Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:55 PM

12 posts, read 9,983 times

Advertisements

Is there a site that provides insight to a town's tax rate? I frequently see that the tax burden varies from town to town, just trying to figure out how to research the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 PM

540 posts, read 584,738 times
It may not be the most current, but I like this one:

New Hampshire 2015 Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes

Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 AM

375 posts, read 391,537 times
The referenced tax table is a good starting point, but the next variable is how the individual towns assess the value of each home/property. Therefore, in order to get a true idea of what property taxes you will pay, find the towns you are interested in and then look up the various properties for sale in each town. Typically the listings will identify the property taxes so you can compare similar homes between towns. Good luck.

Lou

Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 AM

114 posts, read 122,916 times
Dross has provided the tax rate but another thing you can do is go to your town website and find out more information from there. Whenever I need to find out information regarding taxes I usually will just google the town and the word "tax assessor" and I will be taken to the right page for up to date information 99% of the time.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM

27 posts, read 23,700 times
Most of the towns in southern NH in Hillsborough/Rockingham County have fairly similar property tax rates. Derry is an exception, their tax rate is extremely high. And as mentioned above, towns can play games with the assessed values so the tax rate is not the only factor.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 AM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,607,192 times
http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...-tax-rates.htm

Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 AM

858 posts, read 1,797,207 times
Agree with PPs. Tax rate is not the only factor. The best way is to look for similar properties in different towns and check the actual taxes they are paying. Most of the time they are in the MLS, but be careful because sometimes the taxes are not from the current year. It would usually say if they're not, putting the year between parentheses. Towns have differences in assessments too. When I was looking, Town 1 considered skylights as improvement and were a separate add on in the assessment, when Town 2 do not, but they do tax the fireplaces which Town 1 do not.

In short, evaluate each property and their taxes individually. Sometimes even assessments are not "right". There's a property that was sold in my town around the time we bought (2014). It sold for more, but the assessed value is way lower (~100k) than ours and of course they pay less taxes. Our house assessed value went up just from the assessor checking the MLS even though we haven't done anything to the house and the previous owners did their work (finished basement) with permits in 2006. So there was no reason for the assessed value to go up 20K. But the other house still has the old assessed value, even though it was sold for more than ours and the MLS noted that the basement was finished and there was a new fireplace. Why? Don't ask me, I'd love to know.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,899,168 times
I haven't seen anyone mention Equalization Rates, and this, in my opinion, is an important factor in determining your property tax. A house located in a town with an Equalization Rate of 100 will tax at full assessed value, while a house in a town with an Equalization Rate of 80 will be taxed at 80% of the assessed value. I live in Londonderry, where the 2015 property tax rate is $21.02 per thousand, with an equalization ratio of 98.9%. So my taxes are calculated on nearly 99% of my assessed value.

Compare that to Hooksett, where the 2015 property tax rate is $24.72 per thousand, with an equalization rate of 83.9%, so the property tax will be calculated on only 84% of the assessed value.

Do the math for your town (or towns that you may be considering), because looking at the tax rate alone can be deceiving...

Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM

540 posts, read 584,738 times
Thanks for the excellent info Valerie. I usually look at that map to get a rough idea of regions where tax rates may be high or low. Equalization rate is a factor that I've never though of.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusDoucet View Post
Dross has provided the tax rate but another thing you can do is go to your town website and find out more information from there. Whenever I need to find out information regarding taxes I usually will just google the town and the word "tax assessor" and I will be taken to the right page for up to date information 99% of the time.
I agree.

I prefer to look at the actual tax bills for a specific property, using the online tool (covers many NH towns). It can also be interesting to look at the town's tax rate history; is it on a steep upwards trend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire