Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times

Advertisements

I can find no state where instituting income and/or sales tax resulted in a long-term reduction in property taxes?

Vermont has a steep "progressive" income tax, a sales tax, and also one of the highest property tax rates in the country. PA has a simple income and sales tax, but these extra taxes don't seem to have reduced PA property taxes.

Our best example of what happens with "replacement" taxes is Vermont, where they gave up the sales tax fight back in 1969. With several hikes, they now have a 6% sales tax, as much as 8.95% income tax, and Vermont property taxes have crept up to rival New Hampshire's. Vermont is consistently in the top ten states for total tax burden. Meanwhile, the new taxes shifted revenue and power from towns to Montpelier.

The same thing can happen to New Hampshire, if we let it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I wish that NH would legalize marijuana and use the resulting tax revenues to fund the schools and maintain our roads.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Post NH will need to wait until Gov. Maggie "I don't support the decriminalization of marijuana" Hassan(D) is out of office

The first NE state to go full Colorado will reap the big bucks... for a little while.

Once a populous state like Massachusetts or Connecticut legalizes, they'll reap the majority of tax revenue (unless they make huge mistakes in setting their retail rules and tax rates). So NH might get a year or two of windfall by being an early adopter, then the bulk of "pot tourism" and sales will happen in more populous NE states.
[quote=PressHerald]If Vermont legalized before any other state in the Northeast, “marijuana tourism and illicit exports could be substantial and could, in theory, put Vermont’s annual tax revenues in the hundreds of millions,” the report said. “Indeed, because legal marijuana can flow across borders in either direction, Vermont’s prospects of deriving considerable tax revenue even from its own residents would become much less promising if one of its immediate neighbors were to legalize with low taxes,” the report said.p/quote]So just like booze, there's money to be made by keeping sin taxes low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I wish that NH would legalize marijuana and use the resulting tax revenues to fund the schools and maintain our roads.
If Andrew Hemingway had won the Republican primary, the laws would likely have changed by now. Instead, NH will need to wait until Gov. Maggie "I don't support the decriminalization of marijuana" Hassan(D) is out of office before we see anything like HB 1610 make it into law.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We already tax alcohol sales through the State store system so why not add selling pot to the system. I do not use either any more so I could care less.

One of the reason I proposed an income tax with a 90th percentile deductible is there is no way in hell, except winning the lottery at witch point I will not care, I will ever get to the 90th percentile income level. Why not tax the rich? After all they do have most of the money.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We already tax alcohol sales through the State store system so why not add selling pot to the system. I do not use either any more so I could care less.

One of the reason I proposed an income tax with a 90th percentile deductible is there is no way in hell, except winning the lottery at witch point I will not care, I will ever get to the 90th percentile income level. Why not tax the rich? After all they do have most of the money.
Sure, that makes sense.. why not have a higher tax rater for those that make a dollar more an hr then someone else too. I mean that makes sense too right?

Funny thing is I keep hearing lets tax the rich more, but nowhere do I hear lets make government more accountable on how they spend the taxpayers money

Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM

382 posts, read 397,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

What an attitude..........bring on any new tax as long as it doesn't impact me.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
how about shrinking govt. and making teachers pay for their retirement like most everyone else... we have one of the worst educational systems on the planet yet we pay much more per pupil.

limit real estate taxes to 1% of property value and then make up any shortfall with a tax that impacts everyone - not just property owners.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:22 AM

382 posts, read 397,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
limit real estate taxes to 1% of property value and then make up any shortfall with a tax that impacts everyone - not just property owners.
Be careful what you ask for. The problem with that is once the state gets into your pocket with a new tax it's easy for the politicians to continuously and slowly raise the rates with time. I've lived it in CT, where they initiated a low income tax with the promise of lowering the sales and property taxes. Fast forward to today and you'll see CT has property taxes as high (even higher in some towns) then NH, which not only includes the house and land (no current use breaks here), but also includes autos/farm equipment/trailers/boats/RV's and this applies even if the vehicle is not registered to drive on the road. Then add about 6% of income for an average couple (includes all forms of income including savings, pensions & SS), plus 6.35% on sales and 6.35% on services (add that to a home repair cost, major appliance or vehicle) and as an extra kicker, fuel cost are 20-30 cents/gal higher and you'll soon realize that NH is a real deal if you wish to live in the northeast.

I find it interesting that so many in NH complain about "outsiders'" moving into the state and try to change things, yet the same people what to change (for the worst) the tax structure. Believe it or not, some of us are moving there because we like it just the way it is.

Last edited by sailor_lou; 07-16-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 AM

Default We don't need new taxes, we need less spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That'd be great, if I had any faith at all that the state would stick to a promise to limit real estate taxes to 1% of property value. Vermont made similar promises back in 1969, look how well that worked out for Vermonters.

What we need is to come up with ways to get people from out of state to visit our state, spend money, and then go home. If that means promoting marijuana tourism and selling THC vape fluid at the state liquor stores, then so be it.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:21 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
Quote:
What we need is to come up with ways to get people from out of state to visit our state, spend money, and then go home. If that means promoting marijuana tourism and selling THC vape fluid at the state liquor stores, then so be it.
and lower school spending... by which i mean more $$ to kids and less to retirement benefits for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire