U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:02 AM

445 posts, read 291,534 times

Advertisements

Just a FYI there are also some towns in NH with no zoning and/or no building inspector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,272,420 times
^ Is this good or bad?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 AM

3,173 posts, read 2,742,027 times
Post Enforcing fire safety is common sense in a state that is +80% forest

Not good or bad, definitely something to be aware of. Best way to get a feel for this is to look at the town website; If they have zoning, check out recent minutes from Zoning Board meetings.

Some towns have no zoning, some have no inspector, many really only enforce things in the town center and are very lax once you get out into areas zoned rural/agricultural.

My town is big on enforcing the rules as they apply to fire safety, which is just common sense in a state that is +80% forest.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:27 PM

445 posts, read 291,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ Is this good or bad?
Good if you like to have control of your property. Bad if your neighbor is not a good steward of his property.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 AM

140 posts, read 107,157 times
I'm to see that people in NH are resistant to HOAs.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM

3,173 posts, read 2,742,027 times
Wink Live Free or Die (But don't dare paint your front door an unapproved color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I'm to see that people in NH are resistant to HOAs.
You do see HOAs applied to newer developments with small lots.

Aside from going against the LFOD philosophy, older developments tended to provide larger lots (New Hampshire's "Current Use" system for property tax encourages +11 acre lots); having lots of untouched woodlot between you and your nearest neighbor eliminates much of the driving force for a HOA.Live Fr

Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 AM
KCZ

1,548 posts, read 763,870 times
One association which is more common where I live is a "road owners association." These are formed for residents along roads where the town does not provide road maintenance, for example, a former farm that has been subdivided into home lots. The lots have covenants which make participation in the assoc mandatory, and everyone has to ante up money for plowing and road repairs. In my experience, this usually works out pretty well, probably because everyone wants the road plowed and no one is telling you what to do on your own property.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM

211 posts, read 150,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Unless you live in a neighborhood controlled by Protective Covenants (aka Restrictive Covenants) OR if you live in a designated Historic District, your neighbor can do whatever he darn well chooses, and you can't say or do a thing about it. Most people won't desecrate their own home just to spite their neighbor, no matter how much of a PITA they are. BUT you never know... I don't think that there is a judge in New Hampshire that would take your case seriously. If you want control over your neighbor's property that they own, pay taxes on and maintain, then by all means, find a newer home subdivision with pages and pages of rules & restrictions.

Here's an interesting story that I came across a few years back, about a home in a historic district
https://www.collinsflags.com/blog/flag-fun/an-american-flag-house

We tried living that way for a few years out in the St. Louis area. Grass had to be 3" or less. Weeds were not allowed to go to flower (I happen to prefer clover and dandelions--important for honey bees!). I was supposed to get permission from the 'architectural committee' to paint my front door from taupe to red. Guess what--I didn't (get permission, that is. My RED DOOR was the envy of the neighborhood. I also didn't ask permission to cut down the scrubby pine tree that the builder had put in. We were the rebels of the neighborhood I refused to pay my HOA dues because the committee was appointed, not voted on as was in the covenants. Yes "I" was a gigantic PIA, and it was great fun. This is before my real estate days...) My neighbors weren't allowed to put a Sunsetter Awning above their French patio doors (St. Louis heat is BRUTAL!). Friends that we made out there just couldn't understand our aversion to all of these rules, that we, as property owners, should be able to make these choices. Can't tell you how many times I hears "But just think of your property values... what if....???" Well guess what. We moved back HOME, live in an older (60s/70s) neighborhood with no restrictions. Our homes are tan, grey, white, one or two blue ones, a red one, a cream-colored one. One has a split-rail fence. Another has a stockade fence. Most of have no fence at all. Nobody has painted polka-dots, stripes or glow-in-the-dark faces (that sounds kinda fun). We're not Maybury--there are a few neighbors who don't talk to one another, but that's how it is anywhere. Take it or leave it
You can do what you want to a point, depending on zoning. You may be limited as how many unregistered cars you have on your property for example. One other poster mentioned a pig farm, again you may need be located in an agricultural zone of town to do it. We own four acres in the center of town. We had to meet with zoning, they sent letters to our twenty abutters, so we could have 12 chickens.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
You're absolutely correct NNE. I should have said that the OP could paint or decorate his house any way he chose (not that he could do as he darn well chooses). Poor choice of words on my part.

Gee, you'd think that on 4 acres you could have a dozen chickens without a problem! Many residents in my town are beyond irate that zoning has decreed that one must have 2 acres of land in order to have even a single chicken. It's gone before the board a couple of times, but to no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
You can do what you want to a point, depending on zoning. You may be limited as how many unregistered cars you have on your property for example. One other poster mentioned a pig farm, again you may need be located in an agricultural zone of town to do it. We own four acres in the center of town. We had to meet with zoning, they sent letters to our twenty abutters, so we could have 12 chickens.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 729,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
One association which is more common where I live is a "road owners association." These are formed for residents along roads where the town does not provide road maintenance, for example, a former farm that has been subdivided into home lots. The lots have covenants which make participation in the assoc mandatory, and everyone has to ante up money for plowing and road repairs. In my experience, this usually works out pretty well, probably because everyone wants the road plowed and no one is telling you what to do on your own property.
i did look at on set of COVENANTS and there was not to be an RV parked on the property. and heres a good one they said that no reptiles were allowed either no loud barking dogs i can understand that one but some of the rule make no effing sense. it's not like i'm gonna paint the house hot pink with bright yellow polka dots and put a rusted out school bus in the back yard and use it for a storage shed. anther funnt thing is these homes are surrounded by trees like anyone can even see whats going on and like i would even worry about any of this nonsense of to many cars in the drive unregistered vehicles rvs parked on the property. i have more important things to worry about other than that nonsense

Last edited by ground_pounder; 03-30-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire