U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
I live in a rural area in another part of the sate so I like rural but there is nothing at all charming about Keene that I can see. It's a dump and that part of the state has a higher concentration of weirdos than any other part of the state.
We are vibing on that town lol. I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times
Wierdos? Guess so, if you count voters that did not vote for Trump. We tend to be more liberal around here. I suppose you folks consider Nashua's strip malls to be attractive? Or maybe the wall to wall tourist traps in the lakes? Maybe Berlin is your style?

To each their own.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:04 AM

445 posts, read 290,935 times
Compared to many parts of the U.S., Keene is extremely charming. However, I can see why natives would not find Keene charming when compared to other towns in NH.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM

903 posts, read 514,426 times
There are no unsafe parts of Keene. It's a little, homogeneous town tucked in natural beauty. If you want a quiet, safe, little town, Keene is perfect. I was born and raised there, and to me it was mind-numbingly boring, but to each their own. If you live by the college, you will obviously end up dealing with the noise and drunken antics of college kids, but it is never that serious.

It is a place with an interesting mix of Free Staters, tree-huggers, rednecks, typical small town folk, families, etc.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 PM

161 posts, read 103,213 times
Keene is pretty safe. The downtown is charming and its full of allot of cool restaurants and cafe's. It has a decent selection of big box stores, but like others have said, if you can't find what your looking for in Keene, you may have to drive far out to get it (or you can use Amazon). It is a secluded town. There really is nothing around Keene and I-93 goes no where near it. With that being said, it doesn't feel like your in the middle of no where when you are in Keene. Well, at least I don't-- having come from a much smaller town than Keene, it feels like a city to me. And it being a college town, it is somewhat a happening place. It is flatter than most of the state as well.
People saying Keene has allot of weirdos in it. Well, yes that is an observation most of us agree with. But it is very safe nonetheless. I don't think it has a higher concentration of weirdos than the larger cities in the state. It may just be because its smaller you notice it more.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM

6,719 posts, read 11,734,498 times
Really don't understand why some people (you know who you are) have to come back and post nasty things about Keene when they haven't lived here for years (and some of the things they HAVE posted in the past are simply wrong ... I won't call them lies, I'd prefer to believe that the posters just had negative experiences here and so all of their memories are colored by those negative memories ... but then I am trying to be generous).

OP, I've lived in the Monadnock region for 15 years now and mostly I love it, but then, I have a beautiful house in a lovely neighborhood of non-cookie-cutter homes, and I am mostly a homebody. Keene property taxes are indeed outrageous (I used to live in Keene up by the high school -- I still own that house but now rent it out -- lots of great neighborhoods up there but the taxes are nuts). Now I live in a neighboring town and my tax rate is MUCH lower.

I enjoy walking around Keene's downtown -- I've been there late at night by myself (e.g. leaving a restaurant and my friends went in a different direction) and have never felt unsafe.

I definitely wouldn't want to live within a few blocks of Keene State College because of the possibility of noise problems and traffic when the college is in session, but there are wonderful neighborhoods within a half-hour commute (and many are MUCH closer, e.g. 10 to 15 minutes' drive). I have a lot of colleagues who live in Dublin and Peterborough and they are very happy in those places. I personally wanted city water/sewer (there's nothing wrong with septic/well, I've just never HAD them before so didn't want to deal with them) so I stayed closer to Keene.

To be honest, I will likely leave NH after retirement -- I make a good salary now NH's lack of an income tax is very beneficial and I can easily afford the property taxes, but after retirement the lack of an income tax won't help much and the property taxes will likely feel onerous. But as a working person I pretty much love it here.

Oh, this is my backyard during a storm a little over a month ago ...

THIS is one of the reasons I love it here. It's beautiful and peaceful. (OK, tomorrow may be nuts as the forecast is now saying 14-18" of snow , but as long as we don't lose power, I'll be a happy camper ... and power outages are VERY rare in my neighborhood, knock wood! )

Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Really don't understand why some people (you know who you are) have to come back and post nasty things about Keene when they haven't lived here for years (and some of the things they HAVE posted in the past are simply wrong ... I won't call them lies, I'd prefer to believe that the posters just had negative experiences here and so all of their memories are colored by those negative memories ... but then I am trying to be generous).

OP, I've lived in the Monadnock region for 15 years now and mostly I love it, but then, I have a beautiful house in a lovely neighborhood of non-cookie-cutter homes, and I am mostly a homebody. Keene property taxes are indeed outrageous (I used to live in Keene up by the high school -- I still own that house but now rent it out -- lots of great neighborhoods up there but the taxes are nuts). Now I live in a neighboring town and my tax rate is MUCH lower.

I enjoy walking around Keene's downtown -- I've been there late at night by myself (e.g. leaving a restaurant and my friends went in a different direction) and have never felt unsafe.

I definitely wouldn't want to live within a few blocks of Keene State College because of the possibility of noise problems and traffic when the college is in session, but there are wonderful neighborhoods within a half-hour commute (and many are MUCH closer, e.g. 10 to 15 minutes' drive). I have a lot of colleagues who live in Dublin and Peterborough and they are very happy in those places. I personally wanted city water/sewer (there's nothing wrong with septic/well, I've just never HAD them before so didn't want to deal with them) so I stayed closer to Keene.

To be honest, I will likely leave NH after retirement -- I make a good salary now NH's lack of an income tax is very beneficial and I can easily afford the property taxes, but after retirement the lack of an income tax won't help much and the property taxes will likely feel onerous. But as a working person I pretty much love it here.

Oh, this is my backyard during a storm a little over a month ago ...

THIS is one of the reasons I love it here. It's beautiful and peaceful. (OK, tomorrow may be nuts as the forecast is now saying 14-18" of snow , but as long as we don't lose power, I'll be a happy camper ... and power outages are VERY rare in my neighborhood, knock wood! )
you can call my experiences wrong all you want but I lived them and I've stuck to my experiences since they happened. Clearly others share my thoughts as well. Its fine and I don't care either way lol. I know its hared to believe but there is life outside of small town, small minded places in NH. NH can spin Keene any way it wants. Its a tiny town in the middle of nowhere NH. I've lived in neighborhoods bigger than the entire town.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,809,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
you can call my experiences wrong all you want but I lived them and I've stuck to my experiences since they happened. Clearly others share my thoughts as well. Its fine and I don't care either way lol. I know its hared to believe but there is life outside of small town, small minded places in NH. NH can spin Keene any way it wants. Its a tiny town in the middle of nowhere NH. I've lived in neighborhoods bigger than the entire town.
Not everyone is meant to live in NH, that's for sure. You prove that point perfectly, on many occasions. Everyone has a different perspective. I'm a native New Englander but I've lived all around the world. I don't really understand or agree with your perspectives on NH but that's to be expected as we all see different things given the same situation. You seem like a FL person to me.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyeseattle View Post
Hello everybody.

Thank you very much for the info. I had seen a very large house for rent on Water Street for a very low price, so I thought it might have something to do with the neighborhood.

LeviDunn--I am moving to Keene only because I miss four seasons and I'm a big history buff. I want to live in a small town because I'm getting older. You can't imagine the insane traffic problems here in Seattle, and the city doesn't do anything about it. Meanwhile, it seems the entire country has moved here.

In New Hampshire, the mountains are beautiful and I can really imagine putting stakes down there. I originally moved West from the Midwest years ago and now it's time to live in New England.
I just stumbled on this. I know someone that lives on Water Street (close to Main Street) in Keene. They have been there 2 years and never had a problem. They are able to walk to just about everything in the area which is great. They do so day and night without fear. I can't tell you if there are any truly bad areas of Keene but Water Street seems to be fine from what I can tell. Jay

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM

6,719 posts, read 11,734,498 times
Quote:
you can call my experiences wrong all you want but I lived them and I've stuck to my experiences since they happened.
Sweetbottoms, some of the things you have posted in the past were simply "wrong" as in factually incorrect -- I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought that you weren't lying, you were simply not remembering correctly because you hated it here so much. (In other threads I wrote specifics about some of those things -- don't have the time or inclination to repeat them here.)

Quote:
I know its hared to believe but there is life outside of small town, small minded places in NH.
What a silly statement. I grew up in the Air Force and lived in many places both in the USA and overseas, then lived in Berkeley CA and Ann Arbor MI for grad school. Of course there's life outside of small towns (and it's fine if you hate them -- not all of us do). That wasn't the question of this thread. Anyone who is thinking of moving to Keene NH already KNOWS it's a small town.

And "small minded"? PEOPLE are small-minded, places aren't. You can find small-minded people anywhere, not just in small towns like Keene.

[Oh, my small-town (definitely not small-minded) neighbor blew all the snow off the end of my driveway yesterday -- I'd snow-blown once on Tuesday at the end of the storm but the plows came again overnight so I was out again yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Then I saw that I didn't have to do a thing -- my neighbor had already done it for me. THAT'S the kind of small-town thing I love about where I live. ]

Quote:
NH can spin Keene any way it wants. Its a tiny town in the middle of nowhere NH. I've lived in neighborhoods bigger than the entire town.
Um, I've lived in neighborhoods bigger than the whole town of Keene as well. So what? Do we get brownie points for that? I mean, seriously, what does that statement have to do with the purpose of this thread?

We get it, Sweetbottoms. You hated it here. You also seem to not like Florida much, and if you move to North Carolina you will likely not like that either. (Anyone noticing a trend? ) I hope you find a place you are happy in, but somehow ... well ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or