U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,791,712 times

Advertisements

Is it wrong for me to be alarmed that the town just informed us that the cost per student in the town for public schools is $17,900 per child? Another town in the District is paying around $8,000 per child, which I thought was too high. Roxbury is highest in our district at $19,000 per child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 AM
miu

15,462 posts, read 32,321,596 times
Yes. You should be very alarmed. I believe that Coe-Brown "only" charges our town $7,000 per student and they are ranked in the top 500 of US high schools.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,463,139 times
Question $17K as the median, or the mean?

Dig deeper into the numbers -- is the reported amount the median, or the mean?

In a small town, a few special education students can really skew the average amount per child.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 AM
miu

15,462 posts, read 32,321,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
In a small town, a few special education students can really skew the average amount per child.
Good point. I've heard that complaint from others. I wonder if the parents of special needs students realize how much others resent their added cost to their towns?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,651,039 times
Another big factor can be are the school building operating & maintenance costs included in the school budget? If they are, then the per pupil cost will be higher.

My town in MA likes to pride itself on how well our students do with such a low per pupil cost, as compared to other high performing MA towns. However, they moved the building costs out of the school budget several years ago so it's not always an apples to apples comparison.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM

4,111 posts, read 4,220,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Is it wrong for me to be alarmed that the town just informed us that the cost per student in the town for public schools is $17,900 per child? Another town in the District is paying around $8,000 per child, which I thought was too high. Roxbury is highest in our district at $19,000 per child.
Figures don't lie buy liars do figure.

Statistics can be taken from all over the place.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,791,712 times
The numbers are taken from the town's portion of the district's budget divided by the number of children in town actually attending one of the district's schools. You can shuffle numbers all you want. My town pays over $5,172,000 to the district, the state gives the town $662,000 and there are 250 children in the school system. It's pretty straight forward.

Not to mention the town literally sent a letter to its residents saying it costs the town $17,933 per child to go to school in our district.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 AM

842 posts, read 717,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Not to mention the town literally sent a letter to its residents saying it costs the town $17,933 per child to go to school in our district.
Wow, that's a lot. You might be interested in this, the University of Nebraska offers an online high school program (other colleges do, too):

University of Nebraska High School

I honestly think high schools are going to transition to online, because public school has just become so expensive.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,716,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Wow, that's a lot. You might be interested in this, the University of Nebraska offers an online high school program (other colleges do, too):

University of Nebraska High School

I honestly think high schools are going to transition to online, because public school has just become so expensive.
I work at an online university. It's not a fit for everyone, that's for sure. There are some that need to be in a classroom and some that can do online work. I would not wish for the entire system to be online. Not doing our kids any favors.

Although I agree that $17K is out of control. As others have said, a lot of it is directed from the state and feds through special education and well meaning but unfunded programs. Lots of para-professionals in the schools these days which seems to really add to the cost. Other towns have let their infrastructure deteriorate to the point where they have no choice but bulldoze and build new.

I wonder why it's $17K? Program offerings, teacher/admin pay above the norm, lavish infrastructure?

Education costs money, no doubt about it. But online is not the answer for many if not most high school students. Many on this forum think high schoolers graduate lacking a basic education (debatable). If you go online, it will be worse in many cases.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM

842 posts, read 717,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I work at an online university. It's not a fit for everyone, that's for sure. There are some that need to be in a classroom and some that can do online work. I would not wish for the entire system to be online. Not doing our kids any favors.

Although I agree that $17K is out of control. As others have said, a lot of it is directed from the state and feds through special education and well meaning but unfunded programs. Lots of para-professionals in the schools these days which seems to really add to the cost. Other towns have let their infrastructure deteriorate to the point where they have no choice but bulldoze and build new.

I wonder why it's $17K? Program offerings, teacher/admin pay above the norm, lavish infrastructure?

Education costs money, no doubt about it. But online is not the answer for many if not most high school students. Many on this forum think high schoolers graduate lacking a basic education (debatable). If you go online, it will be worse in many cases.
There's probably no one solution that's optimal for everyone.

But we need to find ways to increase the productivity of education. Right now it's a manually-intensive process, and people time is expensive. To make the situation better for everyone (students, teachers, and tax payers), we need to make it more efficient, which mostly comes down to more students / human teacher. If a less expensive alternative is effective for 80% of the kids, then let those kids use it and the other 20% can be educated in a separate manner.

I have experience through my kids with both physical and online schools. I agree it's easier for students to cheat / skip, etc. with an online school if they want to. But by the time they're in high school, they should be responsible enough not to do that, and the ones who do probably aren't that interested in school anyway. Their parents need to be proactive in ensuring they don't cheat their education, in any school setting. I'm blessed that my kids are responsible, honest people, it's never been an issue for us.

As far as providing a basic education, I have no complaints with the online school my kids use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or