Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:00 PM

193 posts, read 534,103 times

Advertisements

We live in Amherst and love it here, apart from the property taxes. It's rural enough but still convenient, which would be the case also with Merrimack, Bedford, Hollis, and other towns between Nashua and Manchester. For us, this was a balance between proximity to the ocean (a little farther than we'd like) and having a bigger lot (a little smaller than we'd like). Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 23,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
HOAs are common in the newest developments, I limited my search to houses built before 1990 and within a half hour of Manchester Airport. In that search, I only saw one house in a HOA.

Prior to 1990, you might find weird deed restrictions, but not a full-blown homeowners association with all the associated evils.
Awesome that will help in my search!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 23,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
We live in Amherst and love it here, apart from the property taxes. It's rural enough but still convenient, which would be the case also with Merrimack, Bedford, Hollis, and other towns between Nashua and Manchester. For us, this was a balance between proximity to the ocean (a little farther than we'd like) and having a bigger lot (a little smaller than we'd like). Good luck to you!
thanks for throwing out some names! I did pass by some of these areas and they were pretty nice! and thank you for the luck!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If I were looking for a place in NH without the need to commute to Boston I would look in the Lakes Region. Most property taxes are reasonable so long as it is not on a lake or in sight of a lake. Lakefront property is so highly valued it pays most of the taxes. As you are both in the medical field there should be plenty of opportunities in that area. Check it out.

Also recommend getting a copy of the DeLorme Road Atlas of NH and taking a couple of week vacation looking around. Renting for a year or two is also a good idea because it lets you really understand the area without being committed to a particular place.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Problem with the lakes region is the summer crowd. Gridlock. Need I say more?

Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
It's really only bad* Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. During the week it is tolerable.

*Bad is relative. The worst of NH gridlock and traffic is nothing compared to many big cites and urban areas in the U.S.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
There are plenty of rural areas in the Lakes Region with fewer people, but you still have to eventually travel on a more crowded state highway road, (particularly during summer and holidays), at the minimum.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:37 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I were looking for a place in NH without the need to commute to Boston I would look in the Lakes Region. Most property taxes are reasonable so long as it is not on a lake or in sight of a lake. Lakefront property is so highly valued it pays most of the taxes. As you are both in the medical field there should be plenty of opportunities in that area. Check it out.

Also recommend getting a copy of the DeLorme Road Atlas of NH and taking a couple of week vacation looking around. Renting for a year or two is also a good idea because it lets you really understand the area without being committed to a particular place.
This.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
The town of Meredith would fit your needs.Rural,friendly people,little crime,affordable housing,close to major medical .
Population around 5,000 but lots of summer tourists.
30 minutes to major ski slopes,1 hour to the seacoast and surrounded by beautiful clean lakes.
10 minutes to major shopping in Laconia and Gilford.
Taxes are reasonable.....remember NH has no income or sales tax so slightly higher RE taxes are more than offset

Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 AM

114 posts, read 123,764 times
Property taxes are going to be high here but like mentioned by others, you are able to get a nice sized home with acreage if you are mindful about where you end up and do not mind being in more of a small town. I would definitely try and steer clear of the Southern NH area with the Boston Commute. Although there are more hospitals in this area, the home prices tend to be a little higher.

Concord Hospital has seen growth in the previous years and the surrounding towns are both affordable and come with acreage. It is somewhat central to the Lakes region, seacoast, and a quick ride to Boston.

Best of luck in your relocation and if you need any advice I am always happy to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire