Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:08 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times

Advertisements

For an idea of the impact of same day registration, NH SoS reported that in 2012, there were 99,319 same-day voter registrations for the general election, nearly 14 percent of the 718,788 ballots cast. We won't have an official report for 2016 for at least another week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have studied the Voting system in New Hampshire and believe it would be impossible to falsely register or falsely vote in New Hampshire's elections. It has a set of internal cross checks and identification requirements that make false registration impossible. It also requires a picture ID to be presented before a voter is checked off the checklist and issued a ballot. The ballots are read by a simple machine not connected to any computer or network and stores the paper ballots for a recount if needed. After the votes are counted the checklist is entered into a State Database and checked of anomalies like double registration. This does happen but there are fewer then five per election.
While impersonation and intrastate double registration fraud are both bad they are relatively rare, the least common type of vote fraud in New Hampshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sununu (on Howie Carr show)
“We have same day voter registration, and to be honest, when Massachusetts elections are not very close, they’re busing them in all over the place,” the three-term executive councilor added. Sununu then brought up a specific example, saying “a Democratic state senator from Portsmouth four years ago who had over 20 people registered at her home address to vote. They pick an address and they do the same-day voter registration.”
“There’s no doubt there’s election fraud here,” Sununu added. “They have really gamed the system in their advantage.”
One of the first things I’m going to do is simply make it fair. I just believe in fairness. Everyone has to have a fair shot, not a rigged system pushing one demographic or another,”
"Martha's Motel" is the more common type of vote fraud, difficult to detect and difficult to prevent under our current domicile and same-day registration rules.

Many other states have 30 day residency requirements and no same-day registration. That would be a good starting point for New Hampshire reform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGOP Chair Jennifer Horn
Democrats continue to live in their own fantasy land, shielding themselves from serious concerns about the integrity of our system. Issues surrounding same-day voter registration in New Hampshire have raised questions about opportunities to commit voter fraud. Even New Hampshire’s Democratic Secretary of State, Bill Gardner, has expressed concerns, and New Hampshire voters deserve nothing short of honest and fair elections
This suggests the GOP is willing to push through changes, stricter domicile and perhaps elimination of same-day registration.
Quote:
The allowance for students to register to vote in New Hampshire if they are domiciled in NH for 9 months of the year is accompanied by the need for them to unregister at their previous place. I think this is reasonable because they are spending most if not all, when working in NH for the summers, of their time in this state. Just because much of their tuition may be from out of state should not make them nonresidents.
I agree -- NH needs to start participating in ERIC or Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck, to confirm voters registering here are unregistered at their previous domicile. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Anybody claiming NH domicile should be required to commit to New Hampshire -- change their state ID, insurance, car registration, etc. By tying into ERIC, the nation as a whole can crack down on students/parents who play residency games for tax purposes, for example, a student who claims residency in a different state than either parent may not be claimed as a dependent for IRS purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:48 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I can't worry about my state (NJ) as it's already a lost cause.

No need to be "bitter" in your response to me imo.
I'm not bitter. I just didn't see anyone asking for your out-of-state opinion.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If your state is a lost cause, why would we be even remotely interested in your opinion of ours?
I love NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I'm not bitter. I just didn't see anyone asking for your out-of-state opinion.

I need an invitation?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:48 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Continue acting like you physically can't post without adding insult to injury and the thread will be closed and you will enjoy a forced vacation from the forum.
Just sayin. Remember freedom without consequences is just anarchy. Do what you will, but don't be surprise by the result.
Yac.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:19 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Has NH's electoral votes not been won yet? What I see online, Clinton had less than a 3,000 vote lead but no source shows that she has officially won the state yet.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
AFAIK = New Hampshire has be declared a victory for Hillary Clinton. Not by much, but a victory nonetheless.

Also I believe a new registration requires, in addition to a picture ID, some written proof such as a driver's license, a paid rent or utility bill with the name and address of the registrant, or some other illustration that the voter does, indeed, live in New Hampshire.

I will check how this is done with a Supervisor of the Checklist (formal title for a registration official) for the details, or a reference to the details, for all of your information. I am married to one of those SOC's so it should not be too difficult.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
AFAIK = New Hampshire has be declared a victory for Hillary Clinton. Not by much, but a victory nonetheless.

Also I believe a new registration requires, in addition to a picture ID, some written proof such as a driver's license, a paid rent or utility bill with the name and address of the registrant, or some other illustration that the voter does, indeed, live in New Hampshire.

I will check how this is done with a Supervisor of the Checklist (formal title for a registration official) for the details, or a reference to the details, for all of your information. I am married to one of those SOC's so it should not be too difficult.
A college ID from a a New Hampshire college or university is acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: