U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM

18 posts, read 9,015 times

Advertisements

Windham/Londonderry town line off of Kendal Pond-South road. Great place to raise a family. Good schools plenty to do. A little bit pricey (and property taxes) but close to everything. You'll be in for a little shock, New Hampshire is nothing like North Carolina. But in a very good way. Val-C always has great information.
Wish you luck and Happy Holidays.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,934 times
Default Thank you Jon

That is exactly why I wanted to solicit opinions on this site. Mass is not an oil. Really. I own guns and have been told the gun laws are impossible in Mass. having someone such as yourself tell me about Nashua and sending over the article is very helpful. Thanks

Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM

17,971 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Well, I was going to add the MA border towns of Salisbury and Amesbury but if you want guns, we are not your kind of place. What's wrong with Seabrook NH or Hampton NH? Or any of the surrounding towns? For your price you probably aren't going to get into some gorgeous, elite NE town--of which there are quite a few.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Thank you Ricnh and in_newegland. I appreciate all the help and wish you all happy holidays as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM

702 posts, read 284,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If you're working in MA, you still have to pay MA income tax even if you live in NH.
That is true,you'll still have to pay MA state income tax (~ 5%) if you work in Woburn, and, you'll also have to pay NH real estate tax, which is often higher by $10 per thousand of house value - that's $4K additionally annually on a $400K house. Another cost to watch out for is that in MA, most homes have natural gas for heating fuel, and in NH, most homes don't - some of the cities like Manchester and Nashua in southern NH do have natural gas available though - just keep your eyes open.

Having said all that, for a roughly equivalent town in terms of safety and schools, you will get significantly more for your housebuying dollar in southern NH (or NC) than in MA. So you will probably have to adjust your expectations of what the old homestead will be if you buy in MA. If you want something closer by, you might want to look at towns like North Reading, Tewksbury and Wilmington in MA.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 AM

Thank you Outdoorlover

Old 12-15-2016, 05:57 PM

7,064 posts, read 10,808,136 times
Some Massachusetts towns are a lot friendlier than others when it comes to guns. You just have to do some research to determine which are which. There are various forums like Northeast shooters ( I think that's the name) and others that can provide you with information.

As you've found out, while housing prices are quite a bit less in New Hampshire, the RE tax is going to be a lot higher due to no income or sales tax in New Hampshire. You'll have to pick your poison.

My parents used to live in Londonderry. Most of their neighbors used to commute to jobs in Mass. usually the Woburn/Waltham area. It's straight down Rte. 93. Londonderry has decent schools but I have no idea what the real estate prices are now, though.

Good luck in your search. I know it's not the south - totally different.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilkkins1007 View Post
Thanks guys. Valerie, I am working with a realtor and chose those towns due to proximity and commute to my office. We drove through Londonderry, Derry, and a couple others but were either in the wrong areas or they were just not as clean as we'd hoped for. Derry is out because the taxes are higher. You are correct that we were expecting more communal neighborhoods as we are coming from North Carolina and are not accustomed to the no HOAs where it can cause some neighborhoods to appear dingy and trashy. I'm on this site hoping to get real answers that legally my agent cannot provide me. If a town is dirty or has hidden issues I'm hoping the candor here will guide us in the direction we are looking for. Nashua seems okay but I have read reviews that it's dirty and trashy and I can't always count on what I've read so really want honest opinions and experiences.

Thanks for the input
Good to know I'm not the only one moving from NC to NH. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,928,112 times
Talking WELCOME to CITY DATA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk28 View Post
Good to know I'm not the only one moving from NC to NH. Good luck!

Welcome to City Data!

Welcome to the New Hampshire forum!!

I agree with both of your posts!! North Carolina as nice as it is, it is NOT what it used to be... And you are

not the only one.

OP, please read CASEY B.'s post, she knows what she is talking about!

Thank you to CASEY B
for your input!!! And for your Moderating efforts!!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:11 PM

Good luck to you as well tjk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or