Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM

540 posts, read 588,848 times

Advertisements

Like 90% of homes we see online have single vanity/sink in the master bath and kitchens seem to be built so small with minimal counter space. What is the deal? Builders take note..
Rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Newer or older homes? Older that haven't been updated would expect this.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
All new homes I looked at had double sinks in the bathroom. I can understand older homes having one sink, but I did not see a new home with a single sink. I also have plenty of counter space in my kitchen. What price point are you looking at?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM

540 posts, read 588,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
All new homes I looked at had double sinks in the bathroom. I can understand older homes having one sink, but I did not see a new home with a single sink. I also have plenty of counter space in my kitchen. What price point are you looking at?
Even most new construction. Looking around 250-300K range.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:16 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
I've had double vanities in both of my homes here.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post

That's not much of a budget, consequently, no upgrades like a double vanity.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You can certainly find new construction in that price range, but unless you're looking north of Concord or west of Milford, I doubt you'll have much for upgrades like a double bowl sink. I'm on a New Construction Team, and sell new construction in southern NH (and also in Newbury & Newburyport, Mass) and I can tell you that a double bowl sink in the FULL BATH is even more popular than a double-bowl in the master. Seems that Mr. & Mrs. (or Mr & Mr, or Mrs & Mrs) don't want to brush teeth at the same time... but it's a GREAT thing for families with 2 or more kids that are getting ready for school in the morning and trying to use one bath with a single-bowl sink... Builders aren't going to spend the extra $$ on a double bowl sink for a spec home. Choose your lot, choose your home style, add the upgrades that YOU want, not what you think that the builder should add in 'just because'...

Quote:

Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Like 90% of homes we see online have single vanity/sink in the master bath and kitchens seem to be built so small with minimal counter space. What is the deal? Builders take note..
Rant over
You probably are not from around here.
There is history and tradition.

New Hampshire is an old state. Early homes did not have indoor plumbing. I know people that grew up here and had an outhouse for WC. No, not some modern off the grid types. Ordinary folks.
So with remodeling and a well/septic came one bathroom. And happy to have that.

Fast forward.
New homes constructed after WWII would have 2 bathrooms.
And many new homes were constructed this way.

New Hampshire has never had tract homes or large housing developments (with few exceptions). Most homes are constructed one at a time. Some are custom built to owners specifications while others are spec homes. In spec homes the contractor wants to maximize profit and lower building costs. The custom built home will be built to customers specifications.

Very few spec built homes will have double sinks unless high end homes.
Custom built homes are at the whim of the owner of land. Those homes may or may not have a double sink. Customers choice.

One would think that all homes constructed would have double sinks. They don't.

The same holds true for structured wiring in new homes. Cat5e/Cat6 wiring and RG6 wiring seem to be an afterthought in many new homes other then high end homes. That's why you will see a new home with a satellite dish on roof and a wire going down the side of house on the exterior with a hole drilled into house siding - this should have been built in but it is not. It's an afterthought. Added after home was built.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
What is wrong with one vanity in the bathroom? I can only use one toilet, sink or shower at a time.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:29 PM

385 posts, read 345,294 times
Heh, it made me chuckle to think how horrified the OP would be to see the bathroom in a house listed that I would buy in a heartbeat if I was moving right now.

I wouldn't think a bathroom vanity would be a deal breaker in house hunting. There are so many more important things that are hard enough to get lined up for one house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire