U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 AM

72 posts, read 259,488 times

Advertisements

Hi Bedford folks,

Couldn't find anything on the town website, other than they are not allowed in cluster developments.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times
Thumbs up Poultry in Bedford NH

Per Bedford Zoning, if in the "General Residential Zone", you need a variance to keep poultry.

Parts of Bedford are rural enough that you could just build a coop and nobody will complain.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM

114 posts, read 74,996 times
I have seen multiple coops in Bedford. Being said, your best bet would to be to call the town just in case. Throughout the state many towns allow chickens based off acreage.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Definitely call the Town before you start raising the things. Do not let them "free range" over your laws or you will be always washing your shoes. Chicken crap can get all over the place.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
I recommend calling the town as a 'possible future resident' who is inquiring before purchasing a property in town. I live in a town where residents are not allowed to have a chicken or two unless they have a minimum of 2 acres. Ridiculous and sad, in my opinion, for the following reasons:

1) Locally raised hens produce healthier eggs, particularly if they are fed an organic and/or high-omega feed.

2) Chickens are great for reducing the amount of food scraps that would otherwise be thrown into the trash, and eventually put into the landfill. Those on public sewer are likely to use a garbage disposal, and I'm sure there just aren't many folks who have compost bins...

3) Tick and insect control: New Hampshire has the dubious honor of having some of the highest numbers of new Lyme Disease cases. As mom to one of the earliest Lyme Disease patients diagnosed in the state of NH, I can verify that contrary to the CDC would have you believe, Lyme Disease (and other tick-borne diseases) is NOT easy to treat with a quick round of antibiotics, and for many sufferers, the months (or years) of trying to get a diagnosis for a confusing and ever-changing set of symptoms is enough to make you think you're just going crazy (in fact, many doctors have suggested that these patients are simply 'looking for attention' or having some sort of mental breakdown. AND all that time without a diagnosis and treatment allows the bacteria to multiply throughout the body. Sorry, I'll stop now. I can easily get out of control when talking about LD and the pathetic medical response to this growing issue...

If you are allowed to have chickens (or feel that you can easily hide them from the powers that be), I would recommend one of those movable coops OR possibly free-ranging in a particular area that can be moved - best if there is an overhead to reduce the number of losses from winged predators (hawks & owl counts are on the rise). Good luck! There are so many breeds with various personalities, sizes and colors of eggs, and appetite for insects. Research is important Looking forward to eventually living in town that will allow us to have a few chickens on a smaller piece of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Definitely call the Town before you start raising the things. Do not let them "free range" over your laws or you will be always washing your shoes. Chicken crap can get all over the place.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM

ValC - Good points on the value of chickens. I buy our "farm eggs" from a farmer on Peabody Row. The eggs are far tastier than the "store eggs". Chickens are very good at removing insects and grubs from a garden. As I said they are also good at spreading chicken poop all over the place. It gets on your shoes and then everywhere your shoes go.

Your suggestion of using movable cages with tops is a good one. I spotted a Red Tail Hawk this morning on Old Nashua Road. A chicken cage without a top is a hawk buffet.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 AM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Your suggestion of using movable cages with tops is a good one. I spotted a Red Tail Hawk this morning on Old Nashua Road. A chicken cage without a top is a hawk buffet.
A family member over in Auburn had just under 100 chickens (along with a couple of goats that loved to be tethered near the old rock walls to eat the poison ivy that was uncontrollable by any other means). Those chickens lived on 5+ acres, free range from morning till sunset every day. Never once saw or got a tick when visiting with them, and my 2 dogs never picked up a tick over there either. Eventually though, word got out amongst 'the critters' and once they learned that the buffet was open, it took less than 3 months for the entire flock to be wiped out. Hawks and foxes by day, and raccoons by night (we think). Now they buy their eggs from someone who keeps their chickens in a traditional coop with a small area to roam. Sure was fun while it lasted though

Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM

I relearned the chicken poop and shoes connection while visiting a person that free ranged her chickens until a Bobcat started sitting at the edge of the woods waiting for lunch to wander by. The cat was not shy at all.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM

22 posts, read 50,896 times
I live in Bedford, several of my neighbors have had chickens for years, openly visible, roosters crowing....no one has ever complained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire