U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 5,962 times

Advertisements

After a few years in NH, my family is unexpectedly relocating. Fortunately, we have until the end of July before the move takes over our lives. Where would you go (with preschoolers) if you had no plans to ever return to New England? We're going to Denver, and I'd love to create a bucket list of places to try to visit in the upcoming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM

421 posts, read 196,617 times
I don't think I could ever make plans to never come back, even if it was only to visit...

Dunno, a bit harder with preschoolers. I'd go and visit the maple syrup shacks. I think Warner has (had?) a day where all the places were open, and encouraged the public to come in and see the syrup being boiled.

Going to guess hitting up our ski slopes isn't going to be too special... neither is driving up say Kearsarge. Maybe go up into Maine and enjoy the coastline for a bit.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 20,938 times
If going to Warner, check out the Indian Museum on the way up to Kearsarge, they have various events that might be
neat for the little ones.

I would have to add visiting the Ocean as well and maybe a trip to Ben and Jerrys across the border in Vermont..

Old 03-09-2017, 05:40 PM

470 posts, read 299,175 times
See Acadia National Park if you haven't.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:41 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,773,844 times
If you were heading someplace other than Colorado, I would suggest the Mount Washington Auto Road sometime in June or July when you have the best chance for a clear day. Or better yet, a ride to the top on The Cog. But after having a number of clients who referred to our beautiful White Mountains as 'cute little baby mountains' I would instead suggest time at the coast and on the water....

Here are some of my ideas: Take a ride on the M/S Mount Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee, or maybe on one of the mailboats instead. The Doris E and the Sophie C have been delivering mail to the island residents for a decades and growing up, summer wasn't over till we had a boat ride on one of them (I didn't get on the Mount Washington till I was an adult )

Take a walkabout tour of Star Island (one of the Isles of Shoals off the NH/Maine coast). The Isles of Shoals Steamship Company website shoukd have schedules & prices. If your little ones are too small to navigate the rocky trails, you can opt for a sunset cruise instead.

Take a whale watch-early in the season is usually very active, and with humpbacks, many are named. It's always exciting (to me anyway) to see who has come back up north with a new calf! You're best off traveling down to the Cape because the feeding grounds are just off the coast of P-town so you'll spend more time with the whales and less time motoring out to them...

Visit some of the mid-coast Maine villages, and see as many lighthouses as you can. The light at Pemaquid Point is on the Maine state quarter. Popham Beach State Park is NOT to be missed! You will never want to leave. Casco Bay, you could explore for days.

Of course you'll want to stuff yourself with seafood I've done my time in the midwest and fresh seafood was always our 1st meal when we came back east for a visit. Lobster in the rough, a couple quarts of steamers, plenty of drawn butter.... mmmm nothing beats it! Or even fried clams, a baked haddock or halibut dinner. Boy, getting hungry just thinking of it...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. To me, all of these things are uniquely New England...

Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM

These are great ideas!! We camped Acadia last summer so we'll skip it for the sake of time. I've always been curious about Millionaire's Row in Newport, RI and my d about Martha's Vineyard. I probably need to book something for Martha's Vineyard immediately since it's so popular.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 AM

1,294 posts, read 835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_mama View Post
These are great ideas!! We camped Acadia last summer so we'll skip it for the sake of time. I've always been curious about Millionaire's Row in Newport, RI and my d about Martha's Vineyard. I probably need to book something for Martha's Vineyard immediately since it's so popular.
When do you plan to go to the Vineyard? The season doesn't kick off for a couple of months yet and a lot of places will be closed now. If you plan to go in the Summer and expect to take your car over, I suggest you book your ferry reservations now.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
When do you plan to go to the Vineyard? The season doesn't kick off for a couple of months yet and a lot of places will be closed now. If you plan to go in the Summer and expect to take your car over, I suggest you book your ferry reservations now.
June? I thought it was easy to get around for a couple days without a car so I wasn't planning on bringing it.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_mama View Post
June? I thought it was easy to get around for a couple days without a car so I wasn't planning on bringing it.
Not if you want to see the whole island. There are 6 towns and it's about 100 sq miles of land mass. I suppose it depends on whether you want to see the actual place, or just plant yourself in one town. I suppose you could take a tour bus or something but, ick.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:58 AM

470 posts, read 299,175 times
I also recommend the harbor cruise in Portsmouth that goes around the Isle of Shoals. And the "Discovery Pass" which gets you into Flume Gorge and the tram that goes up Cannon Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire