Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 30,504 times

Advertisements

Question: Are there any desirable vacation rental areas within 45 minutes of Manchester?

More Details: I travel to Manchester quite often for work and will be for the foreseeable future. I hate spending money on sublets & hotels (and the unhealthy lifestyle that that breeds- eating out- watching TV etc). I have batted around the idea of buying a small house or cottage - but that equation makes a whole lot more sense if I can rent it out for a couple weeks a year. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for a hidden York Beach or Portsmouth that will easily book solid-I know that doesn't exist- but a place that may attract mild attention for potential sporadic rental income.

I know this is an odd request for an unique situation- but thank you for your time in reviewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Mt. Sunapee & Lake Winnipesaukee are out of range, so for popular larger-scale tourist areas that just leaves the seacoast. Proximity to one of the minor ski mountains or even just good views for "leaf peeper season" might net you a few weekend rentals, but not longer term bookings.

One way to identify lesser-known areas that do well as seasonal rentals might be to look online (AirBnB,VRBO, etc) for vacation rentals just outside of Manchester, see what places book up as summer approaches.

You could also look for places on/near smaller attractions, e.g. Pawtuckaway Lake or a "great pond".

Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Any property that includes access to water (sometimes even a view, with beach rights) will be easily rentable. Definitely check VRBO. We've been renting a waterfront home for a week or two for the past several years, along with extended family members, and it's so relaxing... Not everybody wants an overcrowded lake like Winnipesaukee... I actually prefer Pawtuckaway or Winnisquam because I enjoy paddling and exploring the many islands and shorlines that both offer You will have to be concerned about Property Management, including cleaning between guests, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 AM

114 posts, read 123,799 times
One thing you can also consider is near colleges or universities. Weeks like graduation, homecoming, parents, move in, and any big sport events, the areas tend to fill up and you can rent the property for supplemental income.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Mt. Sunapee & Lake Winnipesaukee are out of range, so for popular larger-scale tourist areas that just leaves the seacoast.
"Barely" out of range. The eastern shore of Lake Sunapee is 50 minutes. You can get to the closest part of Winnipesaukee beyond the Laconia airport in 50 minutes.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
"Barely" out of range. The eastern shore of Lake Sunapee is 50 minutes. You can get to the closest part of Winnipesaukee beyond the Laconia airport in 50 minutes.
My thoughts exactly. worth the extra five minute drive if you can handle the premium cost of buying in one of those areas.

plus like Val said. Any of the smaller lakes or rivers in between could be rent-able for a lot cheaper. Hell i am renting a small cabin on winnisquam this fall and I only live 35 minutes from there.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:59 PM

219 posts, read 366,656 times
Pawtuckaway was mentioned a few times, it is the best option for what you are looking for.

In full disclosure I live adjacent to Pawtuckaway State Park but not on the water. I use the park at least 100 days per year, mostly hiking but also swimming.

Drive time to Manchester is under 30 mins on a highway that sees little congestion. The taxes in Nottingham tend to be reasonable. The lake is clean and beautiful plus the proximity to population centers expands the rental pool. There is a public boat launch on the north end of the lake, also they significantly draw down the lake in the winter, the result is that the swimming areas stay sandy. The park is used extensively for hiking, mountain biking and bouldering. I would never have believed the size of the bouldering community before we moved to town, few weeks ago I was talking to a group of professors from Quebec City that drove down and rented a house for the week just to climb boulders. Keep in mind they had to drive through the white mountains to get to Pawtuckaway.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 30,504 times
Thank you all very much for your time and information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire