Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM

557 posts, read 605,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We just get 2 soaking days of rain last weekend?

I for one hope it stays hot and dry. The rain and cold always comes.. let's enjoy the nice weather while it's here.
And southern NH is still in a drought. You must not have a lawn/yard/garden to care for. Plus it is hard on the local farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:

I for one hope it stays hot and dry. The rain and cold always comes.. let's enjoy the nice weather while it's here.
It wasn't nearly enough.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
It wasn't nearly enough.
As I mentioned, the entire weather pattern will have to change in order for the drought to end, meaning slow moving storms that drop a substantial amount of rain over several days. This hasn't happened much this year at all in many southern areas of the state. The other issue was the very low snow totals from this past winter which dried out soils much faster. This upcoming winter looks substantially colder with more snow based on what I'm looking at currently.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 AM

571 posts, read 1,317,625 times
One thing is that we have not had a good thunderstorm here in Nashua. Only light rain off and on which doesn't even wet the ground under tree cover. Many of us have given up on our lawns as a lost cause.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
And southern NH is still in a drought. You must not have a lawn/yard/garden to care for. Plus it is hard on the local farmers.
actually have a huge yard, gardens and vegetables to care for. the grass i have given up on. its burnt and the crap grass is starting to take over, oh well. the vegetables I have been water diligently and the flowers have seen better days. I have contemplated putting in an irrigation system but it still seems like a big expense with not much return.

Ill still take the dry sunny weather.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,482 times
Quote:
Ill still take the dry sunny weather.
It's all fun and games until the water table drops and your well runs dry. Not likely depending on how deep your well is vs the top of the water table and how many of your neighbors are still watering their grass, but it can happen.

I'll take a few inches of soaking rain, even on a weekend, for the greater good....

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,180,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The drought monitor indicates moderate drought is now widespread in the southern 1/3 of NH. The northern areas have received quite a bit more rain over the past few months that have missed the southern areas. This is a "feedback loop," as fronts with precipitation is evaporating before reaching the ground. It will have to be a widespread pattern change to break the drought as I see it right now.
A large portion of southern New Hampshire has been in "severe drought" for the last two weeks, with the most current report (through last Tuesday) showing that most of Rockingham, about 2/3 of Hillsborough, 1/2 of Strafford and a small part of Cheshire counties are affected. I've been watching the drought monitor for at least the last couple of years (I check it every Thursday when that week's report is published) and I've never seen any part of the state in severe drought before that I recall. The weather report for the next week shows continued high temps, with possible scattered thunderstorms predicted for today and next Sunday, but no real rain predicted.

It's time to start doing some rain dances.

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor

Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
No one has mentioned the farmers crop failures.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
A large portion of southern New Hampshire has been in "severe drought" for the last two weeks, with the most current report (through last Tuesday) showing that most of Rockingham, about 2/3 of Hillsborough, 1/2 of Strafford and a small part of Cheshire counties are affected. I've been watching the drought monitor for at least the last couple of years (I check it every Thursday when that week's report is published) and I've never seen any part of the state in severe drought before that I recall. The weather report for the next week shows continued high temps, with possible scattered thunderstorms predicted for today and next Sunday, but no real rain predicted.

It's time to start doing some rain dances.

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor
interesting site. I went back to this time last year when they said we were in a drought and that seems to be around the time it started. I guess were still playing catch-up from the lack of snow this past winter.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
Lucky you to have gotten 2 soaking days of rain the weekend before last (the 9th and 10th). My Londonderry neighborhood had clouds both days, and a few sprinkles on both Saturday and Sunday that was barely enough to wet the pavement, never mind the parched lawns that are like straw at this point. The raised-bed gardens get 20 minutes of water very early every morning, as we are on a shallow well, and are careful to conserve every gallon--dishwasher is FULL before we run it, and cars aren't getting washed every week. I was hoping for slow-moving rains this afternoon, but it looks more like fast moving thunderstorms that will come in with high winds, and a few minutes of pounding rain

I love the summertime, but this hot and dry pattern tough..

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire