Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

It's gonna start getting expensive for you non hands free addicts.

Police: Grace period ending for NH hands-free driving violators | NH1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Whenever I need to drive hands free I use my left knee on the wheel to steer the car. Does this mean I will have to stop? How will I be able to drive with a McMuffin in one hand and a coffee in the other? That will add too my commute time and I cannot do that.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Can you not rest your mcmuffin on the top of the steering column? Or better yet, tie it to a string secured to the headliner, that would qualify as hands free

Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
How did we do it back in the old days, driving a stick shift, holding a coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other? No, there were no cup holders at that time (unless you count the plastic ones that you inserted just inside the driver's side window. We really need to drive with our knees But also had to be careful with the vent window (remember the triangular vent windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Can you not rest your mcmuffin on the top of the steering column? Or better yet, tie it to a string secured to the headliner, that would qualify as hands free

Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
I think the percentage of people driving with a coffee and McMuffin back in the old days is significantly smaller than the percentage of people currently driving with a cell phone, which is far more demanding of attention than a donut.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
in the good old days we had such sluggish steering, recirculating ball, and it had lots of play. Might take a quarter turn before the wheels moved. And remember, power steering was in the future.

So back then, the steering had to be set up by the mfgr to be insensitive, and track straight ahead. So heck, as long as you were pointed in the right direction, shifting with coffee was easy. Besides, a good shifter could do the shift very fast, at least with a floor shifter. Column manual shift, different story.

Oh for those days of big steering wheels, for leverage, and a real workout with parallel parking!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
in the good old days we had such sluggish steering, recirculating ball, and it had lots of play. Might take a quarter turn before the wheels moved. And remember, power steering was in the future.

So back then, the steering had to be set up by the mfgr to be insensitive, and track straight ahead. So heck, as long as you were pointed in the right direction, shifting with coffee was easy. Besides, a good shifter could do the shift very fast, at least with a floor shifter. Column manual shift, different story.

Oh for those days of big steering wheels, for leverage, and a real workout with parallel parking!
Lol, power steering was truly a great invention. I remember my mom using her whole body turning that wheel around when I was a little kid sitting next to her in the front seat. It was not easy.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Ok folk, we went through a pretend period, now we are gonna look for that revenue. The problem was always texting, instead of getting off their asses they made a blanket policy, not for public safety but for the most financial gain

Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Financial gain? Try robocams. Washington DC is full of stoplight cams, speed cams, even stopsign cams. Have been hit by all of them. The tickets are expensive, and double if you don't pay within 30 days. To make matters worse, DC is slow sending bills out, so your first notice is usually a double fine bill that you are forced to appeal.

So allow me to disagree that the NH policy is about money, and is not about safety. Yes, the law could be better, and things could be a lot worse.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IN the last couple of weeks I have been placed in a difficult driving situation because someone else was doing something distracting with their, presumably, electronic gadget. This form of distracted driving is a serious problem and greater enforcement may make the roads safer for all of us including the distracted drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: