U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,234 times

Advertisements

Hooksett Residents,
Have you noticed that a lot more houses in the Hooksett Village neighborhood are continuing to be abandoned? The green house on West River Road is abandoned and I live near it, so I can see that the roof is caving in. I wish that these houses could be taken back to their original glory, but unfortunately they keep being mistreated.
Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM

3,935 posts, read 3,944,867 times
Unhappy I suspect most of these places are past saving

Unless they are historic buildings, probably better call in the Bid & Destroy guys instead of trying to fix it up. Once the envelope fails, they turn into rodent breeding grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_G_Ixv6Pm4

Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,557,647 times
Just curious, why are they being abandoned?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:30 PM
KCZ

2,728 posts, read 1,557,351 times
I can't answer about Hooksett, but there are a significant number of abandoned houses in my town. They are old, poorly maintained houses, formerly occupied by elderly residents who passed away either without heirs or whose heirs live out of the area and don't find it worth their while to return to clear out the house, repair it or sell it for a pittance. So the house sits there abandoned until the town takes it for unpaid taxes or it's condemned because it's either falling down or infested with rodents. Then the town pays to tear it down and either uses or sells the lot. The phenomenon seems to be based on demographic changes whereby younger people leave the area and their families and are not invested in returning here at all.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,557,647 times
Thanks for the explanation! Sorry to hear it's happening, though. I would have thought Hooksett was in a better position than that, being between Concord and Manchester, and with a good school system.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 AM

114 posts, read 97,508 times
Another common reason that lots of homes end up this way is the previous owners deferred the regular maintenance for so long that the home basically becomes unlivable and they have to leave. This is common with elders who and hoarders as well. By the time the foreclosure process starts the home is in such a terrible state that it is basically a tear down for the land value. It is a shame anywhere but historic houses are really so incredible that its sad to see them go down this path.

All deeds are made public with the Clerk. You can search by address on the Vision Government Solutions site

Vision Government Solutions

Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 AM

7,223 posts, read 7,353,035 times
Usually it is when factories (and jobs) leave the area and there is a net decline in population.

Hooksett is not that case.

In my small town there is a beautiful Victorian home. Left empty for decades. The heirs/siblings fought over it. Or divorce or something similar. Empty and degrading for years/decades.
Someone was paying the property taxes.

And then - the story goes - one of the heirs died.
Then it was sold. And completely remodeled.

Nice Victorian home now.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,145,586 times
I always wanted an old home with an attached barn. Unfortunately we were never able to afford one even if it was given to us. Just a paint job involving removing all the lead based paint would be too expensive. Heating one would be another great expense. No one need six bedrooms for the kids anymore or a place to keep the horse and a winter's worth of hay. These houses are just too expensive to maintain for a modern small household.

If I win the Lottery I have been looking at several during my summer rides. I would buy and restore one in a stone second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire