Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 13,098 times

Advertisements

Hi there!!

My husband and I are originally from NJ (I grew up in Hudson County, right on the NYC skyline), and presently live outside Atlanta (prior to this, we were in the Raleigh-Durham metro of NC). After having had our fill of "the South", we're exploring relocating to NH for a number of reasons (proximity to family and clients in the Northeast, tax benefits, like-minded folks, better quality education and healthcare, access to "outdoorsy" activities, escaping the dreaded Atlanta traffic, and having real seasons again all being among them). After having done what feels like endless pros and cons lists and apples to apples comparisons between this and other states, NH wins every time, and we're planning a trip up to visit some potential properties.

On that note, one of the additional big draws for us is that we have always dreamed of owning a historic property - whether an old stone home, or a quirky conversion like a church or mill building made living space, there appears to be quite a few to choose from. Unfortunately, the properties we're eyeing are literally over the map. I was hoping I could pick everyone's brains for insight on a few spots. The towns in question are:

- Freedom
- Holderness
- Franklin
- Tilton
- Hillsboro
- Newfields

What I'm looking for are general impressions on demographics, lifestyle/ things to do (or lack thereof), etc.

More about us, that might help inform the direction of the conversation: We are both in our mid-late 30's, and working on starting a family. My husband owns his own business, and we'll both be working from home, occasionally traveling to see clients (mostly concentrated in NY and PA, but a few across the country in a variety of spots). That said, commuting to a particular city on a daily basis for work isn't a concern, but perhaps accessibility to Amtrak is something we'd like to keep in mind. He is a triathlete, I love to cook, and we both enjoy outdoorsy activities. We'd love to be a part of a community where we could get involved.

Thanks so much for anything you can share, and let me know if I can give any more input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 07:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Railroad tracks?
In New Hampshire?

The state of New Hampshire gave all of the railroad tracks to the skimobile clubs a long time ago.
They are all dug up now and gone.

Best to rethink your transportation needs if you wish to come to New Hampshire.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Railroad tracks?
In New Hampshire?

The state of New Hampshire gave all of the railroad tracks to the skimobile clubs a long time ago.
They are all dug up now and gone.

Best to rethink your transportation needs if you wish to come to New Hampshire.
So, you're saying that the Amtrak that is supposed to run down to Boston/ NYC is non-existent? That's really all we'd be interested in that for (or, alternately, driving to Boston and taking the train from there).

Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Amtrak runs from Maine across the very southeastern corner of NH, and there's another line up Vermont adjacent to part of the NH border. The rest of NH has no commuter rail, although that's been under discussion for a while now. Driving into Boston during morning commute to get to rail service is not enjoyable.

What is your expectation for finding "like-minded folk"?

Regarding the communities you mentioned...Franklin is a run-down old mill town without much going for it, and Tilton is another run-down old mill town that's improved its tax base with big box and outlet stores. I personally wouldn't choose either of them.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:48 AM

114 posts, read 123,764 times
I agree with KCZ. Of the towns you mentioned, Holderness sticks out as the top contender. It is on Squam Lake which is beautiful but provides a good deal of the outdoor activities that you are looking for by relocating up this way.

NH has a good deal of old homes that are beautiful and well maintained. Conversion properties are not as common as an old home, but you will find them as well. You mentioned an old mill conversion as well. These are very cool spaces but you will typically only find these as condominiums.

Good luck with the search! I would recommend coming up this way and exploring the towns and maybe adding a few more to the list just to be sure!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Holderness is your best bet.Lots of older homes and farm properties.Nice mix of people but a little on the progressive side.
Close to I-93....2 hours from Boston but also in the foothills of the mountains.Absolutely stunning lakes,rivers and mountains.Less than 2 hours to the sea coast.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:35 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrookes View Post
So, you're saying that the Amtrak that is supposed to run down to Boston/ NYC is non-existent? That's really all we'd be interested in that for (or, alternately, driving to Boston and taking the train from there).

Amtrak has a train to Boston North Station that stops in Dover, Durham and Exeter. You then need to get to Boston South Station to continue on to other points south or west.

Train Stations

Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
It's been apparent to me for some time that most folks on this forum are not familiar with the Monadnock region - the SW quadrant of New Hampshire. Hillsboro is at its northeastern edge. Peterborough is roughly the center of the region, both geographically and socially, although Keene is the business hub.

The area is roughly 90 minutes from Boston outside rush hour. Logan airport is 2 hours DURING morning rush hour. There are multiple routes into the Boston area, depending on traffic and location.

Amtrak is in Brattleboro, direct line down the Connecticut river valley to NYC.

When we were house hunting earlier in the year, we saw several historic houses. The area has quite a few historic properties.

Unlike some of the towns in your list, we're not slammed with summer traffic around here. It's never heavy.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Amtrak runs from Maine across the very southeastern corner of NH, and there's another line up Vermont adjacent to part of the NH border. The rest of NH has no commuter rail, although that's been under discussion for a while now. Driving into Boston during morning commute to get to rail service is not enjoyable.

What is your expectation for finding "like-minded folk"?

Regarding the communities you mentioned...Franklin is a run-down old mill town without much going for it, and Tilton is another run-down old mill town that's improved its tax base with big box and outlet stores. I personally wouldn't choose either of them.
Thanks, KCZ - that's what I thought. The trip would really only happen once a month or so, therefore navigating one of the two lines you describe would be fine... better, at least, than contending with the hordes here out of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport!

In terms of "like-minded folk", I mean "live and let live" types. Educated. Open-minded (read: not completely culturally and racially insensitive, which is some of what you run into once you get more than 15 miles outside the Atlanta city limits). Politically, we tend to lean Libertarian, but enjoy getting to know people of all stripes - at the end of the day, we're all people. I know this is more important to me than it is to the hubs, but I'd like to be involved in my new home community and be surrounded by people who also care. (Reading back through that, I realize how hokey that may sound, but I'll run that risk!)

And thanks for the heads up on Franklin and Tilton - as someone who prefers to shop local where possible, Tilton doesn't sound like it would much be a fit at ALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusDoucet View Post
NH has a good deal of old homes that are beautiful and well maintained. Conversion properties are not as common as an old home, but you will find them as well. You mentioned an old mill conversion as well. These are very cool spaces but you will typically only find these as condominiums.
That's great to know! The towns I mentioned were selected purely because we found properties there that were intriguing - truth be told, the two top contenders in terms of the properties themselves (and this is before setting foot in either) are the ones in Holderness (SO glad to hear everybody's recommending that town) and Freedom (which I know is way further north, along the Maine border).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The area is roughly 90 minutes from Boston outside rush hour. Logan airport is 2 hours DURING morning rush hour. There are multiple routes into the Boston area, depending on traffic and location.

Amtrak is in Brattleboro, direct line down the Connecticut river valley to NYC.

When we were house hunting earlier in the year, we saw several historic houses. The area has quite a few historic properties.

Unlike some of the towns in your list, we're not slammed with summer traffic around here. It's never heavy.
Thanks so much for this insight - I'm grateful that there seem to be people on here like you all with very specific areas of knowledge and personal experience who are willing to share!!

Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Nobody has mentioned Freedom or Newfields - anybody have insight on either of those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire