Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 25,824 times

Advertisements

If we can't move out of state, we're seriously considering moving to Concord. Right now we live outside Hanover and the job market is terrible here, despite expecting everyone to "drink the koolaid" and think this is the land of bliss.

Dartmouth (cough cough) seems to have its icy fingers controlling everything from wages to housing according to many people I speak with.

According to my local friends, "they like a cheap labor pool."

However, it also appears Concord has few jobs. Can someone explain to me how you actually get a job in this state that isn't at a store or a fast food restaurant? I suppose it is the usual--you have to know someone, you need to join things and "connect" to people willing to kick you up the ladder out of minimum wage heck..

Do you have to be a "scientist" or "doctor?"

Someone explain if you would be so kind. After all my years here I just don't understand the way this area works. (Part of the reason we want to move is the lack of jobs in the NH area).

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,016,529 times
The longtime NH residents that I know doing well financially but are not being white collar workers, are those in the trades... a former owner of my house owned a well digging company.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Well, there are good reasons why the highest population density regions of the state are closer to the Mass border (more commuters and white collar jobs nearby). As miu mentioned, being in the trades, skilled blue collar with experience is a good trait. Rural areas of the state have tended to lose younger people and families as the amount of new job growth is much less. The Lakes Region in particular has many seasonal type of jobs, lots of retirees with 2nd homes, tourism based economy, and many self-employed people. Look for potential gaps for businesses that might not exist where demand for services might exist.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:11 PM
miu

How old are the two of you? And what job skills do you have?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to come off as complaining--it's more just frustration. If you look at the info about this area, the UV is getting worse and worse--every day it seems someone is getting arrested for serious drugs crimes. In such a small population, it is worrying, because the next step will be more violent crimes. I've seen it before where I used to live in larger cities/states.

My husband works in logistics. I'd rather not elaborate but he has years of that sort of experience. No degree but a solid resume.

I've been out of work due to family concerns (raising children) but I have quite a bit of business experience though this was a while ago. I'd be returning to work part time as my child graduates this year. He would also be working and hopefully getting some part time college courses in.

The problem seems to be not only the lack of jobs but we are both over 50 and age discrimination--though not bad in an older state like NH--seems to keep him from getting calls from other areas.

What I have noticed is there is a lot of "blackballing" here if you do try to find another job. "Billy Jo Bob knows Mr. Honeywell who runs the business you try to interview at and he makes sure he tattles to your boss, Mr. Jones. Then Mr. Jones asks you if you went to XYZ company and demands to know if you are looking for another job. Then the whole company you work for is passing rumors about you being unhappy."

It's all very unprofessional. Also most jobs now "refuse" to give references so they don't get sued.

So, like I said, we need a bigger area. I'm kind of tired of running into Mary who knows Martha who knows me....(you are one person away from someone knowing you and it's not to your advantage because you are not from here.)

Thanks again for listening to this rant. Small town living is not for me anymore.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM
miu

There is age discrimination everywhere. Although, what can help is if you give yourself a makeover appearance-wise. Dress and style yourself younger. I colour my grey hair, wear no makeup, my hair is only tied back in a pony tail and I move very quickly. I keep up with the guys in their 20's without a problem. So even though I am 57 years old, the people at work think that I am much younger (sometimes as young as in my 30's!). I also work smarter, so actually, I make a better worker than my younger co-workers. So wherever you apply, during the interview process, don't talk too much about your son being in college as that will make you seem older to them. Research the company and present yourself in a way that you expect to be hired by them. And of course, don't complain about the job market to them. Think positive thoughts, not negative ones.

Anyway, finding decent paying work is a challenge anywhere you go. Sure, there is more work in the cities, but the cost of living is higher. It's just the nature of competition and an open market.

For extra money, you could try getting a part time job on the side like being a brand ambassador at Costco. Or starting a side business. One woman I know has a side house cleaning business in addition to having a regular job. Most of her clients are older and just want a once a week vacuum and kitchen cleanup.

So the other aspect of getting decent pay in NH is owning your own (small) business. You can't expect an employer to pay you a living wage, he's too busy paying his own bills. You need to take charge of your own life. If you are the boss, then you can pay yourself "boss wages".

Also, look into signing up at a temp agency. And many of their clients will hire their temps permanently if they really like the workers. I think there is a trend towards trying out an employee first before any permanent job offer. That way they avoid having to fire someone and deal with unemployment claims.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Thank you. I appreciate what you're saying. Maybe these things will work in a bigger city because up here it's as dead as a dodo unless you have very niche skills or want to work as a waitress. I've tried that but I am not cut out for that sort of work.

I do appear younger (good genes) and so does my husband. I just think it's time for a change. If we can't move to another state with less snow and ice then we will move down south and he said he will try to commute for a while until he gets another job. Maybe it would be better with a local address.

I do have some skills I can use for part time work (teaching/tutoring).

Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,536,313 times
The upper valley actually has some of the lowest unemployment in NH & VT but I totally hear you on the lack of choice, Dartmouth-totality, and the inter-communication between businesses that can make job searches so frustrating.

Nothing wrong with looking towards Concord to see what is available. While it may be bigger I'm not sure you'll find things that drastically different. You are trying to re-enter the job force after many years away, over age 50, and that is one of the hardest things to do right now, in any area.

Keep searching but be wary of the "grass is greener" trap, I hope you find something that is perfect for you!

Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM

161 posts, read 166,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayitbe2016 View Post
If we can't move out of state, we're seriously considering moving to Concord. Right now we live outside Hanover and the job market is terrible here, despite expecting everyone to "drink the koolaid" and think this is the land of bliss.

Dartmouth (cough cough) seems to have its icy fingers controlling everything from wages to housing according to many people I speak with.

According to my local friends, "they like a cheap labor pool."

However, it also appears Concord has few jobs. Can someone explain to me how you actually get a job in this state that isn't at a store or a fast food restaurant? I suppose it is the usual--you have to know someone, you need to join things and "connect" to people willing to kick you up the ladder out of minimum wage heck..

Do you have to be a "scientist" or "doctor?"

Someone explain if you would be so kind. After all my years here I just don't understand the way this area works. (Part of the reason we want to move is the lack of jobs in the NH area).

Thanks.

I feel you. I also don't like the small town mentality, everyone you run into knows at least one person who knows you, etc. Dartmouth College is actually the largest employer in the state. Overall, it's a good thing, and of course they like cheap labor. The trades make good money, but what if you aren't interested in that type of career, and are also, not white collar? You are left with few options. I am familiar with Concord, and I can tell you that there's a healthy job market for professionals. They have a great economy, but I am not sure if that "great economy" extends much past white collar jobs. It's great if you are a lawyer or a doctor, but if you don't have any college degrees in specific high demand fields, it's probably not much better than anywhere else. Probably better than the upper valley, though. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 7,357,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayitbe2016 View Post

Maybe these things will work in a bigger city...

Bigger city? What bigger city? Concord? Concord has a population of 43,000 people. It may be the third largest community in New Hampshire but it's far from being a big city.

The job opportunities and anonymity you desire will require looking at a significantly larger metropolitan area. From Greater Nashua south in to Greater Boston will have more job opportunities with higher wages, however, the cost of housing is higher as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire