot of big box shopping along Route 3, though, and Bow is convenient to Concord.

Unfortunately, property taxes in all these communities tend to be high. Bow probably has the highest taxes thanks to an unfortunate combination of significant residential development in the 1990s and the town's refusal to extend power down what could've been a decent commercial strip (Route 3A). Bedford's are probably the lowest thanks to its wise decision to pursue extensive commercial development during its own development boom in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. Hopkinton's taxes are weird; the rate is on the high end for NH but some of the assessments are ridiculously low (whereas others are ridiculously high) and there's no rhyme or reason to the town's assessment methods so far as I can tell, so you might end up getting a really nice house for a fairly low price and a very low tax bill to boot. Or else you might buy a house that the assessor decided to punish with an insanely high assessment and pay some of the highest taxes in New England.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM

I read Hopkinton's high school was number one in the state. Thank you for all these suggestions. It really helps us narrow things down. My husband has his interview in 2 weeks and won't be there but overnight. I am wondering if he will even have time to look around. What would be some points of interest to look at?

Property taxes seem high but I don't find them crazy expensive. I read a new whole foods is coming to Bedford. What are the supermarkets in the area?

Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM

4,447 posts, read 5,002,090 times
Post The Bedford Whole Foods opens April 8. I hope it doesn't hurt the other markets nearby

Quote:
I need some realtor suggestions. I use Redfin a lot. The hard part will be choosing where to live and start as we really don't want to move around a lot.
I bought my place in NH when I was living in the Midwest and would fly out for the weekend to look at houses.

For a realtor I recommend finding an Exclusive Buyer's Agent. See NAEBA for details on what this means to a buyer. Any realtor can get you a login to a MLS search tool that gives a little more info than the non-logged-in website, plus the site emails you when properties matching your criteria and towns come on the market. I just found a random real estate website in NH and signed up with a made-up name and email address just to get my login created.

Quote:
I read Hopkinton's high school was number one in the state. Thank you for all these suggestions. It really helps us narrow things down. My husband has his interview in 2 weeks and won't be there but overnight. I am wondering if he will even have time to look around. What would be some points of interest to look at?
Plenty to see, given just a spring afternoon to look around, I'd take a walk in downtown Concord or Manchester.

Quote:
I read a new whole foods is coming to Bedford. What are the supermarkets in the area?
The only major NH supermarket chain not found nearby is Shaw's.

There are currently many grocery stores in that neighborhood, including "Fresh Market" (very whole-foods-like) about a block north, a Hannaford moving in across from that, then if you head over towards 101/114 there's Market Basket, a wine-centric state liquor store, and much more south on Route 101, including butcher shops.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-18-2016 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: NAEBA

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Thank you for the realtor information. How did you find looking for a home and how do you like NH compared to the Midwest?

We love fresh market and whole foods. I don't know Shaw's. I know Wegmans being from Pa. My husband is in Nh for only 48 hours so don't think he will have much time. I hope all goes well.

I feel really grateful for all the advice and information.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 PM

4,447 posts, read 5,002,090 times
Default I think yankees aren't as instantly acquaintance-friendly as flatlanders

Quote:
Hopkinton's taxes are weird; the rate is on the high end for NH but some of the assessments are ridiculously low (whereas others are ridiculously high) and there's no rhyme or reason to the town's assessment methods so far as I can tell, so you might end up getting a really nice house for a fairly low price and a very low tax bill to boot. Or else you might buy a house that the assessor decided to punish with an insanely high assessment and pay some of the highest taxes in New England.
That's interesting. I suspect that if somebody wanted to put in the effort to dig deep into the assessing cards, a pattern exists -- perhaps there's some feature Hopkinton or CCAG values unusually highly?

Quote:
how do you like NH compared to the Midwest?
NH isn't that different from the Midwest, summers are less oppressively humid in my part of NH than Chicago or Madison, but winter seems a little longer and more intense. People in NH aren't as instantly acquaintance-friendly as in the Midwest, but it's a vast improvement over the fake-friendliness you find in Los Angeles. And unlike the Chicago area, nobody here asks what church you go to or freaks out if you aren't a Democrat.

Quote:
Thank you for the realtor information. How did you find looking for a home
Looking for a house remotely is a lot of work; definitely need a good local agent, somebody who understands your criteria and can help eliminate houses (entire neighborhoods) that don't fit your needs, and can efficiently schedule multiple showings in a single day trip.

I also made extensive use of tax maps and the Bing maps "Birds Eye view" to get a feel for how a house and the associated land fit into the woods, as I didn't want a home right up against a busy road. I also checked the online police blotter when available.

I visited a dozen properties before making an offer, and a half dozen more before making a purchase.

Quote:
We love fresh market and whole foods. I don't know Shaw's. I know Wegmans being from Pa.
Shaw's has the same parent company as Albertson's and Jewel-Osco. They generally operate larger supermarkets, though not as huge as the new Wegman's stores going up in Massachusetts.

Wegman's is great, and is expanding into the region, has yet to officially announce any NH locations. Hannaford and Market Basket mostly run mid-sized stores (newer stores are much bigger), and we have some grocery-carrying Walmart and Target stores. Along with the 2 new Whole Foods stores in the area, Aldi just opened a story in Derry, and there's rumors of additional Trader Joe's locations.

While most states in the region has no sales tax on groceries, New Hampshire's anti-sales-tax stance means we have plenty of shopping malls and outlet stores catering to our friends from Taxachusetts. Even with no local tax in stores, I still shop a lot online -- there are distribution warehouses just south of the border so shipping is fast, and now Amazon delivers on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire