Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times

Advertisements

We are having local elections this September. There is your chance to "throw the bastards out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 03:15 AM

572 posts, read 1,314,844 times
My State Rep is on the committee for roads and bridges and pointed out that a good chunk of the money collected from the gas tax goes directly to the NH State Police instead of actually being used for road and bridge work.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,222,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
You people are far more trusting than I. A bit naive TBH.

This has nothing to do with fixing roads. If it did they could simply slap a 10 cent tax on fuel that is to be designated only for road repair.

This is about control, period. Republicans and democrats are both power hungry beyond anything our nation has ever seen. They create these studies, these problems to justify their power and existence. The more complex they make it, the better. That way you little people can't hold them accountable.

IMO, whomever proposed this should be removed from office.
Exactly. In Wyoming we have fairly crappy roads. But they are not the worse ive seen either. They had a 10 cent gas tax increase a few years ago. All the people involved with it swore it was to repair roads. They always hope that people are too dumb to actually read the bill. Well in the bill it gave the county supervisors the power to do what they wanted to do with the bulk of the money. So all they did was for the most part give county employees a raise. The tax made gas cheaper in neighboring states so most people driving thru or people living on the border bought their gas out of state. Now with the oil crash and the lack of instate gas buying due to the loss of oil field work, they are screaming they want to do another tax.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:19 AM

89 posts, read 134,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
...IMO, whomever proposed this should be removed from office.

Propose a tax, lose your job. I like it.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,534,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"The federal gas tax of 18.4 cents per gallon has not been raised since 1993, and many states have not indexed their own gas taxes to inflation, so those key funding sources have fallen far behind the nation’s needs."

Well you can thank the Tea Party, right wingnuts, and others for not having the basket balls to raise the gas tax.

The federal gas tax has not been raised since 1993. NH went from $0.18 in 1991 to 22.2 cents in 2014. What idiot in Concord came up with the .2 after the 22 cents? Iowa and Idaho for example the state tax is 32 cents.

So we have crumbling roads and bridges. And no politician wants to put their name on any tax.

So now, waste a whole bunch of tax money for a "study". Brilliant.
mmm..and since you so willingly want to blame one party...what exactly happened to all that shovel ready money ..ouch, I know truth hurts huh?

Heres a clue your gas tax doesn't go towards roads ( you know like your toll fees don't either) so..where does the money go..governmental waste..like the majority of tax money. The problem isn't the current tax rate not being raised, the problem as always is government accountability

Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,641,792 times
Lightbulb I-93 open-road tolling all the way to the border.

With our minimal adoption of EV and plug-in hybrids, there is no legitimate reason for New Hampshire to "take the lead" on this. Conserve our tax dollars, let wealthier states with high EV adoption do the experiment. Then we can learn from their mistakes and adopt a mature solution that doesn't infringe on privacy.

As much as I hate to endorse toll roads, NH needs to end the standoff with Massachusetts and implement open-road tolling for the entire length of I-93. Charge a token amount (25¢?) in the manual lanes for high-occupancy vehicles, to encourage carpooling and keep tolls from deterring vacationers. Better yet, work with MA DOR to extend the commuter tax deduction to include our tolls (is this already in place?)

Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM

9,828 posts, read 7,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
With our minimal adoption of EV and plug-in hybrids, there is no legitimate reason for New Hampshire to "take the lead" on this. Conserve our tax dollars, let wealthier states with high EV adoption do the experiment. Then we can learn from their mistakes and adopt a mature solution that doesn't infringe on privacy.
Believe it or not, NH is in the top 10 penetration on HEV registrations in the US - even ahead of MA

Fact #875: June 1, 2015 Hybrid Electric Vehicle Penetration by State, 2014 | Department of Energy

Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,641,792 times
Lightbulb No need to rush into putting GPS trackers on NH cars, just tax the electricity

Funny how the same groups who are fine with putting tracking devices into everyone's cars balk at adding a tariff for electricity used for charging EVs.

Last year, plug-in & PHEV made up 0.6 percent of all U.S. light-duty vehicle sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Quote:
With our minimal adoption of EV and plug-in hybrids, there is no legitimate reason for New Hampshire to "take the lead" on this.
Believe it or not, NH is in the top 10 penetration on HEV registrations in the US - even ahead of MAFact #875: June 1, 2015 Hybrid Electric Vehicle Penetration by State, 2014 | Department of Energy
That's why I phrased my statement the way I did -- we are not in the top 10 for plug-in electric, the whole state has maybe a thousand registered all-electric vehicles?

In term of total gas-tax-evading vehicles on the road (not per capita), we are nowhere near a level where finding an alternate way to tax drivers by distance is a critical issue for New Hampshire. If we're really concerned about "road tax" evasion, then requiring EV chargers to be metered separately and charge road tax on the electric bill would make more sense than GPS trackers.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
One time I worked with a contractor that avoided all roads where he was likely to be stopped and have his fuel checked. He always used untaxed heating fuel that is dyed red so it can be easily detected. Maybe we need more inspection stations for commercial vehicles. IMHO all electric vehicles do so little wear to the roads that a special tracking system is unwarranted. I would also like to see the State Police funded from the General Fund and not from highway taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire