Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,917,070 times

Advertisements

Move to Hebron, New Hampshire.
They pay little to no property tax because of the windmills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,353,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Move to Hebron, New Hampshire.
They pay little to no property tax because of the windmills.
It is in Groton, NH:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groton_Wind_Power_Project

However, Hebron, NH has a lower tax rate than Groton due to high valuation properties on Newfound Reservior. Both are low tax towns, though.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,026 times
I think our property taxes are comparable to the town we left in MA, although unfortunately they went up with a town wide reassessment right after we moved in. My understanding is that wouldn't happen for another 5 yrs. But overall I'd say are costs to live here are less. Our heat and utilities are much lower cost and there's no sales tax.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:27 PM

12,136 posts, read 9,204,759 times
Default Yes, it's that bad

NH has a lot of things going for it. But real estate taxes aren't one of them. It can vary a lot from town to town, but in Southern NH, most towns are from $20-$25 per thousand of home value, which has to be among the highest in the country.

This site is great, has real estate tax mapped to the towns:
New Hampshire Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes

Old 11-05-2016, 05:35 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,353,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
NH has a lot of things going for it. But real estate taxes aren't one of them. It can vary a lot from town to town, but in Southern NH, most towns are from $20-$25 per thousand of home value, which has to be among the highest in the country.

This site is great, has real estate tax mapped to the towns:
New Hampshire Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes
This PDF lists the new rates for 2016, and will be updated as other towns are added in as rates are finalized for the remainder of the year.
http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...inal-rates.pdf

Old 11-05-2016, 06:50 PM

12,136 posts, read 9,204,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This PDF lists the new rates for 2016, and will be updated as other towns are added in as rates are finalized for the remainder of the year.
http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...inal-rates.pdf
Fantastic, thanks for the latest and greatest figures - I can use them too!

Old 11-06-2016, 12:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,835,304 times
I lived in MA before moving to NH in '96 and it is much less expensive live here than in MA. Take my house and put it in a comparable town (ex. Wesford MA, Sudbury MA) and would cost a lot more. The valuation would also be much higher, so even though those towns have lower tax rates, the actual dollars paid would be higher. Sudbury's tax rate is $15.19/thousand and I pay $$25.10/thousand. A friend of mine in Sudbury pays $16,000/year in real estate taxes and his house is similar to mine....

Utilities do cost more as does car registration. Car insurance is much less. It may have gotten better in recent years, but our car insurance went down 50% when we moved here. Same cars and same drivers. When my kids were teenagers, the cost went up but nowhere near as bad as in MA where my relatives live. I was paying $1700/year and my brother in law was at close to $5,000

Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,604,799 times
I find the per capita state spending to be interesting:

State and Local General Expenditures, Per Capita | Tax Policy Center

If a state is spending money, it's getting it from somewhere. There are a couple of outliers in the table on the website - e.g. Alaska's per capita spending is very high, paid for by taxes on oil so residents aren't actually paying that much. But overall I think it gives a pretty good indication of state level taxes / fees. New Hampshire's spending is below the national average.

Of course, how you personally are affected depends on your individual circumstances. E.g., some states tax income more heavily than property, others tax property more heavily than income.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:36 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,072,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I lived in MA before moving to NH in '96 and it is much less expensive live here than in MA. Take my house and put it in a comparable town (ex. Wesford MA, Sudbury MA) and would cost a lot more. The valuation would also be much higher, so even though those towns have lower tax rates, the actual dollars paid would be higher. Sudbury's tax rate is $15.19/thousand and I pay $$25.10/thousand. A friend of mine in Sudbury pays $16,000/year in real estate taxes and his house is similar to mine....

Utilities do cost more as does car registration. Car insurance is much less. It may have gotten better in recent years, but our car insurance went down 50% when we moved here. Same cars and same drivers. When my kids were teenagers, the cost went up but nowhere near as bad as in MA where my relatives live. I was paying $1700/year and my brother in law was at close to $5,000
Yes but... jobs in NH pay less than in MA and will less contributions towards health insurance. So I still have to work in the Boston area. And this is why Southern NH is so desirable to live in and most residents there work down in Boston... with the rush hour traffic congestion getting worse all of the time.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,632,922 times
Telecommuting is the way to go, even if only part-time. Working remote also makes it easier to live outside the ultra-desirable "commutable distance to Boston" parts of Southern New Hampshire while still earning a Boston wage.

Working for a Massachusetts employer (assuming your employer reports your days worked correctly) you only pay MA income tax for the days you actually spend on-site. Or nothing if you can swing a 100% remote position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire