U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 AM
 
106 posts, read 83,909 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Manchester to attend grad school. From reading this forum, I've concluded it's either a beautiful New England city or a drug-infested, crime-ridden slum that should be avoided at all costs (or something in between). I'm wondering if any locals have any recommendations or advice about relocating to the area. Is Manchester really a bad place to live? What about Nashua, Concord, Hooksett, or Londonderry? Are there any specific places that you would recommend avoiding? I read a post about avoiding apartments in the tree-streets area.

I'm moving from the Bangor, Maine area and I've lived in Maine my entire life. Other than traveling on 95 to get to Boston, I've never really been to New Hampshire but I assume it's very culturally similar to Maine and obviously the winter weather won't be a problem for me.

Just from reading posts on this forum, it seems like Manchester and Bangor have a lot in common. The crimes rates are pretty similar, the heroin epidemic has risen in recent years, and both have an area called the "Tree Streets" that should be avoided.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 PM
 
Location: WMHT
3,936 posts, read 3,949,489 times
Reputation: 5349
Exclamation If you spend any time in the Manchester area, it's usually pretty clear which areas are a bad place to live

Housing costs increase as you get into towns within commuting distance of Boston and the 495 corridor, so Nashua and Londonderry can be expensive, while Hooksett, Concord an the small towns further from the expressway will be somewhat more affordable, but they tend to have less rental housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
I'm considering moving to Manchester to attend grad school. From reading this forum, I've concluded it's either a beautiful New England city or a drug-infested, crime-ridden slum that should be avoided at all costs (or something in between). I'm wondering if any locals have any recommendations or advice about relocating to the area. Is Manchester really a bad place to live? What about Nashua, Concord, Hooksett, or Londonderry? Are there any specific places that you would recommend avoiding? I read a post about avoiding apartments in the tree-streets area.
Manchester and Nashua have some of the worst neighborhoods in New Hampshire, with some of the most visible drug and crime problems in the state. Which is to say, a few parts of these cities are not particularly dangerous during the day, but potentially risky after dark.

I would ask people who currently attend the school you are looking at for their recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Nashua area, NH
278 posts, read 585,274 times
Reputation: 399
If you're coming from Bangor, you'll be fine in Manchester. Manchester is certainly bigger than Bangor, but as you say, statistically they are similar in terms of drug misuse and crime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
 
106 posts, read 83,909 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Housing costs increase as you get into towns within commuting distance of Boston and the 495 corridor, so Nashua and Londonderry can be expensive, while Hooksett, Concord an the small towns further from the expressway will be somewhat more affordable, but they tend to have less rental housing.


Manchester and Nashua have some of the worst neighborhoods in New Hampshire, with some of the most visible drug and crime problems in the state. Which is to say, a few parts of these cities are not particularly dangerous during the day, but potentially risky after dark.

I would ask people who currently attend the school you are looking at for their recommendations.
The school I'm looking at is SNHU. The only people I know who have attended did it online and stayed in Maine. I prefer live classes and I've been itching to move for a while so this seems like a good time to relocate. If I move, I doubt I'd be living in Manchester more than two years anyways because my degree would probably have me looking at jobs in Boston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,597 posts, read 12,707,505 times
Reputation: 4354
There are areas in Manchester that I would avoid after dark if I was alone or with a small group of ladies, but overall I feel pretty safe in the downtown area even on my own... As a SNHU student, can we assume that youre looking at rental options rather than buying? If so, know that rental options will be severely limited in Londonderry. Nashua would be a pain in the neck to get to SNHU. I woukd suggest concentrating on Hooksett, THEN Manchester and Concord. Hope this helps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 03:12 PM
 
Location: central NH
421 posts, read 351,258 times
Reputation: 284
I work in MHT and kinda hate it. Always glad to see it in the mirror. But I'm biased, I live in the sticks. Anyplace with traffic lights is too big for me.

I don't think it's that bad, and there's a chance you aren't going to live in the cheapest part of MHT. It can get expensive around the area though.

Good luck. I used to live in Old Town. I hated leaving, but after living in NH I can't imagine going back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 PM
 
106 posts, read 83,909 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
There are areas in Manchester that I would avoid after dark if I was alone or with a small group of ladies, but overall I feel pretty safe in the downtown area even on my own... As a SNHU student, can we assume that youre looking at rental options rather than buying? If so, know that rental options will be severely limited in Londonderry. Nashua would be a pain in the neck to get to SNHU. I woukd suggest concentrating on Hooksett, THEN Manchester and Concord. Hope this helps
Yes, thank you. I will be renting but if apartments are hard to come by in Londonderry, I imagine they're probably more expensive. On Google Maps, it looks like part of SNHU is either in Hooksett or borders it so Hooksett will definitely be on my list when it comes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I work in MHT and kinda hate it. Always glad to see it in the mirror. But I'm biased, I live in the sticks. Anyplace with traffic lights is too big for me.

I don't think it's that bad, and there's a chance you aren't going to live in the cheapest part of MHT. It can get expensive around the area though.

Good luck. I used to live in Old Town. I hated leaving, but after living in NH I can't imagine going back.
I'll have to take what you said with a grain of salt then... I'm the opposite and I can't stand living in the sticks. I've lived near Bangor for four years and I've definitely seen a decline in the quality of life in the city. I don't blame you for not wanting to come back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: central NH
421 posts, read 351,258 times
Reputation: 284
Has it gone down, up there? I went back a few years ago, and was mostly turned off by the long drive. I'm not sure how I managed the 5 hour drive on a weekly basis (future wife was still up there); but going up to Acadia and then over to UMaine... long drive. I didn't stick around long to wander into Bangor. Seemed ok back then, but then again I was coming from rural Maine to the university.

You might like southern NH, assuming you stick around the 93 corridor. Hooksett isn't bad but I don't think of it as having much. I've only stuck to Rt 3 and Rt 28 though. There's a bit of a strip off I93 exit 10, Walmart, Home Depot, few other stores; but you may find it a bit lacking.

Have you looked on Google maps to "see" the area? I have to admit, once or twice I've hit up the street view to see what areas I used to live in now look like (see the houses, driveways, etc).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 09:13 AM
 
106 posts, read 83,909 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Has it gone down, up there? I went back a few years ago, and was mostly turned off by the long drive. I'm not sure how I managed the 5 hour drive on a weekly basis (future wife was still up there); but going up to Acadia and then over to UMaine... long drive. I didn't stick around long to wander into Bangor. Seemed ok back then, but then again I was coming from rural Maine to the university.

You might like southern NH, assuming you stick around the 93 corridor. Hooksett isn't bad but I don't think of it as having much. I've only stuck to Rt 3 and Rt 28 though. There's a bit of a strip off I93 exit 10, Walmart, Home Depot, few other stores; but you may find it a bit lacking.

Have you looked on Google maps to "see" the area? I have to admit, once or twice I've hit up the street view to see what areas I used to live in now look like (see the houses, driveways, etc).
Well not necessarily, I guess. It could be worse. Bangor is a bit more druggy and the buildings and houses near downtown could need a paint job... or a bulldozer. KMart and Macy's announced that they're closing and I think I heard a rumor that JCPenny will too but there's still a strong business presence in downtown. More people are starting to move to the surrounding towns and commuting for work. I'm not in Old Town very often but I don't think much has changed there.

I looked at Manchester in street mode after you posted that. I think it looks nice. It seems very clean and there's more to do. I did see a couple houses on the side streets that look like possible meth labs, though but it seems like the good kind of outweighs the bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 03:10 PM
 
37 posts, read 74,411 times
Reputation: 59
I have lived in both Bangor, Maine, and Hooksett, NH, although Bangor was many years ago. Hooksett and Manchester are much nicer and you'll enjoy them. SNHU is right on the Manchester, Hooksett line and has a nice campus. Sometimes people on the forums tend to exaggerate the "danger" factor when, in reality, you're pretty safe in most places anywhere in Maine or NH. I liked Manchester when I worked there and lived in Hooksett. I still visit every year in the summer and have good friends there. Look around for apartments in Hooksett and areas of Manchester that are closer to Hooksett. Good luck with your search. You won't regret the move for a better education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top