Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:28 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Maybe the tax bill ends up being about the same regardless of town?
Ummm....... No. A $300k house in a high tax town is a significantly higher tax bill than a $300k house in a low tax town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:07 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Ummm....... No. A $300k house in a high tax town is a significantly higher tax bill than a $300k house in a low tax town.
That's why I said:

> Looking at the towns around the sea coast, it seems in general that towns with higher property values have lower tax rates.

A $300K house in a town with $25 / $1000 tax rate would have the same tax bill as a $600K house in a town with a $12.5 / $1000 tax rate.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM

147 posts, read 268,622 times
Rye and NewCastle? Oh....Newington too off the top of my head. Your right....lower rates and more expensive valuations generally......but they all also have something else in common.....no school districts if I am not mistaken. They all are shipped out to a local.....Portsmouth for all I think. Rye has an elementary.....

Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Yes, NewCastle, Rye, and Newington are all <$15, Portsmouth is $17, Durham, Lee, and Madbury are all >$25.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Only issue with Newcastle, Rye, and Newington is the homes are more expensive for the same home elsewhere.....although over time? I like all 3, but just couldnt do Rye and I lived off Lang Rd for a bit over a year so we really looked around here......we looked and the same home for 450 in Rye was 340-ish(or less generally) in Durham/Madbury in 2006/7(most homes are 400ish it seems to me), and a tad less in Lee. Portsmouth is nice....Greenland too. We looked at N.Hampton....but just found a waterfront home in Madbury that was our style, and was new with guaranteed plowing by the state, so we can always get out if we can get snowblower started. We get zero services from Madbury as even the police and fire come from Durham. Anyway.....you may look at Portsmouth....great town overall. Little more dense, but has pretty much everything and is 50 minutes from Boston and an hour or so from Portland, ME. I think the schools are good there too. Also is a tad cooler in summer and a bit warmer in winter. Good overall services......you can also have natural gas in most of Portsmouth. Plus, as mentioned, their prop taxes arent as high, but properties are a tad more overall....

Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 AM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
You might pay more for a similar house, but if you pay less in taxes you are better off because your money is building equity in your home instead of a bottomless government pit. I have a few friends in Pittsfield who are paying the same monthly payment in property tax + mortgage on their 100k homes as friends up here in the Lakes region with their 200k+ homes.

Of course, there are other factors at play, too. Like OS school district, which people are obsessed about getting into.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
You might pay more for a similar house, but if you pay less in taxes you are better off because your money is building equity in your home instead of a bottomless government pit. I have a few friends in Pittsfield who are paying the same monthly payment in property tax + mortgage on their 100k homes as friends up here in the Lakes region with their 200k+ homes.

Of course, there are other factors at play, too. Like OS school district, which people are obsessed about getting into.
You said it. We didnt have children in school when we moved here.....it was just the house in the right location. As I have said I am for all getting a great education.....but this is about 670/mo of my property tax bill. Ive also noticed our town likes to keep the spread equal.....2 to 1....so they are finding ways to spend money, needed or not, in my estimation. So as school taxes go up, mysteriously the ratio always stays the same. New fire truck this year, new library on the horizon.....purchases of parcels of land for "preservation"? Is that the best way to spend our funds? Fire truck....I guess, but remember we are a town of 2000-ish....and our truck is 27 years old.

Anyhow....yes, it seems ORSD is up on a pedestal as are a few other districts. I hear, dont actually know anyone, people move as soon as the kids are out of school, unless they work at UNH or very local....even then it may pay to move.

I have said they just keep sucking the money out of my home to pay for education......its costing a lot more than the 670/mo. On the other hand if it is in such demand our home value should be shooting up, but it is not. This is due to the property taxes I am sure. Buy a new vehicle too, and that is a shocker.....I paid 1100 for a new work van the first year....the second it dropped to 800 something.....then you pay tolls etc? Seems excessive here too. Everywhere I have lived my registrations were no more than 25 bucks....I also pay a state income tax just because I own my own business....why? So much for the no state income tax in NH.

Anyhow.....Levi said it. I have thought of Alton Bay or Wakefield, but that is just far enough to make it inconvenient. There is a point where I look to the future of retirement and I will have to pay 1000 month just to live in my own home.......so I look at sharing the expenses and dont like the idea of other taxes, I can see where a sales or income tax if applied straight to property expenses I probably would look at. I know that we moved specifically to NH because of the tax situation, but my attitude is a-changing. And I hate that!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
Went under contract on a house in Lee. We are scheduled to close June 23rd. Thank you to those that offered comments and suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire