U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate myself and 14 y/o son to Berlin. I heard the RE prices are reasonable and possibly the economy will get better with the construction and new jail. I see some older posts about this but is the prison construction under way?
Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,503,922 times
Yes. there is already a state prison there now and the federal prison is just breaking ground. Should be done in 2010. I was born and lived in Berlin for 18 years and my family is still there. I was the only one who moved away here in FL and i'm heading back this summer because i miss the family. You can buy a nice home for a reasonable amount of money but be careful on the taxes. They are very high. My sister pays over $4000 on her home that's valued at $150,000. As far as the economy up there, it really needs something and i don't think just opening another jail is going to do much for it. Most of the jobs will be already taken by transfers from other areas. Like i said, i'm 34 years old now and with keeping in touch with my family, it hasn't changed since i lived there and in fact is worse especially since all the papermills that employed hundreds of people shut down. As far as the schools in Berlin, they were great when i attended them and i believe still are doing well. I have 6 nieces and nephews in school up there now and things are going good. It's a close knit town but very welcoming to others. Now if you like doing things outdoors all year round and just enjoy being outside and able to just go for a joy ride without all the traffic and headaches, then i think you'll like the area. What kind of work would you be looking for?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times
Default Berlin real estate/ jobs?

Thanks for your information. Not sure what I would do for work, possibly start a small sub shop or something like that. May invest in rental property??

Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLooking View Post
Thanks for your information. Not sure what I would do for work, possibly start a small sub shop or something like that. May invest in rental property??
There's a huge problem with rental property up there. There are many many apartment complexes for sale but most of them are in bad condition, run down and there are no regulations for the landlords to keep up with the care and some of the places people live in are terrible. The city is currently considering putting in some kind of regulations because once the placed get in such bad shape, most of the owners just abandon the place leaving the city to demolish it at the cities expense. I'd say if your thinking of a rental property, purchase one, fix it up really nice, keep up the maintenance and find some good renters and you would probably do alright but i don't know if it will be enough for you to live on unless of course you live in one of the apartments yourself.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM

24 posts, read 50,732 times
daniellefort,

You are so helpful with your information! Glad you are here.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBnurse View Post
daniellefort,

You are so helpful with your information! Glad you are here.
Thanks. glad i can help. I enjoy sharing my information on Northern NH with anyone who is considering moving there whether it be the good or the bad. I know alot of people from as far north as Colebrook, Errol, Milan and Berlin so i've covered alot of ground in my years of living there.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM

33,629 posts, read 28,890,140 times
You should be aware that prisons tend to attract the families of the prisoners. This is not always a good thing.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 50,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW3 View Post
You should be aware that prisons tend to attract the families of the prisoners. This is not always a good thing.
Being a potential prison transfer family, I can understand your concern about this, but this is not necessarily the case with the Federal Prison system. Yes, it happens with state prisons, but not so much with Federal.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,247,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
There's a huge problem with rental property up there. There are many many apartment complexes for sale but most of them are in bad condition, run down and there are no regulations for the landlords to keep up with the care and some of the places people live in are terrible. The city is currently considering putting in some kind of regulations because once the placed get in such bad shape, most of the owners just abandon the place leaving the city to demolish it at the cities expense. I'd say if your thinking of a rental property, purchase one, fix it up really nice, keep up the maintenance and find some good renters and you would probably do alright but i don't know if it will be enough for you to live on unless of course you live in one of the apartments yourself.

isn't Berlin where there were a lot of arson fires last year and two or three apartment buildings would burn down all at once?

I remember something about it on the news. I never get up to that part of the state - haven't been there in 25 years. The last time was for a wedding.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
isn't Berlin where there were a lot of arson fires last year and two or three apartment buildings would burn down all at once?

I remember something about it on the news. I never get up to that part of the state - haven't been there in 25 years. The last time was for a wedding.
Yeah. they never caught the guy. Most of the fires were the abandoned apartment buildings in town. I think the last fire had a young family living in it though. I remember years ago when i was growing up we had an arson in town then too and turned out to be the city's own fireman setting them himself just to be called out for duty. No doubt the town needs to clean up all these run down abandoned apartments but fires are not the way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire