U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:13 AM

842 posts, read 718,396 times

Advertisements

Maybe Plymouth? It's a college town, you may view that as a plus or a minus.

Good luck, Merry Christmas, and let us know what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 07:14 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,035,380 times
Being progressives,you might like Hanover or Portsmouth.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 8,027 times
Enjoy the fire works on New years eve. Dinner at the Wolfeboro Inn is a must do and definitely do the (MUG) challenge. Hope you enjoy your trip. Christmas at the Castle is definitely worth the trip. (Castle in the clouds) Moultonborough NH.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
248 posts, read 179,568 times
Enjoy your visit and keep us informed in what you find.

Lou

Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM

62 posts, read 41,416 times
Ok, first I want to say, I loved my visit and it wasn't long enough! We looked at all the towns around the lake. Gilford was the one that we liked the most out of those. Then, we ended up heading north to Conway, we loved it!! So now we are thinking possibly Conway or somewhere in between Wolfeboro and Conway. Your thoughts on Conway???

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

155 posts, read 228,491 times
Conway is nearly perfect if you enjoy outdoor activities but still need access to restaurants and shopping. Major downfalls are highway accessibility and the congestion on holiday weekends, especially in the summer. State has been slowly improving 16 and talking about a Conway bypass forever, not sure when/if it will happen. I would look towards Bartlett, low taxes due to all the vacation properties, less traffic due to being slightly north of conway but you still have access to outdoor activities and amenities in conway.

Littleton is another option, small downtown, good highway access, good access to outdoor activities and enough amenities to satisfy everyday needs. We plan to retire there someday in the very distant future.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 PM

18 posts, read 8,027 times
Look at Madison. It is a little off the beaten path but still close to everything.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchBuddy View Post
Ok, first I want to say, I loved my visit and it wasn't long enough! We looked at all the towns around the lake. Gilford was the one that we liked the most out of those. Then, we ended up heading north to Conway, we loved it!! So now we are thinking possibly Conway or somewhere in between Wolfeboro and Conway. Your thoughts on Conway???

That is pretty much why we picked Sandwich. Although the town is certainly not a hub of activity (which is something we were looking for), we are 15 -20 minutes into Wolfeboro, Center Harbor and Meredith and about 35 min into N. Conway, where we spend most of our time when we are up there. Taxes are reasonable and everyone we have met has been great. We have friends (more CT transplants) that are now retired in Madison and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your search.

Lou

Old 01-17-2017, 12:35 PM

62 posts, read 41,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
That is pretty much why we picked Sandwich. Although the town is certainly not a hub of activity (which is something we were looking for), we are 15 -20 minutes into Wolfeboro, Center Harbor and Meredith and about 35 min into N. Conway, where we spend most of our time when we are up there. Taxes are reasonable and everyone we have met has been great. We have friends (more CT transplants) that are now retired in Madison and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your search.

Lou

Lou,

Thanks for your response! I have a couple of questions for you. Do you stay up there year round? Have you been able to meet people easily?? What types of activities have you all found to become a part of? I am a very social person, but my husband is the type that could be live in the middle of 100 acres and never see anyone. So Madison could be an excellent compromise.

Thanks!
Tamara

Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Hi Tamara,

We are not up there full time yet, hopefully by the end of this year, but most likely spring of 2018. We have met many of our neighbors, which is interesting because we haven't even built our house yet and all the homes are pretty separated (avg. 6-20 acre lots). We do ski and go out quite a bit (restaurants and bars) and have met a lot of people that way, both locals and those on vacation. As pointed out, Conway/N. Conway is crazy with traffic in the summer, but you'll quickly learn when to travel and some back roads to minimize the crowds. We'll probably get snowmobiles once we are up there and that will most likely open up another world of people/places. Although we do like to go out, we also have many around the house interests. I can easily spend days/weeks in the garage "playing" with our RV or restoring/modifying my classic car and my wife is the same with cooking and gardening.

Based on what I've seen Madison appears to be a nice area and has both isolated homes and developments. Good luck with your search.

Lou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or