Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:51 PM

46 posts, read 68,949 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my name is Sheena. I have 3 children ages 9, 6 and 1 year. My husband is an Entertainer and has a BA in music performance. He is currently a tour guide and drives a monster truck here in FL at a citrus farm, and wants to continue that career in NH when we move. He was formally a Gator Wrestler at Gatorland. I am a Veterinary Assistant, and Teachers assistant, however when we move I'd like to be able to stay at home with the kids if possible.

We are looking for a place that is on the outskirts of town. I am a born and raised Florida girl who has never even seen snow. My husband is from New Jersey and wants me to experience the change of seasons. In Florida the only season we have is summer all year around!

What has attracted us to NH is being that it's a liberal state! We love the Live and Let Live motto as we try to live that way ourselves however in Orlando it's very difficult to do most days!

For our kids, we want them to grow up with culture, with good education, and have a community to support them. Keira my 9 year old has a passion for wildlife and loves Sea Turtles and ocean life. Her goal is to help save the sea creatures. Sasha my 6 year old has a strong passion for art and wants to be an artist when she grows up. They are young, so I know goals will change but I want to support and nurture their goals now so when they are older, they can focus on what they love!

As far as my husband and I, we have been married for 10 years, and have been wanting to move out of FL since we first got married. I like to call FL quick sand, because once you are here, you can never leave. You never make enough money to save enough to go anywhere.

My goal is to meet other mom's who can support my want to be, and eat healthier. I am not allowed to have a garden, or chickens where we live now. I would be fined a ridiculous amount of money if I were to do so.
I want a strong group of friends who I can trust to babysit my children, as well as me theirs, and basically find a place where I would be proud to call my home!

I know NH is the right place for us, but now where do I go? What towns? What job? Where do I find housing? Schools? All the tid bits that I am not thinking of! HELP!

Thanks and sorry for the long story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:36 PM

125 posts, read 149,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryLady View Post

What has attracted us to NH is being that it's a liberal state! We love the Live and Let Live motto as we try to live that way ourselves however in Orlando it's very difficult to do most days!

There are many problems with these statements.

First off, NO, New Hampshire is not a liberal state. To give you some perspective I'm from Colorado which in most ways is far more liberal than NH.

Second, live and let live and liberalism is an oxy moron. There is nothing live and let live about being liberal. It is about controlling other people which is the opposite of that motto. If you truly want live and let live, come to NH. Part of that is you minding your own damn business if I choose to own firearms, hunt, worship God, etc. Most liberals are not ok with this philosophy. Are you?

If not I think you will be far more comfortable with our neighbor to the south, Massachusetts, where they subscribe very strongly to live and let live as long as you live how I tell you. For example they will gladly imprison you for possesing fireworks. Perhaps that is more your cup of tea.

Last edited by mrplow3; 07-23-2016 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
NH is not what it once was, but you are sadly misinformed if you think it's a liberal state. BTW the state motto is: "Live Free Or Die". As for the info you are looking for: tell us what your housing budget is, what part of the state you are interested in & what education you want, or expect for your children.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Let me start over! I guess I was unclear on what Liberal meant exactly. I want to move to NH because I love the freedom and Live free or die motto. Thank you for that correction. I had the right idea just not the right terms lol! FL education here! LOL!

Old 07-23-2016, 02:39 PM

Maybe I will start this post over so I don't look so dumb! HAHA

Old 07-23-2016, 02:43 PM

557 posts, read 605,932 times
NH is a very libertarian state, not a liberal state. They are very different things.

Liberal: You can do anything you want unless I don't like it or I'm offended, or I think someone else might be offended.

Libertarian: You can do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt me.

Anyway, does your husband want to still work as an entertainer? Not sure what the job market is like for that, but since NH has a lot of tourism, he'll probably find something. Most of the tourist areas are near Lake Winnipesaukee, and out near the seacoast. The problem with the seacoast is that it is expensive to live. The Concord area might be good for you, its an hour to the coast, an hour or so to the lake region, you can find a house that will let you have chickens and a garden with no issue, and there is a good amount of culture in the area. I live in Pembroke, its close enough to Concord that its easy to get there for events, but rural enough for chickens/gardens/goats, and it also has some of the best schools in the state. The downside is that the property taxes are a little high.

Hopefully this helps.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe I will start this post over so I don't look so dumb! HAHA
You're not dumb Just focus on several things that are most important to your family. It helps to know how much you can spend on housing, where in the state you want to live, and what jobs you want. Your hubby's job does not sound like it can be found in NH, can it ? Your job, for sure, is more common.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
NH is a very libertarian state, not a liberal state. They are very different things.

Liberal: You can do anything you want unless I don't like it or I'm offended, or I think someone else might be offended.

Libertarian: You can do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt me.

Anyway, does your husband want to still work as an entertainer? Not sure what the job market is like for that, but since NH has a lot of tourism, he'll probably find something. Most of the tourist areas are near Lake Winnipesaukee, and out near the seacoast. The problem with the seacoast is that it is expensive to live. The Concord area might be good for you, its an hour to the coast, an hour or so to the lake region, you can find a house that will let you have chickens and a garden with no issue, and there is a good amount of culture in the area. I live in Pembroke, its close enough to Concord that its easy to get there for events, but rural enough for chickens/gardens/goats, and it also has some of the best schools in the state. The downside is that the property taxes are a little high.

Hopefully this helps.
Yes this is what I meant to say. Libertarian.... Thank you!

Old 07-23-2016, 02:56 PM

As far as work, yes my husband would like to continue to be a tour guide of some sort. It's really what's he's best at. If he can find a well paying job, I would like to be home with the kids, being we will not have any family when we move!

We will be starting from nothing, so it will be a rough road but worth it in the end!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
As far as work, yes my husband would like to continue to be a tour guide of some sort. It's really what's he's best at. If he can find a well paying job, I would like to be home with the kids, being we will not have any family when we move!

We will be starting from nothing, so it will be a rough road but worth it in the end!
Ok....I would suggest you keep working, at least for a while since you guys don't have much capital. I honestly can't tell you where in NH your husband would find work with that skill-set. You can find decent work. You have the right idea about looking at trailer homes, to start. You can get something used in the 30k area, most likely north of Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire