U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 AM

446 posts, read 568,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hampton Beach was done over a few years ago and it looks pretty good now. They've cleaned it up and it's a respectable place now, by the looks of it.

I love the NH coast even though I usually end up going to Maine. But those beaches I drive past--like Rye Beach or Jenness or Wallis Sands look gorgeous. Trouble is, where to park--but I'm making a point of going to one this summer.
I live close enough to Hampton Beach to go over there occasionally, park, & then go for a walk or jog. Either on the beach (when it's above water), or along the seawall. Last time, on one of those warm days this Winter, there were a few piles of Dog Poop on the walkway along the seawall. What!?? And last Fall, there were 3 crazed bicyclists zooming past along the seawall, which is marked every 20 ft. or so, "NO BICYCLES". They looked like middle-aged dorks, who should know better.

But usually it's great--nice beach--in summer & Fall. Great to live near a beach like that, & go there for even 1/2 an hour & walk & try to rachet down the Angst of Ordinary Life a bit. "Clear one's head"; all that.

For me tho, Kennebunk Beach is just so beautiful. I used to want to live near there. And York Harbor Beach is gorgeous. Oh, & Two Lights state park at the tip of Cape Elizabeth. Maine has it's charms, more than NH IMO.

BTW--what are all these great seafood places on the NH coast? Haven't really found them yet. Al's Seafood in N. Hampton is great to buy fresh fish to cook, but the one time I got Take-Out fish & chips, it was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM

18,041 posts, read 17,182,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I live close enough to Hampton Beach to go over there occasionally, park, & then go for a walk or jog. Either on the beach (when it's above water), or along the seawall. Last time, on one of those warm days this Winter, there were a few piles of Dog Poop on the walkway along the seawall. What!?? And last Fall, there were 3 crazed bicyclists zooming past along the seawall, which is marked every 20 ft. or so, "NO BICYCLES". They looked like middle-aged dorks, who should know better.

But usually it's great--nice beach--in summer & Fall. Great to live near a beach like that, & go there for even 1/2 an hour & walk & try to rachet down the Angst of Ordinary Life a bit. "Clear one's head"; all that.

For me tho, Kennebunk Beach is just so beautiful. I used to want to live near there. And York Harbor Beach is gorgeous. Oh, & Two Lights state park at the tip of Cape Elizabeth. Maine has it's charms, more than NH IMO.

BTW--what are all these great seafood places on the NH coast? Haven't really found them yet. Al's Seafood in N. Hampton is great to buy fresh fish to cook, but the one time I got Take-Out fish & chips, it was awful.
The only really good, fresh and reasonably priced fish and chips I've found (outside of the UK) is at Lena's on Salisbury Beach. It's another run down beach but it's in transition. It's worth it to go after beach hours, take cash because they don't accept credit cards, and order their fish and chips. They may not be open yet and they may start out just being open weekends until the warm weather gets here.

I had beautiful baked haddock today at Warren's Lobster House in Kittery. But I don't know of any good seafood place on the NH coast. Brown's isn't that good, I don't think. Long lines in summer so some people must like it. One time I went to the place across the road from Brown's and they wanted a small fortune just for fish and chips!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM

2,317 posts, read 2,628,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The only really good, fresh and reasonably priced fish and chips I've found (outside of the UK) is at Lena's on Salisbury Beach. It's another run down beach but it's in transition. It's worth it to go after beach hours, take cash because they don't accept credit cards, and order their fish and chips. They may not be open yet and they may start out just being open weekends until the warm weather gets here.

I had beautiful baked haddock today at Warren's Lobster House in Kittery. But I don't know of any good seafood place on the NH coast. Brown's isn't that good, I don't think. Long lines in summer so some people must like it. One time I went to the place across the road from Brown's and they wanted a small fortune just for fish and chips!
I agree about Browns, highly overrated. Peteys has always been consistently good, Rays ( on the same stretch is hit or miss but more hit. Little Jacks used to be good but I have heard it went in a downward spiral
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or